Child Like Bollards near schools.

I guess they are if their job is to make people brake on a main road for no obvious or apparent reason.

I think the concept of them is a load of bollards if you ask me :hihi:

They could cause more accidents people being freaked out by them.

And someone runs up your arse end!

Stupid idea.

If people are jumpy to this degree by a static model of a child at the roadside then perhaps they shouldnt be driving at all.

There has been no accidents near that one on hatfieldhouse lane that I know of,If you see the traffic as it comes round the corner or through the lights most definitely slow down.

It's entirely possible that this cause more accidents (not just because of the sudden braking problem highlighted above).

If people drive past these things everyday and get used to the fact that it's just a lookalike child dummy stood next to the road it's entirely probable they'll just eventually start to continue driving at their normal speed rather than react to it.

Then, when they see an actual real child stood motionless, waiting at the side of the road to cross, they'll have become so accustomed to seeing the fake version of it they'll just carry on, driving as normal, as the reception to seeing virtually the same thing daily will have impressed upon them not to naturally react (e.g., suddenly brake, or slow down).

Has this been tested? (obviously computer simulated, I'm not suggesting you occasionally swap the dummy for a real child and have him jump out in the middle of the road, shouting "surprise!" :hihi:)

Edited by kinetic

It's entirely possible that this cause more accidents (not just because of the sudden braking problem highlighted above).

If people drive past these things everyday and get used to the fact that it's just a lookalike child dummy stood next to the road it's entirely probable they'll just eventually start to continue driving at their normal speed rather than react to it.

Then, when they see an actual real child stood motionless, waiting at the side of the road to cross, they'll have become so accustomed to seeing the fake version of it they'll just carry on, driving as normal, as the reception to seeing virtually the same thing daily will have impressed upon them not to naturally react (e.g., suddenly brake, or slow down).

Has this been tested? (obviously computer simulated, I'm not suggesting you occasionally swap the dummy for a real child and have him jump out in the middle of the road, shouting "surprise!" :hihi:)

I think you're right. It seems to me like a classic case of 'crying wolf'

It seems the attempts to get drivers to scan the road ahead effectively, to look out for hazards PROACTIVELY rather than reactively is doomed to fail if some of the responses are anything to go by.

If there were ever a thread to bring out of the woodwork self-confessed "away with the fairies", autopilot drivers, this is it. Of course, if you fail to spot something, go for the brake when it surprises you, it's always the Council's fault.

Amazing.

Traffic+Bollard+Photo+2.jpg

Are these actually more dangerous than first thought? 

I don't like them. They're unnecessarily creepy.

However my thoughts turn to their longevity and with that, the future danger they potentially pose.

To me, eventually drivers will get used to them and they'll be just part of the road furniture and something that your brain will dismiss as not a hazard during normal driving. But then one day it'll be a real child about to run into your path & your brain dismisses it as a static roadside object & you'll not react to it.

One dead child.

Is it just me or does anyone else think this? 

It's not that daft a supposition. I don't know if you are right but I find the argument persuasive

2 hours ago, Resident said:

Traffic+Bollard+Photo+2.jpg

Are these actually more dangerous than first thought? 

I don't like them. They're unnecessarily creepy.

However my thoughts turn to their longevity and with that, the future danger they potentially pose.

To me, eventually drivers will get used to them and they'll be just part of the road furniture and something that your brain will dismiss as not a hazard during normal driving. But then one day it'll be a real child about to run into your path & your brain dismisses it as a static roadside object & you'll not react to it.

One dead child.

Is it just me or does anyone else think this? 

Sounds plausible  to me, as you say the regular users of the road would get used to

seeing them and they would get ignored until  . . 

On 24/01/2011 at 10:22, Rensh said:

What do you all think the to bollards which have been designed as kids on the school crossings?

Saw a car come round the corner the other day around half past 4 just as it was going dark (driving at a very safe speed i might add) and slammed on the brakes as she thought she saw a child - I know close up you can see they are clearly not real but as it was going dark at a glance it could cause accidents. I've spoken to a couple people and apparently its caused quite a few people to slam on the brakes and gave them a bit of a shock...

What do you all think?

I think braking suddenly should not cause an accident if other drivers are maintaining a safe distance behind you.  

I think slowing down near schools is likely to lead to a reduction in accidents rather than increase them. 

I think the bollards which look like children are not a particularly attractive feature - but if they do the job of forcing motorists to slow down then it's not a bad thing.

2 hours ago, katekate said:

They are a distraction, enough said!

No they're not.  Enough said.