What's The Best Gig You've Ever Been To?

My most memorable gig was seeing Radiohead support, and totally blow away, James at the Gloucester Leisure Centre in 1993. I was a fan of James at the time, and definitely not of Radiohead. After that night my opinions reversed themselves. It was just before The Bends came out, and it was very apparent that they were on the cusp of greatness.

Alejandro Escovedo at the Boardwalk - two years ago before he became seriously ill. An extraordinary musician and performer well worth investigation.

Hawksley Workman at the Adelphi Club, Hull (incidentally the best venue in the universe ever as far as I'm concerned), back in 2000. It was magical. From the moment the man came on stage and played his first chord the audience went deadly silent.

Everyone was absolutely captivated by the best performance I've ever seen. It was funny, sad, heartfelt, raucous and totally spellbinding.

Hawksley's a true showman and it's a real pity he hasn't played in England for so long.

Slash's Snakepit at Corp was brilliant!

Best gig...hmm not sure but. Saw Slayer last year at London Astoria. Great night!!! Saw two songs by Slipsnot and had enough and walked back to the hotel!!

Got great hopes for Arch Enemy this December and just booked tickets for Chimaira at Corp, also in December!

December is a busy month. Seeing Cradle of Filth too. More out of curiosity really. Seen them supporting a few times so could be interesting!

Worst gig was Chili Peppers. Saw them a couple of years ago in Manchester. They only played songs off the latest album at the time. Which is ok if thats the only album you've ever heard.

Thats just my opinion!

Originally posted by CherryNicole

The Chili's last year were the best. They're my fav band and I've wanted to see them for ages, so that might be why.

Anthony did call us facists or something, but lets be honest, chicks on speed were a rubbish support :gag:

They was better the year before IMO when they played in the MEN, I personally didnt think they was playing their best at that gig... the year before Flea and John were really ripping up some of their classic Bass vs Guitar solo battles and the whole arena was shaking it was awesome...

and Chicks on Speed werent that bad, just the wrong crowd, they certainly DIDN'T deserve booing off stage or having things thrown at them... if you dont like a band then fine, but they've taken their time to prepare to play and to come on stage, give artists some respect...

as for James Brown after them, wow ;)

Anyways, fav gig... hmm... dunno have to say Meatloaf last year was fantastic, puts on a great show... its more like a musical theatrical with acting and such, truely awesome... Deep Purple With Peter Frampton and Thunder as supports was also a fantastic gig :)

Cant pick a favourite, seen too many great artists/bands

Originally posted by Plain Talker

For me, the best one I ever went to just has to be "Terrorvision", doing an impromptu gig in the beer garden at a rock pub at the side of Cole Brothers, in Sheffield city centre, the summer of 1993, (the night before they played heavy metal fest at Don Valley Stadium with def leppard, metallica etc).

It was fantastic, I was able bodied, then, and moshed my heart out, standing on a beer crate (LOL) so I could see over the tall blokes blocking my view.

What a night! What an atmosphere!

ACE!

PT

PT, SLH73 I was there too.

It was truly amazing. The energy the fun and spontinaetyof it all. I'm sorry I was one of the tall blokes in your way.

I had never heard of them before that but after I saw them about 5 times.. Greak rock music which you could dance to.

:clap::thumbsup:

Originally posted by Rockerman

but the best Live band i've seen (and the most times) is a Rock Band called Thunder

I just bought tickets to see

I have seen thunder a few times too, I didn't know they were still going. A good hard working british blues rock band with a frontman with a voice with an amazing quality to it.

The Chili's last year were the best. They're my fav band

The RHCPs have gone down hill since the Blood Sugar album, one of the greatest rock albums of all time. The earlier albums were truly groundbreaking and full of energy. After Blood Sugar, they have turned into a housewives choice, ballard, boring band.

One of the greatest Gigs I ever saw was Jane's Addiction, the first time around in about 1987. At the Ledmill, the support didn't materialise, and I nearly went home, but they finally came on at midnight and played one of the most amazing gigs I ever saw.

I also used to love Faith No More. They played sheffield about 5 times, and I loved it. From out of nowhere is one of my favourite songs ever, but they went off a couple of albums later.

The Chili's last year were the best. They're my fav band and I've wanted to see them for ages, so that might be why.

Anthony did call us facists or something, but lets be honest, chicks on speed were a rubbish support :gag:

Was it the Manchester gig? I was there!

The Chilli's rocked.....but James Brown was in a league of his own!!

Originally posted by xafier

and Chicks on Speed werent that bad, just the wrong crowd, they certainly DIDN'T deserve booing off stage or having things thrown at them... if you dont like a band then fine, but they've taken their time to prepare to play and to come on stage, give artists some respect...

I certainly wasn't booing or throwing things at the stage, I found them funny more than anything else. Definatly wrong crowd, I think people just expected someone a bit better known and not so weird :D that's all. They did add something to the gig mind ;)

Aye liencam, manchester :headbang: suprised I didn't see you in the 60,000 people that were there!! ;)

I certainly wasn't booing or throwing things at the stage, I found them funny more than anything else. Definatly wrong crowd, I think people just expected someone a bit better known and not so weird :D that's all. They did add something to the gig mind ;)

Aye liencam, manchester :headbang: suprised I didn't see you in the 60,000 people that were there!! ;)

I was sat at the back getting gradually more relaxed if you get my drift. :D

RE: Chicks on speed. They didn't do themselves any favours by lessing up to try and win the crowd over.

Originally posted by liencam

I was sat at the back getting gradually more relaxed if you get my drift. :D

RE: Chicks on speed. They didn't do themselves any favours by lessing up to try and win the crowd over.

I was in a mosh pit at the front getting battered and bruised :D

Chicks on speed did have one song that was ok. Just think that after we'd been stood in the rain for a few hours and they came on, it was just a bit too crazy for some.

I personally model my dress sense on them :D

I was in a mosh pit at the front getting battered and bruised :D

Chicks on speed did have one song that was ok. Just think that after we'd been stood in the rain for a few hours and they came on, it was just a bit too crazy for some.

I personally model my dress sense on them :D

Sod your dress sense, just think of the fun you could have if you half modelled your sexuality on them.....

:hihi:

Some of these are dj sets but were still better than the vast majority of bands I've seen.

Squarepusher @ Leadmill, Sheffield 2004.

Fear Factory @ Rio's, Bradford 2001

Aphex Twin @ Carling festival, Leeds 2002

Radiohead @ The Apollo, Manchester 2003

Andy Jenkinson @ The Social, Sheffield 2005

Chris Liberator @ Corporation, Sheffield 2005

Captain Tinrib @ The Arches, Sheffield 2003

The Arcade Fire @ Leadmill, Sheffield 2005

Autechre @ The Showroom, Sheffield 2003