Any veg' that can be planted at this time of year?

I think you are probably expecting too much for your pear tree to produce fruit this year.

I suspect that what's happened is either there's been a slight frost (I think we had one last week) or the tree is just settling down.

I've never had a pear tree but what happens with our victoria plum tree is that the blossom arrives and when it drops we can see what looks like tiny plums. I've noticed that these plums do seem to drop off but fruit still arrives later.

Having said all of that.......our poor old viccy is on it's last legs but each year I give it another chance because I just can't bring myself to chop it down. :(

We haven't actually had what can be described as a "crop" for a couple of years or so now........just the odd plum which the wasps usually beat us to.

I do know that if the blossom is hit by a frost then you can wave goodbye to a decent crop of plums but I don't know if the same applies to pears.

We also have an ancient Bramley apple and an eating apple which I don't know the variety of.

These trees were all here when we bought the house 15 years ago and they weren't youngsters then.

I'm seeing signs of the Bramley getting ready to be pensioned off which is a crying shame because over the years it's been a massive producer.

The eating apple has allways had scabby skins but once peeled the fruit is lovely and sweet.

Anyhow..........back to your pear tree........I wouldn't worry too much this year. Keep it well watered and feed it as well and see what happens.

I know you will be over the moon if you only get one pear off it this year.........just don't fight over it with your family. :hihi:

I've now transplanted my peas outside to the raised bed and have sown chillis and peppers in the greenhouse, so far so good.

Is it too early to sow tomatoes (I'll be growing them in the greenhouse not moving them outside)?

update

I've harvested all the radish and most of the spring onion. my peas and beans are flowering and I have sown carrot and cucumber now also. my strawberries are forming fruit too :) my toms and peppers are only small still but fingers crossed! also I have dwarf runner beans sprouting in pots :)

update

I've harvested all the radish and most of the spring onion. my peas and beans are flowering and I have sown carrot and cucumber now also. my strawberries are forming fruit too :) my toms and peppers are only small still but fingers crossed! also I have dwarf runner beans sprouting in pots :)

I've got a second sowing of radish on the go now......the first ones were really tiny. I've also got a second sowing of lettuce on the go.....the flaming slugs ate the first lot!

I had to plant my runner beans out because they were all getting tangled up together because they were up and away. They are on wigwams in huge tubs though so I can easily cover them over if needs be.

I've got 3 cucumber plants romping away in their buckets in the conservatory, and the toms are also in their buckets now and getting big.

My first sowing of peppers didn't germinate (mental note not to buy from that e-bay seller again) so I had to buy some more seed. That made them later then I would have liked so as of now they are only a couple of inches high. They might fruit but ideally they like a really long growing season. Time will tell.

Our strawbs are doing ok as well and usually ripen up around wimbledon time. I must sort the raspberries out though.......plenty of canes but a load of old ones that should have been removed last year. The gooseberry bush promises another massive crop and so far no sawfly.....fingers crossed.

My veggy plot is still covered over with tarpaulin because it's a bit too much for me to manage now. Such a shame really.

As for weeds..........we won't go there. lol.

I've now started planning what in going to do next after the (hopefully) glut of veg in the summer. ive worked out I should be able to grow pak choi, carrots, spinach, lettuce (all year round variety), parsnips and winter salad from august through the autumn. does this seem right? is there anything else that can be grown in the cooler months. I'm not too keen on turnip and swede but otherwise am open minded! thanks :)

Any veg' that can be planted at this time of year?

CABBAGE!

bit late for anything now.get ready for late jan when onion sets go on also broad beans and early peas but all under cover prefererably in greenhouse

Guest sibon

I've just spent the afternoon planting over wintering onion sets, shallots and garlic.

They will all be ready next June.

I've just spent the afternoon planting over wintering onion sets, shallots and garlic.

They will all be ready next June.

:o I was just going to post that its the ideal time to plant onions and garlic.....just seen your post in time. :D

Planted onion garlic and shallots a couple

of weeks ago, also have kale and winter salad growing. fingers crossed :)