Whats best xbox or ps3

No it certainly is not. :hihi: While the PS3 might support more file formats where simple streaming is concerned, used as a media extender with Windows 7, the Xbox 360 can be used as the front end to a pretty powerful media centre.

I have 2 DVB-S and 2 DVB-T2 cards in my media server PC, which allows me to view and record Freesat HD and Freeview HD all controlled and viewable via the Xbox 360. I have my DVD, Bluray and Music collections ripped to hard drive, again all accessable from the Xbox via Media Center.

Maybe the PS3 could have done something like that one day if Sony hadn't killed off "other OS".

I was meaning to ask why there is a perception that the PS3 is a better media box, so I found your answer to the claim interesting.

I find them both mediocre compared to XBMC, but that's probably more to do with my setup - all my media is on a NAS and served from samba shares.

Neither the 360 or PS3 will see samba shares for whatever reason, and even if they did the codec support is severely lacking compared to XBMC.

It doesn't bother me massively, I want my games machine to play games, which both 360 and PS3 are particularly good at. :)

I remember years ago when PS2 owners were lording it over everyone because their console was also a (poor) DVD player. I played games, not films on my console. I played films, not games on my DVD player. Well, maybe a bit of Dragon's Lair ... ;)

The Xbox doesn't become a better media player just because your PC is doing all the processing. The Xbox is too ready to drop frames on HD media unless encoded in it's preferred WMV-HD.

And as SegaSonic states, they are both pretty poor in comparison to XBMC and Boxee.

I can play every single file format going, with a machine that cost less than either game console :D

The Xbox doesn't become a better media player just because your PC is doing all the processing. The Xbox is too ready to drop frames on HD media unless encoded in it's preferred WMV-HD.

And as SegaSonic states, they are both pretty poor in comparison to XBMC and Boxee.

I can play every single file format going, with a machine that cost less than either game console :D

The PC is not doing much processing at, all it is doing is sending video/audio streams when asked, which is all taking place in the background. I can happily use the server PC while it is doing this with no noticable effect at all.

It will of course drop frames of you are trying to stream HD material over a wireless B/G network, but that's not down to either console but to the limitations of the particular wireless technology used. I use a 'N' router and adapters, and I can stream full bitrate 1080P H.264 streams with no problems at all, it seems just as fast as using a LAN cable.

As for cost, my media center Xbox 360 cost me £10 because the DVD drive was missing. ;)

Personally I hate Boxee, potential GPL violations aside, it tries to be too many things at once, and what it does do, it doesn't do very well.

Edited by Agrajag

If you want to play online with friends find out what they have and get that one. There is hardly any difference between the two.

There isnt really any difference graphics wise, i just wish xboxlive was free to play online as ps3 is, i dont get what you get with gold?? anyone shed any light?

ps3 is free for online cause its no where near as good as xbox live id rather pay and it be better also the ps3 as a internet browser so you can use it for bbci player ect...

ps3 has built in bluray where 360 doesnt

graphics wise the ps3 in my opnion is a bt brighter but really there about same

they both have there ups and downs i also preffer xbox joypad over the ps3 pad

The PC is not doing much processing at, all it is doing is sending video/audio streams when asked, which is all taking place in the background. I can happily use the server PC while it is doing this with no noticable effect at all.

It will of course drop frames of you are trying to stream HD material over a wireless B/G network, but that's not down to either console but to the limitations of the particular wireless technology used. I use a 'N' router and adapters, and I can stream full bitrate 1080P H.264 streams with no problems at all, it seems just as fast as using a LAN cable.

As for cost, my media center Xbox 360 cost me £10 because the DVD drive was missing. ;)

Personally I hate Boxee, potential GPL violations aside, it tries to be too many things at once, and what it does do, it doesn't do very well.

I can tell you've not tried it recently. Mine's running flawlessly, need to get a remote though, and I'm not spending £60 for some yankie to send it me and charge me £30 in postage!

No-one should be using wireless for a device that doesn't move.

You won't notice much of a draw on your computer for media stuff, as it's an easy workload.

There isnt really any difference graphics wise, i just wish xboxlive was free to play online as ps3 is, i dont get what you get with gold?? anyone shed any light?

Off the top of my head you get:

-Online play (obviously) on reliable servers

-Access to demos before non-gold subscribers

-Party chat

-'Deal of the Week' where various games/content are reduced in price

-Facebook

-Last.fm

-Twitter.

There's probably other stuff too.

It works out at about 60p a week so I don't have a problem with subscribing.

Off the top of my head you get:

-Online play (obviously) on reliable servers

-Access to demos before non-gold subscribers

-Party chat

-'Deal of the Week' where various games/content are reduced in price

-Facebook

-Last.fm

-Twitter.

There's probably other stuff too.

It works out at about 60p a week so I don't have a problem with subscribing.

And Kinect Vision Video Conferencing (which is rather jolly actually) assuming you have Kinect

What about netflix too? is that part of gold?