Egypyt Bware of being conned

Just a case of people not doing enough research into the country they're visiting isn't it?

I've been to Egypt many times and I have never felt "conned", if you don't like the price of something, don't buy it.

A little reading up on the country you are going to visit shows you how to get out of nearly all scams.

Just a case of people not doing enough research into the country they're visiting isn't it?

I've been to Egypt many times and I have never felt "conned", if you don't like the price of something, don't buy it.

A little reading up on the country you are going to visit shows you how to get out of nearly all scams.

we always do extensive reading up on everywhere we go, as you say you've been many time but i bet the very first time you went something happened to you and learned from it and so on, this was our first time in the country we expected to have street sellers trying to sell you tat, but not be ripped off in the airport. and the ferocity of the sellers sometimes scared my wife and son, infact at the pyramids two sellers where actually fighting over who should try and sell us items, you cant just stop and browse a stall because basically your never left alone.

we always do extensive reading up on everywhere we go, as you say you've been many time but i bet the very first time you went something happened to you and learned from it and so on, this was our first time in the country we expected to have street sellers trying to sell you tat, but not be ripped off in the airport. and the ferocity of the sellers sometimes scared my wife and son, infact at the pyramids two sellers where actually fighting over who should try and sell us items, you cant just stop and browse a stall because basically your never left alone.

I agree that it's not an easy country to travel and it must be extremely difficult to do with a child.

I think one of the things you have to keep in mind is that the people fighting over trying to sell must be desperate if they have to do this.

I do see your point, there is quite a culture shock the first time you visit, I think I may just have a little too much passion over some countries.

Egypt is a country of intense poverty. What they see when we get off the plane are 100 or so people rich beyond the wildest dreams of any of the Egyptians struggling to bring up families and care for their elderly.

Yes, the hassling is infuriating at times, but we're guests in their country and you either put up with it or don't go. We have money and we are, therefore, "business" and you'll hear that word again and again in the souks and hotels.

I've met with incredible kindness and hospitality from people living in wattle and daub huts and shared a meal of cold chips and pump water with a family whose little girl of 11 showed me proudly round the tombs at Qurna for the equivalent of £2.

I hope you never know the sort of poverty these people live in, having to resort to trying to sell papyrus, stone cats and rugs to coachloads of complacent tourists whose expenditure on one restaurant meal would keep an Egyptian family for a month.

That is so true RosyRat, the Egyptian people have had a raw deal for far too long let's hope and pray that what's hapened this last few days will help to bring a change ! Power to the People !

Even better pretend to be german as a lot of Egyptians who own these shops only really speak english

LOL I tried that in Sharm cos I was sick of being hassled. It just seemed to make the shopkeepers even more abusive and aggressive :hihi:. The only good thing about the place was the snorkelling and the recent shark attacks have even put me off that. I don't think I'll be going back.

The cigarette/tobacco thing happens in alot of countries. We went to a gypsy market on a trip to the Algarve. A few couples had bought fags from there and discovered they had small stones and twigs in the packets

Could be a fully fledged popular uprising again.

It's typical, you wait two decades for popular uprisings against the autocrats accross north Africa and the middle east ... and then three come along at once.

Could be a fully fledged popular uprising again.

It's typical, you wait two decades for popular uprisings against the autocrats accross north Africa and the middle east ... and then three come along at once.

and, this time the revolution is televised.:headbang:

We returned from our second trip to Hurgardah on tuesday. We had a fantastic holiday and hopefully will be going back again next winter. Although you do get hassled we find a firm "no thank you" with a smile is enough.

We paid 40 LE for a paper but that was our choice no one ripped us off. By the way they were always yesterdays:)

As a rule the people are nice and we tipped a lot cos what was nothing to us on holiday meant the world to them.

I hope the trouble is over quickly without too many people getting hurt.

We returned from our second trip to Hurgardah on tuesday. We had a fantastic holiday and hopefully will be going back again next winter. Although you do get hassled we find a firm "no thank you" with a smile is enough.

We paid 40 LE for a paper but that was our choice no one ripped us off. By the way they were always yesterdays:)

As a rule the people are nice and we tipped a lot cos what was nothing to us on holiday meant the world to them.

I hope the trouble is over quickly without too many people getting hurt.

We also go to Hurghada next time in May. We have been going for the last

12 yrs. The difference in 12 yrs is amazing ! Sometimes not for the better.

When we first started going I too was very wary, but now we go back to the same hotel as we are looked after. 12 yrs ago , they didnt have DVDs and Hurghada was mutch smaller,the tourist industry has boomed there, thankfully for the people to keep them in jobs.

The thing I do disagree with is they are building loads of apartments for Europeans, not Egyptians, even if they have the money to buy they are told

that they cannot.

We have made many friends there and have visited their homes, always proud

of what they have. They rely on the tourist industry so everyone wants to sell you something no matter what it is.

Hope it doesnt put everyone off as there are good and bad everywhere,and cant wait for May !