Interests for shy people

What is there to do in Sheffield for a shy person who is not into sport or educational courses?

Well, I think you've already found it!

Being shy myself, I've found that there are a fair number of things. Best ones that I do are going to the cinema and for walks and there is the added bonus that both are cheap !

The UGC has an unlimited card - for £10.99 a month on direct debit, 12 month contract, you can see as many films as you want. Have had my card 3 years now. Watched Kinky Boots one on Friday at a forum meet [there were 5 people there, 3 of which I didnt know and wasnt too scary] and yesterday I went alone and saw 4 films [Wallace and Gromit, Oliver Twist, Night Watch and Serenity] !

There are some very nice places to walk in sheffield - I live down the road from Rother Valley Country Park - nice to just wander around on me lonesome and take some photos with my camera :thumbsup:

Oh, and dont forget the forum of course, great for nattering with all kinds of people :P

What did you think of night watch grissom?

I saw it last night and i'm still undecided, if that makes any sense.

Wilf

The trailer suggested it'd be full of special FX, which it wasnt, which was actually a good thing. Bit of an odd film, but enjoyed it in the end. Quite liked the film being in Russian and seeing that they swear in english !? The subtitles were good, how they faded in and out and disappeared like blood in water :thumbsup:

Will have to see the other 2 to see how they go. Can see it being a cult thing in future with some people; will keep the badge they gave me at the cinema just in case its worth sommat in future :P

Just realised I called it the UGC.... can't get my head round the fact that its Cineworld now ! :suspect:

I used to be shy myself through childhood and my teens;

It can be extremely difficult I know. If you're interested in Art, a place I go when I want to be alone & reflective is one of Sheffield's art galleries.

Some places can be intimidating for a person on their own.

But no-one will take the slightest bit of notice of someone walking around an art gallery on their own. It's great to be able to walk around enjoying the exhibits, lost in your own thoughts, not having to worry about making conversation etc.

Or how about taking a stroll through the Winter Gardens, then have a wander next door to the Millennium Galleries or Graves Art Gallery (always some great exhibits on). And then pop into the Library on Surrey St & enjoy a good book in peace. Again a place that's guranteed to be quite and no-one pestering you for a chat! Hope this helps.... :)

A lot of people are shy, so you're not on your own for a start. Sheffield is one of those places where you can easily find yourself in conversation with someone, no matter how shy you are - an old lady at the bus stop, a young student asking directions etc.

The forum meets are good once you have the confidence to go to one. People are very friendly and welcoming as lets face it, we've all had our 'first time' when we didn't know anyone and was really nervous so people are very aware of how difficult it can be.

The forum here is a good way to get to know people and build up your confidence, I hope you are able to come to a meet sometime and feel comfortable enough with people you've met on here, but not actually 'met' in person.

The other advice about the galleries etc is good too, have you been to the Botanical Gardens yet? There's also a lot of voluntary work you could do if you felt up to it.

have a get together with other shy people off this forum.

got to be a good way to meet new friends,

once you all get to know each other you might not feel shy anymore, plus you can all help each other overcome shyness.

ps i used to be extremely shy and introverted untill my mate decided to take me in hand and ease me into the club/pub life.

never looked back,

take that step and you will never look back

Andy

Originally posted by Grissom

Being shy myself, I've found that there are a fair number of things. Best ones that I do are going to the cinema and for walks and there is the added bonus that both are cheap !

The UGC has an unlimited card - for £10.99 a month on direct debit, 12 month contract, you can see as many films as you want. Have had my card 3 years now. Watched Kinky Boots one on Friday at a forum meet [there were 5 people there, 3 of which I didnt know and wasnt too scary] and yesterday I went alone and saw 4 films [Wallace and Gromit, Oliver Twist, Night Watch and Serenity] !

:P

If you are shy it's one of the greatest thinsg you can do if you are into the cinema. I remember when i was single several years ago and used to watch several movies a day. Fab! :D

I think Grissom shoudl be the SF movie critic! There's plenty to do drusilla but when you're shy you tend not to get involved. Try to break the shyness over time and meet new people, one of the great thinsg of the SF is that many appear to have met new friends which they wouldn't have had the chance to otherwise.

Of course, there are those people that just prefer there own company as well. I am increasingly prefering my own company, even though people who choose to are often termed "loner" in a very derogetory way.

I love food shopping on my own, wathcing films on my own, watchign football on my own, going to the pub with the paper and having a drink on my own - its very relaxing

I have a big circle of friends as well, so it is totally through choice. But it is a choice that is becoming more and more appealing.

I agree! :thumbsup:

I know it's a well known saying but; "?"If you don't enjoy your own company, how can you expect anyone else too

Some places can be intimidating for a person on their own. It's great to be able to walk around enjoying the exhibits, lost in your own thoughts, not having to worry about making conversation etc.

Or how about taking a stroll through the Winter Gardens, then have a wander next door to the Millennium Galleries or Graves Art Gallery (always some great exhibits on). And then pop into the Library on Surrey St & enjoy a good book in peace. Again a place that's guranteed to be quite and no-one pestering you for a chat! [/b]

Is conversation a worry? I dont get this....why would anyone NOT want to be sociable and chat to people and socially network?