A Mash or a Brew?

On 09/08/2021 at 11:33, Paul Worrall said:

Hi Broncolives.

I remember those white enamel 'mashin tin's', I had one when I worked at Darnell Shotbasting and British Steel in the early 70's. Is there anywhere than sells them now, I'd love to own one?

Best wishes,

Wazzie Worrall

You could try the Scout Shop on Trippet Lane. I remember buying an enamel plate and cup there about 60 years ago, lol.

Army Stores might sell them if there are any left.

Not coming from Sheffield I was totally flummoxed when asked to 'mash'.

Having very distant Lancashire relatives I had heard of 'brew'.

In our family/area we just said "tea?". This was not a question. It was telling you that your presence was acceptable and your company was required.  Turning down the offer extremely rude. Children who were 'well mannered' were offered tea from an early age and it would be accompanied by a biscuit or two. Immature children got water and no biscuit. Adults were allowed to slurp tea children under 21 were not.

Tea is always made from the original Chinese plant now also grown elsewhere. Anything else eg "Redbush"  or an infusion is not tea.

Most Sheffield water has not been 'soft' for 40+ years with most coming from the Derwent at Elvington near York.

The water quality has more effect on the milk you use than the tea, less on fat free. 

Personally I think there has been a huge improvement in water quality in the last decade- particularly with less chlorine noticeable.

Drinking tea with full-fat milk and sugar is OK and so is tea without milk or sugar. 

Having had to completely stop taking any kind of real or artificial milk I found that I preferred large leaf tea in a pot.

I am a snob when it comes to tea.

On 12/08/2021 at 23:17, Jim Hardie said:

You could try the Scout Shop on Trippet Lane. I remember buying an enamel plate and cup there about 60 years ago, lol.

Army Stores might sell them if there are any left.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the advice, I'll check the Scout Shop which is still on Trippett Lane and the Army Stores at the Wicker and on London Rd.

Cheers, Wazzie Worrall

When my son was at university he was in accommodation shared by students from London. When he asked them if they wanted any tea “ mashing” they looked at him in a puzzled way. He felt more comfortable when he eventually moved to accommodation with mining engineering students from Doncaster and Barnsley.! 
My other son works in Washington DC and when he told the Americans he worked with that he came from Sheffield, England, they said “ Oh, is that between London and Scotland ?

1 hour ago, Paul Worrall said:

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the advice, I'll check the Scout Shop which is still on Trippett Lane and the Army Stores at the Wicker and on London Rd.

Cheers, Wazzie Worrall

Forget the Wicker, Wazzie. Mortimer’s is long gone.