Help on MySQL Please

Nah, Abyss is a windows based WebServer, with a web based configuration..

Abyss X1 is a single site (though supports vhosting) solution and is great for setting up a dev (or application) server.. :D

Basically all you need is MySQL, however you'll probably want a webserver and the PHP interpreter.

Personally I always use Apache (httpd), there isn't much configuration for a basic setup, just one line change in the config file. Abyss I did use many years ago and yes very easy, but in some advanced ways, lacking...

I'd suggest WAMP / LAMP for the beginner.

Are you eventually going to be using some kind of pre built web interface or developing your own?

If your developing your own, then start with a small data set and develop the interface before piling ahead and inputting your data before realising that it could be in a better format!

Personally I learnt SQL on the command line and often drop down to it to sort out problems. Anything else is just making these statements anyway and are virtually identical anyway.

Thank you everyone for your input.

There's an awful lot of information on here, and I shall go away and digest it all.

Many thanks.

Depending on what you want to do there's likely no need to reinvent the wheel. There's possibly a MySQL/Apache combination out there for download that will do what you want.

Neither are that hard to use though as pointed out you need some way of joining the dots so to speak.