'What were they on about?' What Grandparents from Sheffield used to say.

My granny and grandad, looking at the darkened sky which basically looked like it was going to chuck it down, used to say 'By gum!, it's black over Bill's Mothers'....who was Bill & who was his mother????

Also I had the 'STOP teeming & ladleing' when I should've been washing the pots & not playing at pouring out tea.... I have friends that have never heard of this one!

I have a 2 year old who according to my mother in law (Sheffield born and bred) can not stop teeming and ladleing as he likes to take everything to bits / out of boxes etc and then put it all back. Never heard of the expression before!

My granny and grandad, looking at the darkened sky which basically looked like it was going to chuck it down, used to say 'By gum!, it's black over Bill's Mothers'....who was Bill & who was his mother????

Also I had the 'STOP teeming & ladleing' when I should've been washing the pots & not playing at pouring out tea.... I have friends that have never heard of this one!

I say this all the time lol, i often wondered whos poor bills mother was, i would move if i was her.

one of my faves is "well it needs a good fettlin", anyone older than me (51) who knows what this means, i would be really grateful

one of my faves is "well it needs a good fettlin", anyone older than me (51) who knows what this means, i would be really grateful

'Fettling' I always took to mean as cleaning. Unless the meaning has now changed for better or worse :heyhey:

"fettlin" = get in there and organise/tidy up

"teem and ladle" = move one thing to another place a back again or "jugging"

i love sheffield dialect

Fettlin to me would be cleaning/tidying up!

two of my grandads favourites where 'let dog see rabbit' and 'where you born in a field?'

'Fettling' I always took to mean as cleaning. Unless the meaning has now changed for better or worse :heyhey:

thanks kit, i thought it maybe somethin along those lines, but some friends of mine used it in a way do describe something sexual as well, so im a bit confused:hihi:

as in "stop scroamin' round on't floower" "you grubby little bleeder!"

what about "scroaming"

never heard of that one! which part of sheffield?, if you don't mind my asking?

north, its in Kes book and film too