Fitzalan Square: what's the history of the old Post Office?

Hello everyone,

I'm an architecture student at Sheffield Uni doing a project based around Fitzalan Square.

I was just wondering if anyone knew the history of the post office, as far as I know, it was build in July of 1910 on the site of the previous Queens Cutlery Works and was used throughout 20th century in the 60/70 I think it was going to be knocked down to facilitate the construction of a bigger more spacious site for the GPO however this didn't go ahead. If any one can elaborate on this it would be really appreciated, what it has been used for since the Post Office moved out or if its just been stood empty..

Other interesting facts and sources about the goings on in Fitzalan square would also be gratefully welcomed.

Regards Dan. (Joby)

one thng ý always remember about the place..........ýt had about 30 red telephone boxes all around ýt.......maybe a slýght exageratýon there but to an 8 year old there seemd to be loads of em

Of course Fitzalan Square was where the largest single loss of life occurred in Sheffield during the 1939 - 1945 war

There are earlier threads on this area in the Forum but the general picture of what happened that night is on

http://www.chrishobbs.com/marples1940.htm

Some old photos of the square as well

It also used to house the main Telephone Exchange until the 1960's.

I remember working in the upstairs where the telephone operators were based (0 pre-STD days). That would be 1968 to early 70's. They were the manual type boards where the operator would insert a cord in order to answer the call.

You could tell a switchboard op when you met her. She would have a biro with a big rubber bulb on the end which they used for dialling. My dad used to nick 'em when he worked there.

Yea this building takes me back a few years ,as when i passed you could spot the telegram boys with there motor bikes and god did i want to be one of those but not just old enough but a kid lived next door to my mother well he was one.

Originally posted by George

[bwhen i passed you could spot the telegram boys with there motor bikes and god did i want to be one of those. [/b]

You and me both, George.

Do you remember those little three wheeler lorries that used to deliver parcels. Maybe they were railway lorries ?

I was one When was neighbour's lad one

While on the bus yesterday, I was looking at the old building and it's beautiful, I also noticed that it had been sold, so I presume we will have some superb apartments there soon, I would love to have a look round it now.