'What were they on about?' What Grandparents from Sheffield used to say.

"Put wood in't hoyle" (close the door).

My granny and grandad, looking at the darkened sky which basically looked like it was going to chuck it down, used to say 'By gum!, it's black over Bill's Mothers'....who was Bill & who was his mother????

Also I had the 'STOP teeming & ladleing' when I should've been washing the pots & not playing at pouring out tea.... I have friends that have never heard of this one!

Bill was his Mothers Husbands Son. His Mother was his Farthers Wife. :D

Guest makapaka

Whodya think I am Rockerfella? - Whenever I asked for something from shop over 50p.

Its just soldiers drummin ageean - When it thundered when I was little.

Thar wants a fandance - Whenever I asked for something over and above what they thought was adequate.

Next time tha'll no abaat it - imminent threat following a near miss.

We had minor variations in out house of these sayings:-

Whodya think I am Rockerfella? - Whenever I asked for something from shop over 50p.

"Who's tha' think I am, baron bloody Rothschild?" was my mother's version.

We used to tell my stepson "It's only the angels moving furniture about in heaven!"

Thar wants a fandance - Whenever I asked for something over and above what they thought was adequate.

Mother's respons was "Tha wants jam on it!"

Mother Talker used to say "I's'll mek sure tha kno's abahht it!"

Tha can get this bedroom fettled it looks a reight plekk !my mum used to say, It looks like bloody radnanskys,and then get thi bloody sen weshed thas been scroamin all oort floor and thaat black as isaacs. Behave thi sen an stop showin off oor thall get no spice! [sweets] They dont know if there on this earth or fullers earth!

What does tha think that on, the father's yacht ?

I think that "fettling" is a word connected with the cutlery trade - probably cleaning or finishing.

What does tha think that on, the father's yacht ?

Turn some bloody lights off else we'll ave a bill as long as norfolk street. Shut that door thes a draft like its blowin through Wicker arches.

hiya seems your letter gives your age away maybe, when i was a lad if you asked ror a thepney bit ( one and a quarter pence) at the time a pint of beer was say 10 d ( around four pence today) and my parents would say" dus da think am made o money"

That should be abaht reight accordin t cocker an early bird..

Edited by grinder

Hi All.

I left Sheffield in1973, having secured a job which was advertised in the Daily Telegraph, ( nearly got beaten up for reading a "Posh" paper), in Westminster London.

I was given a company,(firms) car and paid the enormous salary of £1100 per year.

My Grandad said,"tha must 'av moor muney thn soft mick nar thas got't posh job in Lundun".

Who was Soft Mick, never did find out ?

Mike.

Hi All.

I left Sheffield in1973, having secured a job which was advertised in the Daily Telegraph, ( nearly got beaten up for reading a "Posh" paper), in Westminster London.

I was given a company,(firms) car and paid the enormous salary of £1100 per year.

My Grandad said,"tha must 'av moor muney thn soft mick nar thas got't posh job in Lundun".

Who was Soft Mick, never did find out ?

Mike.

hiya another was the saying according to cocker, who was cocker ? and shanks's pony ? and all dis cummin and gooin.and fiffin an faffin, ummin an arrin, thisin an thattin , and one i like mimmimoki

Edited by willybite