Any veg' that can be planted at this time of year?

If not, when and what is the earliest I can plant?

I cleared a plot at the bottom of the garden back in the autumn in readyness for having a crack at growing our own veg' this year. I have threatened myself to to this for many years, but for one reason or another it hasn't happened, so I am determined not to miss the boat this year.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer me. :)

Garlic. If you have a bit of protection/window sil you could also sow onion seeds and chit some potatoes ready to plant out as the soil warms up. Oh and broad beans.

If you can get hold of some old carpet (try freegle) you could lay that down onto your soil to help warm things up. It will also help keep the weeds down when things do get started.

I've started radish seeds in my greenhouse (if you don't have a greenhouse you can pop a seed tray under a clean plastic food lid). Hoping to plant them out in a few weeks. Will be starting onions in a couple of weeks :)

Guest sibon

I've started a few beetroot today, in a greenhouse.

You can also plant onion seed and broad beans now.

If you have somewhere warm, you might want to try some celeriac. They need planting soon.

This site might help you.

I haven't got a greenhouse, but I have set aside some space for one, better get my skates on! Decided to take a day off work today to get stuck in while the weather is pretty mild. Really enjoyed being in the garden this weekend all the kids joined in and we all felt better for spending more time in the fresh air.:)

Its too early for outside stuff yet. Garlic and onions should be planted October to December. You can buy potatoes to 'chit' now and plant later. February is time to start planting seeds etc inside. This is the first year I am attempting to grow lots from seed, only done a few before. I normally cheat and buy a few small plants in May.

Have you got room to make or buy a small coldframe?

Its too early for outside stuff yet. Garlic and onions should be planted October to December. You can buy potatoes to 'chit' now and plant later. February is time to start planting seeds etc inside. This is the first year I am attempting to grow lots from seed, only done a few before. I normally cheat and buy a few small plants in May.

Have you got room to make or buy a small coldframe?[/QUOTE]

Yes I think so, the bottom part of my garden which I have 'pinched' for veg' is about 15'x30' next to this is an area which is twice the size which I believe was an orchard many moons ago. Restoring this part of the garden to it's former glory will be another little project for me eventualy, but not yet!:)

Have you got room to make or buy a small coldframe?[/QUOTE]

Yes I think so, the bottom part of my garden which I have 'pinched' for veg' is about 15'x30' next to this is an area which is twice the size which I believe was an orchard many moons ago. Restoring this part of the garden to it's former glory will be another little project for me eventualy, but not yet!:)

I've fenced off a veg plot about this size. it's quite a good sized area.

Its too early for outside stuff yet. Garlic and onions should be planted October to December.

you can still plant garlic now, and I mean sow onion seeds so they're ready for early planting, sorry. :)

I've fenced off a veg plot about this size. it's quite a good sized area.

It is, but I can't help thinking I have bitten off more than I can chew for a first attempt. I am also looking at buying fruit trees to bring the old orchard back to life, will this be a little less demanding?

It is, but I can't help thinking I have bitten off more than I can chew for a first attempt. I am also looking at buying fruit trees to bring the old orchard back to life, will this be a little less demanding?

I've planted garlic, two wilko bags of onion setts and some strawberry plants. I'm going to plant 50 potatoes and that doesn't leave a large area left. I plan to put in some other veg to fill the space. I have soft fruit bushes and fruit trees around the garden and an orchard that is grassed with a flower border along one side. fruit trees take no work. Soft fruit doesn take much work either.