Fake bank notes

today i had a fake £20 note how do i claim it back from the bank

i have a recipt from the shop that took it off me

I don't think that will quite cut it. I may well be wrong but I suspect that if you go to a bank and say you've been given a counterfeit banknote and you'd like it changing for a real one that they won't do it. I'm fairly sure you're going to have to suck it up and deal with it. You might try at the shop but they will probably state you should have checked before you left their premises.

I sympathise with you but I don't think you have much chance of a resolution

i have a recipt from the shop that took it off me
So a shop took it off you?:confused:

yes a shop took it off i well just have to take it as a loss

Why did you give it to a shop?

You should have taken it to a bank.

Never mind, just got it. You tried to spend fake money and they confiscated it.

i did not no it was a fake

I get what you're saying, you tried to buy something with this note that the shop identified as a fraud and kept. You now want reimbursing for the £20 you've lost.

Sadly you won't get it. You're going to have to accept you are £20 down

I assume you are saying that you innocently tried to spend it and the shop, on finding it to be counterfeit, confiscated it.

Makes sense now.

So a shop took it off you?:confused:
If you're presented with a counterfeit note, you're supposed to confiscate it and hand it to police asap. In practise I suppose it depends on how big and potentially violent the customer looks. :)

I recently had a couple of very good quality fakes passed to me in the course of business, the bank found them amongst my paying in and gave me a receipt for them. You dont get the money back though, sadly :( They're good at spotting them so it's doubtful that it came from an ATM, but it is possible I suppose.

I just took this off the BoE site ...

What should I do if I think I have been given a counterfeit note?

If you think a note that you have is a counterfeit you must take it to the police as soon as you can. They will provide you with a receipt and send the counterfeit to the Bank of England for analysis. If the note is genuine reimbursement will be made in full.

A counterfeit note is completely worthless and it is a criminal offence to hold or to pass on a note which you know to be counterfeit.

Don’t get caught out by the counterfeiter; always check your banknotes.

There's a vid on the site giving handy hints and tips as to what to look out for when accepting banknotes. There's a lot of fake £1 coins about too.