Whats best xbox or ps3

Gets my vote every time!

Though obviously not everyone can afford to spend the price on a console just on a PC graphics card. But what I find a lot of console gamers are in denial about is that within 6-12 months of any next gen console, the latest PC hardware will be way out back in front. And of course First Person Shooters were invented on the PC, and in my view have to be played with a mouse and keyboard. You can't get any kind of quick aim precision with a joypad, so they have to compensate with things like auto-aim and aim-snapping which I feel takes something away from the experience.

personly i dont like fps on pc theirs too menny cheeters with wall hacks and aim bots etc and on console im proberly one of a verry few that turns off auto-aim as soon as i get the game i find it more of a hindrance than a help

Well, true. But I don't know a single console owner who has one.

I have to ask though - do all console FPS games support a mouse+keyboard option by default, or it is up to the mercy of the developers who choose whether to offer mouse+keyboard support on a game by game basis? I can imagine there isn't enough mass penetration on consoles (of M+K users) for devs to bother. And don't forget they need to include on a game by game basis the option to configure keyboard and mouse mappings... do all games really have this?

no they dont not menny do

Yes, the initial outlay on hardware will cost you more

not that much more you can get a low end gaming pc for about £400 witch blows ps3/xbox out the water

While technically yes you can build a PC that is many times more powerful than the current consoles, the games aren't always obviously better looking on the PC even though technically they should be.

There have been cases where the PC version of games have been inferior, as developers do not put as much effort in due to the vastly higher piracy rate on PC. There have even been games where all versions have their resolution locked, requiring hacks to unlock your native monitor resolution. Plus, there is something to be said for sticking the disk in the drive and the game just booting up, no hassle (Don't get me started on how much I HATE the PS3 for having PCs drawbacks of requiring games to be installed, Xbox 360 kicks its ass for convenience).

Personally I pretty much stopped PC gaming when the Xbox 360 came out as it became too much of a chore in comparison. Even back then my PC was better than the Xbox but I couldn't tell the difference.

Only recently I picked up the GTA collection on Steam hoping to see a marked improvement on the graphics compared to the Xbox version. At first glance though, despite using more graphics memory, it didn't really seem any different. Sure, side to side comparisons it probably IS better, but who cares if you can't tell in normal use?

One of the problems is that being sat closer to the PC monitor than the TV, the graphics have to be much better on PC to appear comparable to the console from across the room. Sure I could easily plug the PC into the TV, but I do not want to keep it plugged in there all the time so its an extra hassle.

Then there is the fact that console gaming is funding the gaming industry right now. So its not a foregone conclusion that PC gaming is always and will remain superior.

Edited by AlexAtkin

Only recently I picked up the GTA collection on Steam hoping to see a marked improvement on the graphics compared to the Xbox version. At first glance though, despite using more graphics memory, it didn't really seem any different. Sure, side to side comparisons it probably IS better, but who cares if you can't tell in normal use?

You've obviously never heard of the free mod iCEnhancer for GTA4! Prepare to have your socks blown off :D

Video here (remember to select 1080p and full screen!):

Also, check out this IGN article: Are These Real Photos or GTA IV Screenshots?

Install instructions: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436159

Hope you have some nice hardware. Happy to be of service :)

Actually the sole reason for buying it was I wanted to try iCEnhancer, but I tried following the instructions to install it and it didn't work. Then I stumbled onto some mention that you have to disable Games for Windows to get it to work, which had me in two minds as it would disable the ability to earn achievements.

It seemed worth the effort in my twenties, but in my thirties it just seems an awful lot of fiddling around just to play a game with better graphics. The biggest problem being, on PC you always end up thinking "hmmm, is this the best settings, could I make it look even better, run smoother". Consoles save you from yourself by taking away those options.

Actually the sole reason for buying it was I wanted to try iCEnhancer, but I tried following the instructions to install it and it didn't work. Then I stumbled onto some mention that you have to disable Games for Windows to get it to work, which had me in two minds as it would disable the ability to earn achievements.

It seemed worth the effort in my twenties, but in my thirties it just seems an awful lot of fiddling around just to play a game with better graphics. The biggest problem being, on PC you always end up thinking "hmmm, is this the best settings, could I make it look even better, run smoother". Consoles save you from yourself by taking away those options.

I hate achievements! They distract from playing the game how you want, it's like they sort of lead you down a certain route, and once you've got them all it feels like "game over" time when you've probably only covered half of the things you can do in a game. They also wreck re-playability as you just don't see the point in replaying if you have 1000 achievement points.

I practically gave up playing games on the 360 because of them, but then Sony introduced trophies, so I went back to the 360 and just turned achievement notifications off. If I play a PC Live game (and don't intend to play online), I usually just create a local profile and play it through on the local profile (so I don't get any achievements at all!).

You know, I know people, in their late 30s/40s who do nothing but achievement hunting. Every hour, every evening. They have hundreds of thousands of points, like it actually means anything (compensating much?). And to make matters worse, most of the games in their played list read like a list of the lowest average scoring games on metacritic, bought purely because 1000 points were easy to collect! Kids games, bad movie tie ins, really obscure Japanese titles, stupid dancing and singing games etc. I once went to a family members house, and they were sat on the sofa humming into a microphone! I asked him wtf he was doing, apparently it was some sort of singing game, but it only measured the pitch of your voice, so you could just hum along and collect all the achievements! So he'd gone out and bought a game (and presumably a microphone) and had sat on his settee for god knows how many hours, humming, for 1000 achievement points!!! You really worry about some peoples sanity when do they crap like that!

Also, playing games for achievements isn't entertaining or fun, it's like having a full time second job. For worthless currency!

I would honestly **** myself laughing if someone hacked MS Live and reset all the scores to 0, or if MS decide to reset all scores to 0 when they release the next console!

I probably have a pitiful score considering I've had an xbox since launch day. I don't care a jot. I've no idea what it currently is (it's certainly far below 100,000, actually it's probably closer to 10,000 than 100,000 - I know it pops up everytime you log in, I just don't pay much attention!).

I know what you mean, achievements can be a double edged sword and focusing ONLY on the achievements is just plain silly. For example what are the people thinking who pay others to get achievements for them? Why did they bother buying the game in the first place?

But to say you hate them? Well that is silly, as like you said if you don't like them you can just ignore them. They are only a disruptive as you let them be. There has always been games with goals which are frustrating and might seem like more work than play, the important thing is to identify that and realise once you are no longer enjoying yourself. Achievements in no way invented that problem, its all down to what type of activities in games you actually enjoy.

When done well, they actually encourage you to do more in the game, not less. If not done well, then give the developer a good telling off, avoid the game, or just ignore them. They are only as important as YOU make them.

Only today I was looking at how easy most of the achievements are in Minecraft. Will I stop playing the game once I have them all? Of course not, because the biggest point of the game is crafting and exploration, seeing just what you can create out of nothing. So claiming that achievements kill replay value is just not true, if the game stands up on its own merit.

As is often the case, they actually encourage me to do things I might not get round to do doing for ages, or at all (eg fishing), which can be a good thing to stop you getting bored before seeing what a game actually has to offer.

A good example there being Oblivion, as most of the achievements are for doing side quests. I know people who complained that the game was too short, because they ONLY did the main quest, none of the side quests. Had they aimed for the achievements that would have made the game hundreds of hours longer.

Without achievements, you can end up wandering around aimlessly wondering which side quests you should be doing. But with clear achievements for rising high in the thieves guild, mages, etc, it gives you specific goals to aim for (even if I STILL ended up wandering around aimlessly, I lose focus easily).

If done well, they DO encourage you to do do things which otherwise you might have skipped. The important thing is to not focus ONLY on achievements, use them as an aid to get the most out of the game not the sole reason for playing it.

Like on Lumines, I may never get the 30 blocks in 30 seconds achievement, I'm fine with that, but the fact it exists means I will keep trying when otherwise I wouldn't have - it added replay value.

At first I got annoyed at achievements I couldn't get, especially online achievements as they are usually impossible if you buy the game later in its life. But now its more about offline competition, aiming to have at least the same achievements as my friends, then one they haven't. Its an EXCELLENT encouragement and the only real way in many games to actually be competitive with your friends on single player games.

Even on games with online multiplayer, sometimes its a lot more fun to casually aim for achievements rather than playing against/with total strangers. In the same was leaderboards can be hacked, people can exploits, but if I am competing against people I know DON'T do those things - it still have merit. Trying to time my game time with my real world friends just never happens so having common goals which are recorded is useful.

The fact is, achievements aren't exactly a new thing. Many games had this long before Microsoft did it, the new aspect was making it common for all games so that you had a global score to compare plus making it so easy to see at a glance. That is really where the Xbox shines, at making all these things so seamless and easy, unlike the PS3 which does a lot of the same stuff but poorly implemented.

As for the gamerscore, while I do not care about it on the whole as like you said - some people just buy lots of crap games with easy achievements to boost it. Its still useful to a degree when comparing against your friends who you KNOW don't gamerscore boost. It gives you that "oh, his gamerscore just rocketed up over the last couple of days, I wonder what he has been playing", which again is good - otherwise I might not think to check.

Edited by AlexAtkin

The new update coming to Xbox 360 in a couple of weeks will add a load of new features.

The new update coming to Xbox 360 in a couple of weeks will add a load of new features.

It's rolling out from today.

Plus, I wouldn't say a LOAD of new features.

The web browser is handy, finally kicks the PS3 browser to the curb. Although I'm still impressed at how well the Wii one functions considering its low specifications.

Pins are useful, but it sucks that Microsoft claim "pin things to the home tab" when in fact it doesn't. The home tab is all advertising with just a single block for My Pins which you select and THEN it presents the list of pinned items.

SmartGlass, it remains to be seen how its used. It could be very cool, but I have my doubts as so could the remote play function of the PSP, then the PS Vita, yet that functionality is still being neglected. I highly expect it to be left alone with the LittleBigPlanet 2 / PS Vita cross controller functionality being a rare exception.

Before you yell at me going "yeah but that was Sony", Microsoft did the same when they released the Vision Camera. It was supposed to be the EyeToy for Xbox 360 but it got even less games than EyeToy ever did. Even more stupidly, the games and dashboard features which used the Vision Camera software still require it - they didn't bother to make Kinect compatible with them even though it shouldn't have been very hard.

So I am highly sceptical of both Sony and Microsofts next move here. I think its merely trying to grab attention from Wii U which will have a far superior implementation of this sort of functionality because EVERYONE who owns a Wii U has the tablet game pad, but not everyone has a PSP / PS Vita / Smartphone, or some that do will not want to waste its battery power on gimmicky game functions.

And you have to "pay" to use ie on Xbox :| on another note the psn store has been updated today and it kicks the Xbox store right in the nuts.