Jimmy hagen sheffield united

Anybody remember the year Wednesdy were promoted along with Spurs and beating us by .008 of a goal. We beat Spurs 2 -1 at'lane and the Owls were playing Spurs at Owlerton on the final match of the season and only had to draw, which they did 1-1 and their international kicked the ball over the bar from 3 yards out.

I have been supporting Sheffield united since 1935 and saw them lose 1-0 to Arsenal in the 1936 Cup Final(Ted Drake was the goalscorer)

I believe that one of the reason,s why Hagan did,nt sign for Wednesday was because he needed a minor operation on his foot so he could go on the FA tour to Australia

One player i hav,nt seen mentioned was little Bobby Reid,who played on the left wing

The final game of the 38/39 season was against Tottenham and United had to win to gain promotion to the 1st division,United had the ball in the net in the first minute and won the game 6-1. That was the best team i have seen during my time in following the blades

I remember Joe Mercer dropping Jimmy Hagan. (nothing to do with performance, more to show who's boss) The next match the crowd had dropped too. He was reinstated immediately and his supporters were back too. Certainly the best player I've seen at the Lane.

Sorry saxon 51 the BLADES won promotion in 70/71 so the (early70s) Div 2 quote dont ring quite right i only saw the last few years of Hagan i started going in the 52 season Hagan finished in the 58 one his party piece was to train with a tennis ball the song of that time sung to the tune of "Wonderful wonderful Copenhagen" was "Wonderful wonderful JIMMY HAGAN he's the best player in the land When he scores a goal you can hear them roar and their flocking too the stands" and so on i also remember the team you mention and yes a lot of very happy memories i also remember the 60/61 promotion side and believe me a lot of the players of that side were even greater than the players you mentioned you mentioned Hodgkinson and Pace but we also had the two Shaws JOE and Graham Ces Coldwell Richardson Summers Allchurch Kettleborough Hodgson and Simpson in that side none of this rotation rubbish that side played week in week out season after season if you look at the attendance records of the players mentioned most go into hundreds and far fewer games played then you mentioned Peter Crawford cant say we saw him play that many games in a Blades jumper Bob Widdowson & Des Thompson spring to mind i also remember the song " HO no Frank Barlow" ringing around the ground and the Stretford end 71/72 season singing "Werewolf " to the late great Trevor Hockey (RIP) this is NOT a dig at you because (WERE ALL BLADES AREN'T WE) we have seen the GOOD times and we have seen the BAD times but isn't that what makes us BLADEMEN like you i will STILL be there NEXT SEASON UTB.:love: .
believe it or not, "early 70's" includes 1970/71 season in which they played Div 2 football prior to promotion ..... which is what I was refering to. And HERE they are.

got a programme autographed by jimmy hagan somewhere pretty old now

I'd pay good money to watch this lot play once again .... even though they were a Div 2 side back then (early 70s).

Alan Hodgkinson, Tony Currie, Alan Woodward, Len Badger, Billy Dearden, Gil Reece, John Flynn, Colin Addison, Geoff Salmons, Ted Hemsley, Eddie Colquhoun, John Tudor, David Powell, Peter Crawford, Frank Barlow, Pat Buckley, John Barnwell.

Add Jimmy Hagan, Doc Pace, Keith Edwards (for his goals) to the mix, and I think I'd be in heaven.

Oh, and nearly forgot Trevor Hockey ........ for the blood and guts factor.

I never forgot the saying about TH

The first time a player went past him he would shake hands, the next time he'd give him a stare, the third time it was 3 foot in the air

Anybody remember the year Wednesdy were promoted along with Spurs and beating us by .008 of a goal. We beat Spurs 2 -1 at'lane and the Owls were playing Spurs at Owlerton on the final match of the season and only had to draw, which they did 1-1 and their international kicked the ball over the bar from 3 yards out.

The match was called "The wouldn'ts" versus "The couldn'ts", rumour had it the Spurs players recieved a canteen of cutlery each.

singing "Werewolf " to the late great Trevor Hockey (RIP) this is NOT a dig at you because (WERE ALL BLADES AREN'T WE) we have seen the GOOD times and we have seen the BAD times but isn't that what makes us BLADEMEN like you i will STILL be there NEXT SEASON UTB.:love: .

You sure its 'werewolf' He is one of my all time great players and can only remember singing 'Gorilla, Gorilla, Gorilla.....Dada, Dada Dadaaaaa'

Sorry saxon 51 the BLADES won promotion in 70/71 so the (early70s) Div 2 quote dont ring quite right i only saw the last few years of Hagan i started going in the 52 season Hagan finished in the 58 one his party piece was to train with a tennis ball the song of that time sung to the tune of "Wonderful wonderful Copenhagen" was "Wonderful wonderful JIMMY HAGAN he's the best player in the land When he scores a goal you can hear them roar and their flocking too the stands" and so on i also remember the team you mention and yes a lot of very happy memories i also remember the 60/61 promotion side and believe me a lot of the players of that side were even greater than the players you mentioned you mentioned Hodgkinson and Pace but we also had the two Shaws JOE and Graham Ces Coldwell Richardson Summers Allchurch Kettleborough Hodgson and Simpson in that side none of this rotation rubbish that side played week in week out season after season if you look at the attendance records of the players mentioned most go into hundreds and far fewer games played then you mentioned Peter Crawford cant say we saw him play that many games in a Blades jumper Bob Widdowson & Des Thompson spring to mind i also remember the song " HO no Frank Barlow" ringing around the ground and the Stretford end 71/72 season singing "Werewolf " to the late great Trevor Hockey (RIP) this is NOT a dig at you because (WERE ALL BLADES AREN'T WE) we have seen the GOOD times and we have seen the BAD times but isn't that what makes us BLADEMEN like you i will STILL be there NEXT SEASON UTB.:love: .

Ther was another Jimmy song. "How" (can you buy killarney, )

It was changed to and ended "How can you buy Jimmy Hagan".

I seem to remember going to Bramhall Lane in the late 40's when the visitors were Wolverhampton. Hagen played & Wolves fielded one or both of the Compton's.

I seem to remember going to Bramhall Lane in the late 40's when the visitors were Wolverhampton. Hagen played & Wolves fielded one or both of the Compton's.

Could this have been during the war when players guested for different clubs? The Comptons only played for Arsenal in peacetime according to Wikipedia.

After his playing career ended he managed Peterborough and West Bromwich Albion before moving abroad to Portugal. Eusebio was in his highly successful Benfica team in the 70's.

As a player he was a gifted and extremely skilful inside forward but only won one full England cap, the result, I suppose, of playing for SUFC. I'd rate him alongside Joe Shaw and Tony Currie as the best players the Blades have ever fielded, at least in my lifetime. Pity we can't bring all three back in their prime into the current team - we'd be pushing for the Premiership title! Ah well, in my dreams!

Yes he only won one full England cap which doesn't reflect on his football ability as there were some great inside forwards around in his time who were regularily selected, such as Raich Carter, Wilf Mannion and Len Shackleton just to name three.