Can anyone recommend a Cattery?

I'm so glad I have read this, as I feel happier with a decision I have just made.

I normally book my cat in with Westwood at High Green. Kate who runs the cattery is fantastic and my cat is always reluctant to leave. Unfortunately due to illness they have had to close for a while, leaving my cat cattery-less, or so to speak. I tried to contact Morningside last night and both phonelines were unavailable, I have used them before but have always been a litttle disgruntled about having to "wait at the gate" till the proprietors were ready to admit me, but apart from that, no complaints. However I got into Skew Hill at Grenoside today and I have heard good reports about their kennels, so am hoping the Cattery is as good. Does anyone know about Skew Hill?

XG

See http://www.cameronlife.co.uk for cracking Jimi Hendrix and 1970 IOW pop festival images

I'm not sure where you live but there is a new cat hotel at Stannington. Its called Myers Grove Cat Hotel. I took my cat there a couple of weeks ago and it was all very new and clean and my cat seemed very happy when I collected her:)

:A brand new cattery is opening in Hillsborough--Hillsborugh Cattery, on 1st August 2011. Always call and view a few before deciding. Hillsborough Cattery is on 0114 2326243.

William

Hi i hate to disagree with everyone but i put my cat in morningside a couple of years ago and will not be taking her back, my cat`s a fussy eater so i took her own food which came back untouched so they had been feeding her there own food saying she ate ok(which i doubt), we arrived a little early to collect her and had to wait outside for opening time, the chap was still in his kitchen having breakfast, when we got to the cattery my cat was waiting there already in her carrier leaving me wondering how long she had been in it.

Acacia Lodge at Wentworth a lovely place a real home from home, thats where i would recommend

this post made me chuckle, opening times are there so you know when a business is open, just because your early doesnt mean he has to drop his breakfirst to open to you. if you turned up to mc donalds would they switch the equipment on for you just because your early? think about it. and witht the guy having the cat in his box at least you didnt have to wait around, because im guessing it would give you some thing else to windge about. back to catterys, there are many to choose from, some are more money then others, as long as they ask for the right details from you and understand your needs they should all be ok to keep a cat in. they have to be checked out by the council to make sure there is enough space for the cat a bed and fresh water and food, if the cattery isnt doing this, they would loose there licence to trade am afrrade.

Willow Tree Cattery at Spinkhill is great. :)

For anyone in the Rotherham area, my cats always go to Bowbroom Cattery at Bramley, run by Jean & Ben. We have always been highly satisfied with the care given. They have also stayed at Low Farm at Carr, Maltby (which is where Jean leaves her cats when she goes away). We tried Acacia Lodge at Wentworth, which was fine but we find them expensive (we have had 2 rescue cats from Acacia Lodge).

Hi

Try Willow Tree cattery in Spinkhill. We have a very spoilt cat who is in on special food and has to drink plenty of water potherwise he gets cystitis. He also gets stressed when we leave him and typically vomits when we get home. However since using this cattery he actually seems to enjoy us going away.

Got to agree here, my cat is quite nervous and since going to them for her hols actually gets in the basket without any trouble, they are lovely people and very caring.

Does anyone have any experience of Kathry's Cattery in Eccelsfield or the new one in Hilsborough please?

I have been most impressed with A1 over the telephone but it is not actually that easy for me to get there.

As an alternative to a cattery have you thought about leaving your cat at home and have someone visit and tend to them? Cat won't get stressed etc because it stays in the environment it knows.

Yvonne at Petpals provides this service, give her a call on 07777 685373.

In case it helps someone else out there ......Hilsborough Cattery, is nicely decorated. However their opening times are not flexible by appointment. This is the complete opposite to Kathryn's on flexibility but it really did need a jolly good clean IMO.

Any further recommendations or views on Rivelin Valley or Stannington Cattery's please folks?

I visited A1 when I was looking for a cattery last year and was less than impressed. I asked if I could pay for 2 pens so my cat had more space and was told no which makes no sense as they would not have lost any money. One of the cats had been sick and rather than clear it up and make sure the cat was ok, they showed me around which made me question how important my cat's welfare would be to them.

I use Atkinsons Cattery at Norton. It's nice and quiet on a farm and the cats can look out and see either the coming and goings of the stables or miles of countryside. John is great and plays with each of them every day and lets them run up and down the corridor when he cleans out their pens (individually obviously not a massive cat free for all) I hate leaving my cat but I know he is in good hands when I do.

Just collected my cats from Morningside cattery and my old cat is in a terrible state. Fur all matted, dirty back end, limping and can't even manage to get himself up onto the sofa! Will have to take him to the vet tomorrow. A friend tried to visit the cattery to check on them while I was away and gave up after the conversation with the chap who didn't want to let her in because the pens had been disinfected and she might have "stepped in dog poo and would contaminate the clean area"! Cats already in baskets when I called to collect them so didn't see what a bad state my old boy was in before getting him home. Would never use them again or recommend them!