A Mash or a Brew?

I haven't read the whole thread, but there might be a distinction between processing loose leaf tea and using teabags.

i use ringtons gold tea bags,top class.builders tea,i am sure theres others as well,but its my prefered tea

Most are blended, I prefer Redbush types as I like the taste and they are naturally free of caffeine.

I suspect 'Builders' Tea' is a term now only  used by the Metropolitan Liberal Elite having read it somewhere in the Observer Supplement ! Our last builder asked for decaf and we gave him the same from ....Sainsbury's.

The Complete Atlas of the British Isles. Reader's Digest (1965) has x2 pages devoted to Language and Dialects (pages 122/123). According to this publication Mash and Brew are common terms from the South Midlands to the Scottish Border. Other words for 'Mashing' tea include; Mask Tea - Scotland, Wet Tea - The West Country. Soak Tea - Cornwall. It also includes Make, Damp. Draw, Scald and Steep, but doesn't give any particular region for these differences.

Right, it's time to go and Mash!

Cheers, Wazzie Worrall.

Yorkshire Tea use the term "Brew" when it's "mash" in Yorkshire, surely?!

19 hours ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Yorkshire Tea use the term "Brew" when it's "mash" in Yorkshire, surely?!

Agree.  Mashin' a cuppa. 

If you also notice, Yorkshire Tea used to say, "Yorkshire Tea for Yorkshire water."    I could never work that one out, especially if you want to sell the tea around the UK, unless each box of tea bags comes with a free tanker full of Yorkshire water? 

Also the water in Sheffield, (soft water), makes better tasting tea than the water you get up in say, Scarborough, (hard water). 

Not sure if we have soft, medium or hard water here in Northumberland but I get limescale in my kettle.  I think you get it if the water is hard.  Don’t think I got it when I lived in Sheffield so could that be because the water is soft?

I can’t remember hearing people using mash or brew very often when I lived in Sheffield.  When I’m visiting Sheffield now,  it’s would you like a tea or coffee?  

As a young apprentice in the early 60s the first instruction before starting work was to get thisen a mashin can. This was an enamel jug type vessel with a  lid which doubled as a cup. I found these were used in many trades for the function of mashing ya tea. Brew is a Lancastrian invention and nothing to do with Sheffield so get mashin.

Hi Broncolives.

I remember those white enamel 'mashin tin's', I had one when I worked at Darnell Shotbasting and British Steel in the early 70's. Is there anywhere than sells them now, I'd love to own one?

Best wishes,

Wazzie Worrall