DiS presents: Best Coast @ Queens Social Club (28.04.11)

DrownedinSound presents:

BEST COASThttp://bestycoasty.blogspot.com/

Bethany Cosentino was no stranger to the stage when she began working on recordings with bandmate Bobb Bruno under the name Best Coast in 2009. A former child actress, Cosentino had started writing songs in her teens, and had garnered a strong online following by the time she was 17 thanks to a handful of squeaky-clean pop tunes she made available on her MySpace page under the nom de teen pop Bethany Sharayah. "I had interest from major labels," she said in a 2009 interview with PopSense. "And it was kind of overwhelming and I realized that I wasn't ready to be a ‘pop princess.'" In the years that followed, Cosentino put in time as a member of the spacy experimental pop group Pocahaunted and went to school in New York. She moved back to Los Angeles in 2009, at which point she started working with Bruno on Best Coast's first demos.

Drawing inspiration from '60s surf rock and girl groups, Best Coast's noisy lo-fi sound gave a nod to contemporaneous acts like Hot Lava, the Vivian Girls, and Brilliant Colors. Best Coast's first year saw a flurry of little releases: a self-titled 7" single on Art Fag; a cassette tape release, Where the Boys Are, on the U.K. label Blackest Rainbow; a split 7", Up All Night, on Atelier Ciseaux; an EP, Make You Mine, on Group Tightener; and a self-titled 7" on Black Iris. Best Coast had become something of a sensation by the time 2009 came to a close; the band enjoyed a bit of attention from the media (notably from Nylon magazine), and Make You Mine made its way onto a few year-end lists. The band embarked on its first U.S. tour early the following year, sharing the stage with the Vivian Girls. Their profile continued to rise in 2010 with the release of "When I'm with You," which was accompanied by an adorably cute video. The duo signed to Mexican Summer Records and began work on a debut album. Meanwhile, Cosentino made a summer single for Converse (a collaboration with Vampire Weekend's Rostam Batmanglij and rapper Kid Cudi) and Best Coast added a full-time drummer, ex-Vivian Girl Ali Koehler. The group's album Crazy for You, which featured Cosentino's cat, Snacks, on the cover, was released in July.

+ Support

@ Queens Social Club, 4 Queens Road, Sheffield, S2 4DG

Doors: 7.30pm

Age restrictions: 18+

Price: £12.50 Adv / MOTD

Telephone: 0114 272 5544

TICKET OUTLETS

Online:

WeGotTickets - http://www.wegottickets.com/event/108151

SeeTickets - http://www.seetickets.com/Event/BEST-COAST/Queens-Social-Club/537653

In person:

Arcade - Division Street, Sheffield

The Harley - Glossop Road, Sheffield

The Wick At Both Ends - West Street, Sheffield

One of only two Northern shows - going to be awesome. Check her out if you haven't already.

For more info on the venue....... Check their facebook page

Type queens Social club in search box.

Supports for this confirmed as the excellent Spectrals and equally wonderful Mazes!

Reviewers sayeth:

"Exemplary examples of how to coax quality song writing and lo-fi flapping into a singular place, and come up with the goods. To my ears, [Mazes] sound like if Superchunk had a bunch of booze, and broke into a recording studio."

"Drawing inspiration from the likes of Phil Spector, The Velvet Underground and Billy Childish, Spectrals' heartfelt paeans like 'Birthday Kiss' and 'Can't We Please Just Stop This Now', owe as much to their creator's ability to convey a story and hold a tune in a similar way to fifties heartthrobs Billy Fury and Bobby Darin."

Intrigued? You should be! Get down early to check out these two hot prospects.

Not long to go before this one - the only DiS show in April, and it's our third birthday party too! What's not to like?

This is only two weeks away now. Excited? We sure are.

Sold a LOT of tickets for this. Got yours?

Going to be an awesome Spring evening of music at Queens...

This is THIS THURSDAY. Cannot wait! Who's coming, SF'ers?

Tomorrow night, folks. There's been an incredible amount of interest in this show so it's looking like being a good 'un - tickets still available...

In person with no booking fee at:

The Harley

The Wick At Both Ends

Arcade

Plus online:

WeGotTickets

SeeTickets

Will post some stage times tomorrow :)

I have (I think) 3 spare tickets to this if anyone wants them?

Drop me a PM!

Here are some stage times:

8pm - Mazes

9pm - Spectrals

10pm - Best Coast

Tickets will be available on the door, while stocks last :)