Curtains need taking up..

bought some curtains in a sale which need taking up - £60 at Dunelm but they want £39 to take them up! Basic one colour lined curtains. Can anyone suggest someone cheaper.....tried taking them to I$H on Woodseats thinking they would do them cheaper and quicker but they wanted £70 !!! I know everyone needs to make a living but blimey!

Help - please.....

Cheers in advance.

I used some of that Wonder Web stuff, it worked okay. If you can plug an iron in don't bother paying to have them sewn....

The easiest way to shorten lined curtains, if the linings are stitched down the sides, is this way.

Take off the header tape, measure the length you want the curtains to be when hung with the hooks in the middle pocket of the tape, turn over at the top (don't cut it off at this stage) securely pin the tape back on about an inch below the top, and hang the curtains to check for length.

If they're the right length, trim so that you can turn in the raw edge about half an inch and machine the header tape back on. You can hand sew obviously but it'd be a long job even with a small curtain.

That's my tried and tested method anyway. Doing it this way leaves the hem and side hems all nice and neat with no wobbly hand stitching visible. Any wobbles at the top are hidden when you pull up the header tape to width,

Edited by rubydazzler

thanks Frank and Ruby but I will prob c0ck up the irony option and my eyes and brain glazed over at the thought of the stitching option....sorry to be cheeky Ruby but if you know anyone who would do them for me properly please let me know; no rush and I could drop them off and pay £25 or so...

Thanks again folks,

Tony.

thanks Frank and Ruby but I will prob c0ck up the irony option and my eyes and brain glazed over at the thought of the stitching option....sorry to be cheeky Ruby but if you know anyone who would do them for me properly please let me know; no rush and I could drop them off and pay £25 or so...

Thanks again folks,

Tony.

Or you could always have bigger windows fitted...:D

The easiest way to shorten lined curtains, if the linings are stitched down the sides, is this way.

Take off the header tape, measure the length you want the curtains to be when hung with the hooks in the middle pocket of the tape, turn over at the top (don't cut it off at this stage) securely pin the tape back on about an inch below the top, and hang the curtains to check for length.

If they're the right length, trim so that you can turn in the raw edge about half an inch and machine the header tape back on. You can hand sew obviously but it'd be a long job even with a small curtain.

That's my tried and tested method anyway. Doing it this way leaves the hem and side hems all nice and neat with no wobbly hand stitching visible. Any wobbles at the top are hidden when you pull up the header tape to width,

We need to get out more...:hihi:

Thats brilliant Frank - I will return these, get shorter ones and buy bricks with the refund. Brick up the window to suit the curtains - job done!

We could start up a soft furnishings helpline for blokes maybe.....

Cheers mate!

Thats brilliant Frank - I will return these, get shorter ones and buy bricks with the refund. Brick up the window to suit the curtains - job done!

We could start up a soft furnishings helpline for blokes maybe.....

Cheers mate!

Don't mention it. :hihi:

thanks Frank and Ruby but I will prob c0ck up the irony option and my eyes and brain glazed over at the thought of the stitching option....sorry to be cheeky Ruby but if you know anyone who would do them for me properly please let me know; no rush and I could drop them off and pay £25 or so... Thanks again folks, Tony.
Don't look at me :D. My DIY curtain making days are long gone. Honestly ... I'd go with the Dunelm option. It seems a really good deal to me. I mean, £39 - how much does a tradesman charge just for walking in your door? Edited by rubydazzler
my smiley went AWOL

there is a brill little dressmakers in Hillsborough - professional job - we've taken ours there in the past - let me know if you want the name and address

thanks everyone for the tips (even Frank...) - someone local has messaged me and I am gonna drop them off this week,

Cheers, Tony.