Sleeping in wheely bins

Industrial ones-yes that must be the type. Question answered.

I would be clever and find out the day the bin is taken, and not sleep in it the night before the bin men are due to come

Picture the scene:homeless guy on smack,or has just put a 4 pack of special brew away,sub zero temp thinks to himself-better check which day the bins are collected.

Picture the scene:homeless guy on smack,or has just put a 4 pack of special brew away,sub zero temp thinks to himself-better check which day the bins are collected.

indeed

I would hide in the bushes for a week, the days before I would find just enough food for me to survive for the week and get my hands on pen and paper to note down all the movements as they happen regarding the bin situation

times of people taking things to the bins so I could work the on average times when no one goes near the bins, times when the bin men come obviusly and local hide spots for when I know people are about

with my pen and pad I would also do a sketch map of a 2 mile radius around my new future bin home

Edited by mystery man

MsM - that may be the theory. But what happens in reality? I still see rough sleepers even though it's been so cold over the last few months. Of course they may have been offered accommodation and refused it.

I've witnessed rough sleepers who didn't qualify for priority be put up in B&B for several nights paid for by SCC when temperatures were really low. But they did have to present themselves at Howden House and get their situation checked out. There will always be some however who want to fend for themselves whatever the situation.

Drink and drugs play some part, also mental illness is a big factor.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

I've witnessed rough sleepers who didn't qualify for priority be put up in B&B for several nights paid for by SCC when temperatures were really low. But they did have to present themselves at Howden House and get their situation checked out. There will always be some however who want to fend for themselves whatever the situation.

And others who don't have the means to get to Howden House, or know that that's where they're supposed to go.

Although it's London and not Sheffield, this is a depressing read. I thank my lucky stars I have a reasonably well paid job and a roof over my head, especially on a cold night like tonight.

I would suggest most of the homeless in Sheffield do know where to go. There are outreach workers and various drop in and support centres, like the Archer project at the Cathedral. Some turn up again and again. Some get rehoused, but don't cope with living a 'normal' life, and soon give up their tenancies. The really lucky ones get the support they need, and manage to get off the streets.

Before I worked in housing I thought - empty flat + homeless person - problem solved, but its not that simple. Even when there were loads of empty flats we still had people who were homeless.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

Drink and drugs play some part, also mental illness is a big factor.

After being turned away from Howden house initially some of these people are unlikely to go back.

Howden house: Male, over 21?

Homeless guy: Yes.

Howden house: Fend for thysen.

Homeless guy then proceeds to drink strong lager to get to sleep. His life goes down the pan. Society does not benefit.

Like you say, drink, drugs and mental illness. These people are not inherently bad, they have some problems they are struggling to deal with, and other more pressing problems in addition arrive, it all gets a bit overwhelming.

Things like alcohol and heroin numb the pain. Before long they are dead.

There has been another incident recently of some bloke being trapped in the mechanism of a dust bin lorry. There was one incident just before Xmas where another guy died when he was crushed in a similar way.

What I don’t understand is how anyone could get comfortable enough to sleep. I could not stay long with my legs bent like that. I guess it would be ok for a short while 5 or 10 minutes if you wanted to hide. Also, with shop doorways & subways available, why choose a wheely bin?:huh:

It can't be very comfy and must stink! How aweful.

No-one should be forced to live like this in our day and age.

There have been times in the past when I could not afford to pay my rent. I still wonder what would have happened to me had I not been able to turn to the "bank of mum and dad".

There was a time I gave a friend a sofa for two weeks because his parents threw him out and the council turned him away. I wonder what might have happened to him, too.

After being turned away from Howden house initially some of these people are unlikely to go back.

Howden house: Male, over 21?

Homeless guy: Yes.

Howden house: Fend for thysen.

Homeless guy then proceeds to drink strong lager to get to sleep. His life goes down the pan. Society does not benefit.

Like you say, drink, drugs and mental illness. These people are not inherently bad, they have some problems they are struggling to deal with, and other more pressing problems in addition arrive, it all gets a bit overwhelming.

Lots of truth in what you say. However, the question I originally answered was about the very cold conditions. And help is offered by councils at those times.

People from all walks of life can find themselves homeless, it happens more to men than women, and has lots of causes. Councils haven't got the capacity to house every person who finds themselves without permanent accommodation. Should more hostels be provided? What happens if no alcohol is allowed? Perhaps more psychiatric units in hospitals are needed? There is no simple answer - what do you think should be done?

Many homeless in London are European economic migrants who have come here hoping to work and not been able to support themselves. Their plight is worse than that of UK nationals who at least can claim benefits. But its likely they get even less sympathy.

There have been times in the past when I could not afford to pay my rent. I still wonder what would have happened to me had I not been able to turn to the "bank of mum and dad".

There was a time I gave a friend a sofa for two weeks because his parents threw him out and the council turned him away. I wonder what might have happened to him, too.

When I had to speak to young people who'd been turfed out because of a new 'stepdad' or 'uncle', or because the child benefit had stopped, I couldn't help but compare to my own situation. We've always been there for our children, much like your parents have for you. Even with things like helping them move, and giving them bits and pieces for their rooms, as well as the odd couple of quid. It was heartbreaking sometimes, often they weren't ready for independence, and were really scared about how they'd cope, even with support from the council.

Its hardly surprising that some people fall by the wayside given their start in life. And those of us with a warm bed, a decent home and food in the fridge should remember to be grateful.

Lots of truth in what you say. However, the question I originally answered was about the very cold conditions. And help is offered by councils at those times.

People from all walks of life can find themselves homeless, it happens more to men than women, and has lots of causes. Councils haven't got the capacity to house every person who finds themselves without permanent accommodation. Should more hostels be provided? What happens if no alcohol is allowed? Perhaps more psychiatric units in hospitals are needed? There is no simple answer - what do you think should be done?

Many homeless in London are European economic migrants who have come here hoping to work and not been able to support themselves. Their plight is worse than that of UK nationals who at least can claim benefits. But its likely they get even less sympathy.

How many people is any particular council expected to be able to house?

How do you arrive at that figure?

Consider Sheffield:

How many people live in Sheffield?

How do you know?

When was that number last confirmed?

How many homeless people are there in Sheffield tonight?

How do you know?

How does that compare to the number of homeless people last week?

The government - national or local - hasn't a clue how many people are in the country, where they live, where they work, how many are unemployed and inelgible to claim benefits, how many genuinely need assistance and much assistance they need.

I can understand the feeling about ID cards and the concern about the government monitoring everything the people do, but if there is no system whatsoever to keep track of people and if you don't even know how many people you've got, how on earth is any council supposed to provide adequate accommodation at short notice?