Memories of London Rd/Sharrow/Little Sheffield

what i can remember,wigfalls corner of hill st,few yards up best pie&peas,tripe,chiclin bag,also the butchers great roast pork sarnies.

not sure if there was a police box at the bottom,opposite lacarno.any one remember that.

Yes there was police box opposite i seem to remember.

Yes there was police box opposite i seem to remember.

It was a bit before my time but here's the police box. http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=s13637&prevUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOUJvc3Rvbl9TdHJlZXQlMjglMjQlN0MrJTJCJTI5JmFjdGlvbj1zZWFyY2gmcGFnZT0y The Lansdowne Hotel is just out of the picture to the right.

A great photo of the police box. I remember it before the war. On the opposite side of the main London road was the Lansdowne picture house.

Also,just by the police box, is where the local blackhirts would hold open air meetings in the evenings, As young kids that was good free entertainment to listen to the arguments,sometimes quite heated.

On the same side of the road, going towards the bottom of Ecclesall road,was a group of shops,which included a jewellers and a gown shop. The shops were bombed and destroyed during the blitz and they became an advertising site with 3 or 4 big hoardings. They remained that way for years,but recently,thanks to Google street level,I've had another look and I'm amazed that after 70 years the site is still an advertising site. Why is it that a valuable site like that,in a great position,remains so? Beats me.

Hello Eveyone

Can anyone tell me how London Rd used to be? Did it always have so many takeaways? I'd love to hear any memories or stories from that part of town.

Are there any businesses that have been there a long time?

I'm not from round 'ere, I'm a yellow belly from Lincolnshire. Now I'm doing some research about Sharrow and Little Sheffield.

Cheers

James

most people used to go in the royal, because they had a talent compertition on.

most people used to go in the royal, because they had a talent compertition on.

I remember the talent competitions at the royal in the late 1970s. It was a right laugh, it seemed to me that two particular blokes almost always won (at that time anyway) Those blokes were called Felix and Jake. The prize was given out in pints and they shared their winnings, happy days lol.

Edited by only_me

Hello Eveyone

Can anyone tell me how London Rd used to be? Did it always have so many takeaways? I'd love to hear any memories or stories from that part of town.

Are there any businesses that have been there a long time?

I'm not from round 'ere, I'm a yellow belly from Lincolnshire. Now I'm doing some research about Sharrow and Little Sheffield.

Cheers

James

all the people on here remember the pubs there was also frank b roper motor cycles Dan Bradbury motorcycles and horridge and wildgoose motorcycles as well as werringes were you could get anything pork related excet the squeal

My memories of the area start around the early 1950s. There used to be a jewellers on the opposite side of the road from The Continental coffee shop. (There used to be quite a wide window seat in The Continental which we called the continental shelf) Laugh a minute in those days - what !!!!!!!!!! Also there was a pawn shop higher up on the left and even high up was a Farm shop. We used to buy roast pork sandwiches dipped.(one half the breadcake was dipped in hot pork fat) Not to today's taste I know but I have to say they were fantastic. There was also a dentist, Mr Williams, opposite. There was also a record shop on the right side going up.

Grannypat

My memories of the area start around the early 1950s. There used to be a jewellers on the opposite side of the road from The Continental coffee shop. (There used to be quite a wide window seat in The Continental which we called the continental shelf) Laugh a minute in those days - what !!!!!!!!!! Also there was a pawn shop higher up on the left and even high up was a Farm shop. We used to buy roast pork sandwiches dipped.(one half the breadcake was dipped in hot pork fat) Not to today's taste I know but I have to say they were fantastic. There was also a dentist, Mr Williams, opposite. There was also a record shop on the right side going up.

Grannypat

Remember the continental well I used to take a lady who worked behind the counter out and of course the pork shop remember the pies they made they left a small hole in the top to pour the hot jelly in making me feel hungry just thinking about it.

I'm struggling to remember what that bit of London Road was like during my younger days mammybear. Thinking back to the pubs, I liked The Old Crown and the Tramway the best followed by the Sheldon. Tommy Hoyland was the landlord of the Sheldon, Roy Marsh was the landlord of the Old Crown and I should remember the landlord of The Tramway because I recall him throwing a great party with a marquee for the royal wedding in 1982 on the grass where the houses previously stood on Broom Close.
hi Collingwood i went in the old crown a lot in the late 60s great pub big snooker table out the back and agoog juke box, i think the landlords wife was called doreen cant remember long time ago was the tramway a tetleys house, Tony p

Grannypat

You might think that dipping bread in pork fat isn't to todays tastes, but that's because you haven't eaten a Sheffield pork sandwich in many moons - I was amazed when I moved here that they did that, as I had never seen dipped pork sandwiches before... Beres are probably the main ones who do this, and you might think of them as being a Hillsborough store, but they're springing up all over now...

How far up was the Continental? It'd be interesting to think of what was once on London Rd, as parts of it are a bit barren these days, especially where it leaves Abbeydale Rd at the Royal (now student bedsits)

Hi James - well, as one (naturalised) yellerbelly to another...;). In my 1950s childhood there were hardly any takeaways apart from chip shops, but in c. 1956 London Road had what I think was Sheffield's first coffee bar - the Disc Jockey at No 64. That's where, aged eight, I marvelled at the workings of a juke box when my grandad and me called in for a cuppa.

These scans from the 1968 Kelly's Directory give an idea of the sort of businesses that were on the first part of London Road (almost as far as Sharrow Lane) at that time.

disc jockey-dont know if it was the first but popular with the teddy boys ,my brother being one.london rd most people forget starts or ends which ever you prefer at albert rd and then becomes chesterield rd. lots of changes lots of memories!

A great photo of the police box. I remember it before the war. On the opposite side of the main London road was the Lansdowne picture house.

Also,just by the police box, is where the local blackhirts would hold open air meetings in the evenings, As young kids that was good free entertainment to listen to the arguments,sometimes quite heated.

On the same side of the road, going towards the bottom of Ecclesall road,was a group of shops,which included a jewellers and a gown shop. The shops were bombed and destroyed during the blitz and they became an advertising site with 3 or 4 big hoardings. They remained that way for years,but recently,thanks to Google street level,I've had another look and I'm amazed that after 70 years the site is still an advertising site. Why is it that a valuable site like that,in a great position,remains so? Beats me.

AH yes the old tardis police box i remember it well having spent many an hour cooling off after one to many drinky poos in the landsdown i remember playing darts in the side room of the landsdown and everytime a dart missed and hit the wall it was another step towards digging our way into the Yorkshire Penny Bank next door.