'What were they on about?' What Grandparents from Sheffield used to say.

might have a bit of barnsley influence its that far north

as in "stop scroamin' round on't floower" "you grubby little bleeder!"

and stop slairing your feet!:)

one of my faves is "well it needs a good fettlin", anyone older than me (51) who knows what this means, i would be really grateful

I am 36 and know this means a good scrum/clean/tidy up etc.

I think fettlin comes from actually fettling which is grinding etc what most of our (Sheffield) granddads did in the day due to the steel industry. When you grind something in the steel industry you are removing all the rubbish from the surface.

might have a bit of barnsley influence its that far north

I'm brightside born & bred and we used to get told of for scroaming :hihi:

never heard of that one! which part of sheffield?, if you don't mind my asking?

Scroaming is a Sheffield term I think my mum has used it. She was brought up on Parson Cross.

"i'll si' thi' that tha' dunt do that agien" = you'll not do that again in a hurry

"thee thar thi sen, and see how thats gooin!" = why don't you sort your own house out before sticking your nose in!

Loppy is my favourite Sheffield word.

ha ha, loppy, yea that's great.:hihi:

and mardy arse

one of my other favourites was "you made your bed, you lie in it" meaning take responsibilties for your own actions

What about 'a scutch at back at foredd' or 'tha gizzoar' or 'stop roorin'

Edited by JayVee

My granny and grandad, looking at the darkened sky which basically looked like it was going to chuck it down, used to say 'By gum!, it's black over Bill's Mothers'....who was Bill & who was his mother????

Also I had the 'STOP teeming & ladleing' when I should've been washing the pots & not playing at pouring out tea.... I have friends that have never heard of this one!

Ha' Haaa' yeah ! we always say.-."Blimey, it's a bit black or't back'o'Bills Mothers"... there's loads of 'Sheffield ism's' - A small book is on sale around town called something like.... "How to speak Sheffield ish"..//..Any road up.it's nearly midneet. I must stop "Faffin' abhat' ont' forum .. an' gurro' bed..//..keep em comin'..DJ.

Edited by oscar 215

I am 36 and know this means a good scrum/clean/tidy up etc.

I think fettlin comes from actually fettling which is grinding etc what most of our (Sheffield) granddads did in the day due to the steel industry. When you grind something in the steel industry you are removing all the rubbish from the surface.

You are right there I was a fettler for a good few years,but I'm not a granddad yet.:wink:

Scroaming was used all over from Barnsley to Derbyshire and means crawling about.

Hows about, tha'll get a leatherin when thi father gets om. (his belt round your backside)

and, tha't as black as't fire back. (Mucky)