Memories of London Rd/Sharrow/Little Sheffield

Dan Bradbury was the motorbike dealer,thanks for this info,hillsbro.

Back in the fifties, I purchased a new motorcycle, at the moment can not remember the name of the dealer,? it was a BSA 500cc twin, with new at the time, swinging arm rear suspension, and Monbloc carburetter, the first in Sheffield.What memories, many happy times, including a round trip to Venice. Please excuse my enthusiasm, happy memories, can anyone remember the dealer?,on London Road

was it R0pers

There was a jewellers at the bottom on the left hand side heading out of town called Minott & Voyse, my extremely expensive ( 75 quid ) came from there in 1975

Here is a few shops i remember in the 1970s on London rd.

Myers bakery.

K cooper electrical.

Wilkinson ironmonger. Possibly the first Wilkinson hardware shop now a chain ?

Hyman jeweller, he moved into town.

Blaskeys decorating shop.

Motorist discount centre.

Romneys laundry.

Edley E Atkin jeweller (what a character)

Weninger butcher, award winning sausages.

Dunbar Cooke fishmonger.

DER television shop.

Near to the bottom of Sharrow lane was a jeweller called something like Seremin ??

Edited by only_me

Near to the bottom of Sharrow lane was a jeweller called something like Seremin ??
That was Sermin's (see my post #22 above). Joe and Maria Sermin arrived from Germany in the 1880s and originally had a shop in Watson's Walk, Hartshead. They moved to Sharrow Lane around 1935. After Joe Sermin's death in 1914 his sons Joseph (1887-1970) and Victor (1897-1989) ran the business. As far as I know Joseph's son Gordon, now aged 87, still lives at Ecclesall. Edited by hillsbro
Date correction

That was Sermin's (see my post #22 above). Joe and Maria Sermin arrived from Germany in the 1880s and originally had a shop in Watson's Walk, Hartshead. They moved to Sharrow Lane around 1905. After Joe Sermin's death in 1914 his sons Joseph (1887-1970) and Victor (1897-1989) ran the business. As far as I know Joseph's son Gordon, now aged 87, still lives at Ecclesall.

Thanks hillsbro i missed your post. I remember having a watch or two serviced at this shop in the 1970s.

Between Clark Square and Broom Close there was a car showroom,and I remember before the war they had a light aircraft on display for a couple of weeks. I had never seen an aircraft close up before,and it created quite a lot of interest. A little further down was Merrills toy shop,a very popular shop indeed to go window shopping.

Across the road on the corner of a street was Brookes furniture shop. During the blitz one of his plate glass windows was blown out,so the next day he placed a huge sign up that said just one word BLAST!

As a kid in the 1940-50 era I remember Wilson Pecks where you could buy a 78rpm record for about 6s 8d (34p) also Ropers where my dad bought me a bike for a couple of quid down and five bob (25p) a week. There was also a tripe shop and the dentists opposite the top of Woodhead Rd. is still a dentists. Dan Bradburys was a well-known motor bike dealers and Wigfalls had a branch at the corner of Hill St.

As a kid in the 1940-50 era I remember Wilson Pecks where you could buy a 78rpm record for about 6s 8d (34p) also Ropers where my dad bought me a bike for a couple of quid down and five bob (25p) a week. There was also a tripe shop and the dentists opposite the top of Woodhead Rd. is still a dentists. Dan Bradburys was a well-known motor bike dealers and Wigfalls had a branch at the corner of Hill St.

Is the bloke that sells Dinky,s and model train sets still trading on London Rd,

I remember you could not get into his shop[ more than two at a time] as he had that much stuff in there.

Also if you asked him for a model of an obscure car etc he would scrummage around for a couple of minutes and without fail come up with it.

Bought my first 78 rpm record from Wilson Pecks on London Rd in 1952. Those listening booths were a great innovation. Cutting edge technology, so to speak!

I remember Sermins' jewellers and the fishmongers at the bottom of Sharrow Lane. On London Rd I recall Merrill's toyshop, the PDSA vets with the barn door, a barbers shop, with the traditional red & white striped pole outside, near the Old Crown Inn, Otto's furniture shop and a sports shop run by Harold Brook & Jimmy Hagan (ex SUFC players) plus all the pubs mentioned. Where the road forks in Abbeydale Rd there was also a dentist's surgery. He was called Mr Lever- an apt name in terms of tooth extractions!

That was Sermin's (see my post #22 above). Joe and Maria Sermin arrived from Germany in the 1880s and originally had a shop in Watson's Walk, Hartshead. They moved to Sharrow Lane around 1935. After Joe Sermin's death in 1914 his sons Joseph (1887-1970) and Victor (1897-1989) ran the business. As far as I know Joseph's son Gordon, now aged 87, still lives at Ecclesall.

Howdy hillsbro'...interesting info' on 'Sermins'....I remember the shop well. At night when the shop was closed...you could look into the window....and the safe, could be seen via a reflection in an angled mirror..and lit by a lamp...so the safe could be seen by the passing beat Bobby, to check that all was well.

Howdy hillsbro'...interesting info' on 'Sermins'....I remember the shop well. At night when the shop was closed...you could look into the window....and the safe, could be seen via a reflection in an angled mirror..and lit by a lamp...so the safe could be seen by the passing beat Bobby, to check that all was well.

And if not !! He cool blow his whistle :)