Any veg' that can be planted at this time of year?

Mizuna - sow on window ledge then outside. Its like rocket really nice and very expensive in the supermarket.

not too late to plant a winter broad bean aquadulche too.

Time for an update guys, the weather seems to be getting better, snow at the weekend was just a blip. Are we yet ready to plant anything outside?

Time for an update guys, the weather seems to be getting better, snow at the weekend was just a blip. Are we yet ready to plant anything outside?

well if you are going to use mini tunnels etc, you'll be able to warm up the soil and protect seedlings from pigeons / mice etc, however the issue with this time of year is mostly that the days are so short.

I sowed broad beans & globe artichokes - both inside the greenhouse - at the weekend.

As others have said, garlic, onion sets & shallots can go into the ground now.

If you are going to start things indoors, I think you need a fairly constant heat and steady light source - things to start around now would be tomatoes, peppers etc. I'll be doing mine later on as I don't have somewhere warm or safe to keep them. You can be chitting your potatoes - I'll be planting my main crop in mid-late March

well if you are going to use mini tunnels etc, you'll be able to warm up the soil and protect seedlings from pigeons / mice etc, however the issue with this time of year is mostly that the days are so short.

I sowed broad beans & globe artichokes - both inside the greenhouse - at the weekend.

As others have said, garlic, onion sets & shallots can go into the ground now.

If you are going to start things indoors, I think you need a fairly constant heat and steady light source - things to start around now would be tomatoes, peppers etc. I'll be doing mine later on as I don't have somewhere warm or safe to keep them. You can be chitting your potatoes - I'll be planting my main crop in mid-late March

Thank you mc55. Days are definately getting longer, today was beautiful. I spent about an hour watching a pair of Robins nest building in the old ivy covered barn while I was building some raised beds. Bliss.:)

Guest sibon

Hi MOS. You can still get onion sets and shallots in the garden centres.

I've sown broad beans, leeks and little gem lettuce today. All in the greenhouse, although they would be fine outside too.

Pretty soon, I'll be planting early peas, spuds and cabbage.

Hi MOS. You can still get onion sets and shallots in the garden centres.

I've sown broad beans, leeks and little gem lettuce today. All in the greenhouse, although they would be fine outside too.

Pretty soon, I'll be planting early peas, spuds and cabbage.

Cheers sibon, getting quite exited about planting something, champing at the bit! Is that a bit wierd!?:blush::)

With the unforeseen elongated winter conditions, it's a good idea to leave the onions, and potatoes a little while after Easter

Thanks dagaul101, I was wondering about that after I heard the forecast of more snow and ice to come!

Have planted radish out in raised bed and sown broad beans and spring onions too, peas sown in greenhouse, also have sunflowers, daisies, geraniums, pansies and salvia seeds on the go inside too

Have planted radish out in raised bed and sown broad beans and spring onions too, peas sown in greenhouse, also have sunflowers, daisies, geraniums, pansies and salvia seeds on the go inside too

What about the forcast harsh weather, will it effect them (the outdoor stuff), or will it be too short lived to cause any real damage? :)