Memories of London Rd/Sharrow/Little Sheffield

I to went to that barbers with my mum in the early part of the 1970s. The Italian fella who ran it was always plesent. I also remember seeing him cutting hair in later years at Abbeydale road before you reach Woodseats road. Cicarella comes to mind could be wrong though?

Sounds familiar. There was a lad at my school (King Ecgbert's) who had the same surname. Now I'm wondering if he was a relation.

There's a barber's shop on Abbeydale Rd called Ciccarella's...related to the old London Rd barber?

https://plus.google.com/100215804093842657468/photos/photo/5817011248689713538

I used to go in the Mecca/Locarno when I was in my teens and remember the 2 bars, shorts in top bar and beer/lager in bottom bar, as I was a bit under age I couldn't do the pubs but in later life made up for it and had some great nights especially girls Friday night out. The Locarno had it's name changed quite a few times but was back to Locarno till it closed and became a Sainsbury, happy days:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 16-01-2014 at 23:31 ----------

Anyone with memories of David Buckley and his sister whose name I can't remember and I should, because I once went out with her. They lived at the top of Boston Street near it's junction with London Road.

David attended Sharrow Lane and King Edwards. The family moved to Abbeydale Road, near to the Millhouses pub.

I don't remember the Buckley's but I had a friend who lived just there her name was Jennifer Johnson. I have seen her on here and would love to know how she is doing, my name was Sheila Smith then so if anyone has any info please get in touch:help::help:

:help:

Anyone with memories of David Buckley and his sister whose name I can't remember and I should, because I once went out with her. They lived at the top of Boston Street near it's junction with London Road.

David attended Sharrow Lane and King Edwards. The family moved to Abbeydale Road, near to the Millhouses pub.

I don't remember the Buckley's but I had a friend who lived just there her name was Jennifer Johnson. I have seen her on here and would love to know how she is doing, my name was Sheila Smith then so if anyone has any info please get in touch:help::help:

Sounds familiar. There was a lad at my school (King Ecgbert's) who had the same surname. Now I'm wondering if he was a relation.

There's a barber's shop on Abbeydale Rd called Ciccarella's...related to the old London Rd barber?

Ciccarella's has been on the corner of Windermere Road / Abbeydale Road since I was kid, remember going there late 60s early 70s for a 'Georgie Best' cut as he used to call it, don't know about the other shop on London road.

Yes there must have been a connection between both shops, perhaps the fella from London road was a relation or just helped out in later years?

What year did you start at king Ecgberts?

I'm trying to gauge what the history of London road is, it's always seemed to be such a diverse place and reading about it has made me realise it's been like this since the 1950's, does anyone have any fond memories / knowledge of culture in this area and how it's developed? 

Thanks! 

2 hours ago, natesheff said:

I'm trying to gauge what the history of London road is, it's always seemed to be such a diverse place and reading about it has made me realise it's been like this since the 1950's, does anyone have any fond memories / knowledge of culture in this area and how it's developed? 

Thanks! 

Define Culture and Diversity?

London Rd from Heeley bottom to the Moor itself was often quoted as being the gate way to the Moor.
The actual area could only ever be described as a White working class. Unemployment was mostly unheard of as factory work was every where close by and most of those workers were housed in the many terrace houses that were there till the clearances started. Look at any of the ariel shots of the pre clearance days the whole area was awash with terrace houses and factory's.

Culture in the 50's 60's &70's ? we'd got a Traditional chippy (it was the only type you could get back then) The Hanwu Chinese restaurant and Silver Palace probably didn't arrive till the late 60's early 70's. No one did exotic in them days. Everything was Traditional. Proper Pub's, Butchers, Grocers, etc etc  were plentiful as were Cafe's (I worked at the Disc Jockey after skool, Saturdays & Holidays) was there anything you couldn't buy on London Rd? clothes shops, fancy good shops, furniture shops, shoe shops, car spares, model and toy shops etc etc etc. 
All this was even before you even got to the shop's on the Moor or as far as the Markets. lol

I'd get rid of all the eateries that are there now and bring back all the good things like Dixon's Fish n chips, Kings's 3d bacon off cuts (3 pence in old money), Harold Savages proper Tomato Sausages, Rabbits from  Cookes or even better Tripe from Edmondsons.  and not forgetting a good drool over the New BSA's in Dan's windows.

sound like a happy place and a place where there was a community spirit  - it was - is it now ???????

A happy place with comunity spirit indeed. Long ago I looked forward to the occasional Saturday trip to London Road with a much-loved grandad. We would call at the Disc Jockey café and then walk up to Sharrow Lane and Sermin's jewellers for watch parts (grandad repaired watches as a hobby). There were lots of interesting shops of all kinds.

As for the new BSAs in Dan's - on 1 August 1970 (the first day of the 'J' registration) I got my brand new BSA Starfire from Leather & Simpson's but I couldn't resist riding it into town, parking it outside Dans and seeing all the admiring looks the bikers gave it. 😊

Happy days!

11 hours ago, hillsbro said:

A happy place with comunity spirit indeed. Long ago I looked forward to the occasional Saturday trip to London Road with a much-loved grandad. We would call at the Disc Jockey café and then walk up to Sharrow Lane and Sermin's jewellers for watch parts (grandad repaired watches as a hobby). There were lots of interesting shops of all kinds.

As for the new BSAs in Dan's - on 1 August 1970 (the first day of the 'J' registration) I got my brand new BSA Starfire from Leather & Simpson's but I couldn't resist riding it into town, parking it outside Dans and seeing all the admiring looks the bikers gave it. 😊

Happy days!

I had to settle for a second hand A1O (with sidecar and L plates)

I forgot about the Record come book shop J&BW ? hippy type shop sold all sorts of good stuff 2nd hand books, records. RAF coats etc etc. think i got my easyrider poster from there.

I'd also forgotten about catching the train back from town to Heeley btm after doing the London Rd, Moor, and Rag & Tagg shopping runs with my Aunty. Many people did this from the Heeley btm area - Bring back the Local Train Services is what I  say & at Reasonable cost's not spend Billions on HS2.

------------------------------ - ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy Daze - Ape Hanger Daze

(origanally posted by Mike Batty Oct 3rd 2013)

Otto's was the " If you had it , flaunt it " shop .

--------------------------------------------------------

I was in awe (verb) of Mr Otto and his Personalised Ken registered Jaguar (proper Jag not the pretend Ford cloned ones)

We lived on Randall St so seeing the Jag almost daily and sharing the same first name was a bonus.

He nearly ran me over once, his Jag must have had the option of not having to use indicators - lol

I never did get a Ken registration but I did get a proper Jag many years later.

8 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

I had to settle for a second hand A1O (with sidecar and L plates)...

A good machine, the A10 - my dad had one  with a sidecar after he wrote-off his Triumph Thunderbird (don't ask 😉). Then he slowed down a bit and had an LE Velocette. Here is part of a BSA 1970 brochure that I got from Dan's on London Road, showing the Starfire etc. https://i.postimg.cc/T3SwCF8F/BSA.jpg

21 minutes ago, hillsbro said:

A good machine, the A10 - my dad had one  with a sidecar after he wrote-off his Triumph Thunderbird (don't ask 😉). Then he slowed down a bit and had an LE Velocette. Here is part of a BSA 1970 brochure that I got from Dan's on London Road, showing the Starfire etc. https://i.postimg.cc/T3SwCF8F/BSA.jpg

Thank you Hillsbro.

i'd got it in my head you were on about the BSA Spitfire (i'd got my other glass's on) didn't realise at the time you were on about the poshist of the C15 marque - LOL

I was thinking of you earlier on. I'd just drove down Leppings lane. Do you remember a motorcycle shop (more like a house and back yard filled with bikes and Lambretta's) Top end of Vere Rd (left hand side going down towards Pennistone Rd) think it might have been a tyre fitters after and is now a house again, I bought a BSA C10 plunger frame model and fitted with later C12 engine from there many years ago . bought a Mk 4 aircraftcarrier from Howards Motors corner of Leppings lane and Shenstone Rd (Mk 4 Zodiac executive).

I did buy an early C15 from a garage off Sharrow vale Rd, I think it had something to do with Bentlys (Abbeydale Rd) anyway it wouldnt run but for £15 it was worth the risk. got it home to find out the Supressor cap was chewed up inside. that sorted and a bit of adjusting with the Magic Mushroom distributor and job was a good one.

The LE would slow him down a bit, lol

like the time i sold my (proper) Jag and bought a diesel Sherpa mini bus (ex posti van) to tour Scotland with the kids - lol

Happy Daze.