'What were they on about?' What Grandparents from Sheffield used to say.

'You can't make a silk purse out of a sowes ear'

'All the trancelments'

'Sweating Neaters'

Just 3 to keep you going!!

i didliumdum my son john ---

ladies go nim nim nim

gentlemen go trit,trot

cowboys go gallopy,gallopy over the stile,

this little piggy went to market.

Anybody know who Clem was as in I'm stood here like Clem?

Anybody know who Clem was as in I'm stood here like Clem?

It's not Fanny Gillots husband is it ?

Some of my dear old mums favourites were ...were you born in Bardney or a field wi'out a gate and when asked what was for dinner...three runs round the table and a kick at the kitchen door or leo for meddlers and crutches for blind ducks.

'Fettling' I always took to mean as cleaning. Unless the meaning has now changed for better or worse :heyhey:

My Nan used to say...this place needs a good fettling, and the fire needs black leading, it,s filthy. And now 59 years later I say the same to my wife every spring ; apart from black leading the fire. moved from Sheffield in the late 50s, so I think it means the place wants decorating

My Nan used to say...this place needs a good fettling, and the fire needs black leading, it,s filthy. And now 59 years later I say the same to my wife every spring ; apart from black leading the fire. moved from Sheffield in the late 50s, so I think it means the place wants decorating

Would like to own an old black leaded fire these days. my Mam and Nan used to make bread in it. Would save a fortune in gas and electric these days..happy days

Apologies if someone's put this before . My Mums favourite saying when she got settled ont sofa of an evening after a busy day and she'd finally got a bit of peace and quiet ."Eh it's like 'eaven wit gate shut!"

Italian, above, mentioned the word "doings". I still use the word i.e. "do you know where I put my doings!" My wife is an excellent mind reader and finishes off my sentences.

Also what about "thingy" and "thing-y-mi-jig" and "wots it" and "ooojaa" and "sithy"as in "sithy later". Must be thousands of these in different dialects.

Incidentally we live in Brittany which also has it's own language and dialect. I usually try French with a yorkshire "twang" (oops! there's another)

Brian

Italian, above, mentioned the word "doings". I still use the word i.e. "do you know where I put my doings!" My wife is an excellent mind reader and finishes off my sentences.

Also what about "thingy" and "thing-y-mi-jig" and "wots it" and "ooojaa" and "sithy"as in "sithy later". Must be thousands of these in different dialects.

Incidentally we live in Brittany which also has it's own language and dialect. I usually try French with a yorkshire "twang" (oops! there's another)

Brian

Was that the ooojaar kapiphel.....

What the heck did that mean ?....:huh:

Another one my Mother used to say was, "Well it's just me thee an us two and

It's like Caseys court in ere

That a reight whittlearse thee

Place's like a bloody kek oil

An old bloke I used to work with used to say , Does tha wish I were thi Father an we kept pigs, and another one was thi all daft oer theer,that's weer thi put pig on wall to watch band gu past

My mum in law used to use the word 'tysing' (maybe from enticing) to mean to tease or to get an animal to come to you.