Help on MySQL Please

Hi

I've asked advice on here before with regard to databases, adn MySQL seems to be the way forward for me.

However, before I embark upon it, I should just like to check first please. MySQL, I can download it for free from the internet, and can I just start using it (like I would say, Access), build up my database full of information and then use it (along with PHP) on a website.

Have I got that right?

IE: MySQL is a stand alone database that I can load information up to without first having to do anything else?

If it IS a standalone database (like Access) can I search for information on it without the website (ie: do I need a website to be able to use it?).

I have over 5,000 records I need to get into a database, I need to use the database before I'm actually ready to upload it all to a website and make it available publicly.

Thanks for looking in :D

no, mysql needs some form of interface, be-it something that's pre-written (like MySQL explorer, or phpmyadmin) or something you write yourself..

you would need to have a MySQL server set up, a web server (apache or Abyss X1 etc) and also have PHP installed and set up on your web server..

you would then need something like phpmyadmin to help you set up your database (create the tables and rows etc... -unless your going to create a script to create them-)

then you would need to code whatever front-end your going to use in PHP...

if you were running it locally you would need all 3 servers running to use it, else you would need it hosting somewhere on the web.

so simple answer is, mysql is a database engine, and you need something that understands how to use it... its not a stand alone thing you can just 'access'

Hmmmmm, shame.

Thanks for answering me so comprehensively.

Looks like I shall be doing an Access database afterall!

Am I right that an Access can be converted to a MySQL later though? And, if so, can I then add other (new) fields to the MySQL database once it's been transferred across?

You could use MySQL Workbench alongside an installation of MySQL to insert the data into the database, avoiding the web server and PHPMyAdmin installations, but while it's designed to make it easier to set up and configure MySQL databases, it's not as user friendly or easy to pick up as Access.

Actually Ghozer, you can run MySQL statements from the command line

Actually Ghozer, you can run MySQL statements from the command line

you can yeah, but then you have to type out long queries every time (unless you batch them) and try formatting the data in an easily readable way, or printing it out..

the command line is designed for command inputting and administration, not really for every day use..

Am I right that an Access can be converted to a MySQL later though?

Probably. There might be an Access -> Mysql upsizing tool. However, such a thing would only convert your data content, not any of the front-end capability that goes with Access (e.g. forms.)

And, if so, can I then add other (new) fields to the MySQL database once it's been transferred across?

Sure.

Best would be to construct your system properly in the first place, though. I wouldn't start out with Access if you forsee a need to move away from it later.

For something that you're expecting to make available publically, Access would be next to useless. It's not a proper database management system, and it folds in multi-user environments quite easily. Put some work into the design of your system. Investigate LAMP systems.

Seriously, if you want a database that is accessible in any sort of meaningful way use MySQL rather than Access.

There will be a learning curve which may feel a bit steep (MySQL isn't user freindly point-click like MS products) but it is a real DBMS.

You can setup MySQL with PHPMyAdmin easily and there are people out there that are kindly bunding the required products together into installers.

For windows look for WAMPServer.

For Linux - it's probably all there already on your system ;)

Personally I despise WAMP and LAMP!!

There are easier solutions than those, especially if you want it easier to configure and reconfigure if required!

But for something to install and for it to just work they do work!

Personally I despise WAMP and LAMP!!

There are easier solutions than those, especially if you want it easier to configure and reconfigure if required!

But for something to install and for it to just work they do work!

For what the OP was asking, I'd suggest those solutions are perfect.

WAMP/LAMP are just names of the stack, nothing to say you can't configure them exactly how you want.

For what the OP was asking, I'd suggest those solutions are perfect.

WAMP/LAMP are just names of the stack, nothing to say you can't configure them exactly how you want.

yeah I know, but the configurations of the 'A' part (apache ;)) is ini based, and something like Abyss X1 does the job (imho much better and faster/easier than Apache) with a web based configuration too.. which is much easier for people who don't know what they are doing!

Apache isn't difficult to use/configure. In this case (OP) WAMP certainly is available as an all in one ready to go package (see WAMPServer) with NO additional config required. So ease of config is a redundant point.

I've not used Abyss X before, if you can give me a good reason to try it I will :) Though as Apache/MySQL/PHP are available to me through Yum/distro repos I see no reason to move away from my LAMP setup atm.