Visits from landlord

We rent our house from a couple who are out of the country, and make payment through an estate agent.

When we moved in they said that a member of their family would be in touch to make visits to make sure the house was ok - something we expected.

But having thought about it, is it actually unreasonable/unsuitable for a member of the family to be doing these visits, or should it be the estate agent seeing as both we and the landlords are paying for their services? I also don't want any awkwardness if there's any issues with the house (which there isn't on our part)...

i think they have rights, but they have to give you some notice before they come, check your teancy agreement it should say something about it on that

GFx

They have to give you at least 24 hours notice. Regarding the estate agent doing the visit the landlord might not be paying them to do this hence sending a family member round. They cannot force you into a particular time and date, this can be mutual. If it's family then agree on a time suitable for you which can be any time. Estate agents would be stuck with office hours.

Hope this helps:

The office of fair trading document oft356 reads as follows:

3.32 We would object to a provision giving the landlord an excessive right to enter the rented property. Under any kind of lease or tenancy, a landlord is required by common law to allow his tenants ‘exclusive possession’ and ‘quiet enjoyment’ of the premises during the tenancy. In other words, tenants must be free from unwarranted intrusion by anyone, including the landlord. Landlords are unfairly disregarding that basic obligation if they reserve a right to enter the property without giving reasonable notice or getting the tenant’s consent, except for good reason.

The following is from Landlords Right Of Entry"

"Irrespective of what maybe written in the agreed contract between a landlord and a tenant e.g. a clause that states the landlord is allowed to enter the property without permission; the law will ultimately overrule the clause. Not even a contract will help a landlord in court if he/she steps into their property thinking they can do so because of what is agreed in a contract.

A landlord does have the right to ‘reasonable’ access to carry out repairs for which they are responsible, but they still always need to ask for the tenant’s permission, and give at least 24 hours notice.

A Tenant has the right to live without unnecessary interference from the landlord. Most tenants have the right to stop the landlord from coming in unless they want her/him to. If a landlord or someone acting on her/his behalf harasses a tenant or tries to make life difficult, they may be committing a criminal offence."

Edited by Lostrider

Not as such- OFT 'guidelines' are just that; they do NOT have the force of law.

My parents have a portfolio of houses in Sheffield and sometimes it is not possible to visit the premises themselves. I help out as I live locallly and can visit the tennants as soon as an enquiry is made. I have helped renovate most of the houses and know the structure and services well so I am able to give a quick indication to the landlord if the remedial work can be done straight away, a time slot needed for the work to be done, or contact associated tradesmen with the need for a time for the tennant to be in.

There should be no need for a visit to see how you are getting on. Saying that though they may be trying to give you that little bit of extra help. As I live locally I have a wealth of information to help tennants ease themselves into the area and have lots of friends that they can associate with if they want to. Paying a visit isn't always clipboard and pen.

There has been cases of tenants sub-letting. Doing a 6 month visit can deter this from happening. I have stopped doing such visits but if I ever found out that a tenant has been sub-letting then it would be a section 21 for them. All the reason to start tenancy's on a 6 month contract then onto periodic. You then only need to give 2 months notice to get possession. Unless they turn awkward that is.

We rent our house from a couple who are out of the country, and make payment through an estate agent.

When we moved in they said that a member of their family would be in touch to make visits to make sure the house was ok - something we expected.

But having thought about it, is it actually unreasonable/unsuitable for a member of the family to be doing these visits, or should it be the estate agent seeing as both we and the landlords are paying for their services? I also don't want any awkwardness if there's any issues with the house (which there isn't on our part)...

Reasonable notice for visit with a set day and approx time, what reason for visit and is there a problem with the house. Has there been a complaint that has got back to the owners ?

Thanks for all the replies.

Just to clarify, there's no issues on our part - we've made no complaints, the house is in perfect condition and exactly how it was when we moved in 5 months ago. We're ok with having a visit, because fair enough, they want to make sure the property is ok. And they have given us reasonable notice.

My reason for asking was more over the fact that we're both paying an estate agent so surely they should do some work for their money! But given that there appears to be different ways estate agents work (management or rent collection), I'm satisfied that an alternative visitor will be attending.

Closed at the request of Poster.