Jim Wilson and Sid Wilson Cyclists

On 13/02/2022 at 19:18, cuttsie said:

I was at the Pewit races G , Nev Taylor was a communist , when he died he left some money he had saved to the Sheffield Phoenix C C,

Wilsons also ran the BMB ???? team  my cycling pal Martin Harpern rode for them also Mick Coupe  , Ian Steele would have been the best of the lot if he had trained and had the proper bikes , As it was he smoked his woodbines , supped his Stoneses and still licked us lot in any sprint or hill climb , Even on his fixed gear wheel .

Thompsons bike shop was where Ponsfords are now , just up the road was Henry Holmes shop , Henry was a track man if I remember right ,

As far as Wilson bike frames go they were the best , but I always wanted a Sheffield Langsett , still do but they are rarer than rockin horse ****e .

I have been told that Sid Wilson died about week ago .we knew Sid  sybal  Beverly Tracy and lynn for years  so sad to hear this god bless him .graham and Jackie slinn 

1 hour ago, Slinny said:

I have been told that Sid Wilson died about week ago .we knew Sid  sybal  Beverly Tracy and lynn for years  so sad to hear this god bless him .graham and Jackie slinn 

Sad to hear that G ,Syd is a legand among Sheffield racing cyclists , He was always good for a laugh , Along with his brother Jim he will be rememberd

On 13/02/2022 at 19:18, cuttsie said:

I was at the Pewit races G , Nev Taylor was a communist , when he died he left some money he had saved to the Sheffield Phoenix C C,

Wilsons also ran the BMB ???? team  my cycling pal Martin Harpern rode for them also Mick Coupe  , Ian Steele would have been the best of the lot if he had trained and had the proper bikes , As it was he smoked his woodbines , supped his Stoneses and still licked us lot in any sprint or hill climb , Even on his fixed gear wheel .

Thompsons bike shop was where Ponsfords are now , just up the road was Henry Holmes shop , Henry was a track man if I remember right ,

As far as Wilson bike frames go they were the best , but I always wanted a Sheffield Langsett , still do but they are rarer than rockin horse ****e .

My parents bought me a second hand Langsett bike for my 15th birthday and I had it until I passed my driving test a few weeks beyond being 17. I was never a member of a cycling club but rode all over the place with mates.

Mum and dad were keen cyclists in the '30s and were members of the Grove Cycling Club which I think was originated somewhere close to Ecclesall Road but I've never been able to trace the actual location of their club HQ. They travelled much further afield than me. I have  photos of them at Dunster and Sheffield in Cornwall. My dad also took part in road races and trials.

echo.

Edited by echo beach

On 27/05/2022 at 15:00, echo beach said:

My parents bought me a second hand Langsett bike for my 15th birthday and I had it until I passed my driving test a few weeks beyond being 17. I was never a member of a cycling club but rode all over the place with mates.

Mum and dad were keen cyclists in the '30s and were members of the Grove Cycling Club which I think was originated somewhere close to Ecclesall Road but I've never been able to trace the actual location of their club HQ. They travelled much further afield than me. I have  photos of them at Dunster and Sheffield in Cornwall. My dad also took part in road races and trials.

echo.

Ian steel used to come to our house when I was still twelve and would mend my bike for me . Six off us would go to Matlock on Sundays or laneham ferry lan rode a black Wilson , which he would change from gears to fixed wheel from time to time , he also he a winter bike which I  think was a old langsett , I could lick the rest but never Ian , I packed up when I was sixteen then started again two years later I went on bike to Yarmouth with Ian and five more lads then packed up when I got married . Never raced at that time started again when I was 37. Got kids into it  best thing that happened to us all . We all raced , and had some great times . Met some great people . ,Sid gave me some great tips , and Jim well what more can I say .I still go on bike now  so does all the family

On 29/05/2022 at 15:35, Slinny said:

Ian steel used to come to our house when I was still twelve and would mend my bike for me . Six off us would go to Matlock on Sundays or laneham ferry lan rode a black Wilson , which he would change from gears to fixed wheel from time to time , he also he a winter bike which I  think was a old langsett , I could lick the rest but never Ian , I packed up when I was sixteen then started again two years later I went on bike to Yarmouth with Ian and five more lads then packed up when I got married . Never raced at that time started again when I was 37. Got kids into it  best thing that happened to us all . We all raced , and had some great times . Met some great people . ,Sid gave me some great tips , and Jim well what more can I say .I still go on bike now  so does all the family

SIDS funeral 7th June hutcliffe wood 11am , 

On 31/05/2022 at 15:56, Slinny said:

SIDS funeral 7th June hutcliffe wood 11am , 

I have been watching tour off France . When a rider comes down he re mounts most off the time and gets on with it , premo Rodrick put his own shoulder back in and got back on bike and is still in race now and two days ago finished third . Do you think a premier league footballer would do that  I love to watch the ladies football they get up and start playing again , l broke my collar bone in road race when a vet , on a Saturday. Tuesday back at work dragging scaffolding poles around for my son to put up , had to no work no pay 

22 minutes ago, Slinny said:

I have been watching tour off France . When a rider comes down he re mounts most off the time and gets on with it , premo Rodrick put his own shoulder back in and got back on bike and is still in race now and two days ago finished third . Do you think a premier league footballer would do that  I love to watch the ladies football they get up and start playing again , l broke my collar bone in road race when a vet , on a Saturday. Tuesday back at work dragging scaffolding poles around for my son to put up , had to no work no pay 

The Tour De France cyclists are amazing .flying head over heels into barriers ,ditches ,trees ,cars and so on, they just dust them selves down , stick on a plaster or a bandage or two and carry on , no rolling all ver like puffs of wind like pro footballers  do . Eight hours a day hard slog up mountains , through storms and  heat . bring back alloy scaffold poles .

17 minutes ago, Leo Tomlinson said:

The Tour De France cyclists are amazing .flying head over heels into barriers ,ditches ,trees ,cars and so on, they just dust them selves down , stick on a plaster or a bandage or two and carry on , no rolling all ver like puffs of wind like pro footballers  do . Eight hours a day hard slog up mountains , through storms and  heat . bring back alloy scaffold poles .

I did not use them much . Small builders had some right crap . A lot bent and so on . 

Back in mid 70s, I occasionally went to gigs around Sheffield with a friend (S.R.Walker) who was singer in a progressive rock group.  Jim, at that time, backed them on the Hammond organ. I think he might have been turned 50 then.

Until age 28, (1940-1968), I lived in Swallownest and I seem to remember that there was a similar guy who lived in Beighton - I think his name was Reg Harris

Does anyone remember this competition cyclist ??

Victor - Subang Jaya, Malaysia

Reg Harris was well-known in his heyday, but the Wikipedia entry doesn't mention Beighton.

He was a customer of my father, and certainly Beighton - I remember as a child, Reg giving me some photos of himself on different cycles

Another customer/friend of my fathers around the same time was the boxer Bruce Woodcock - at the time he lived near Doncaster, at Sprotborough, he had one or two lorries - trading as Bruce Woodcock Enterprises - he also gave me photos where he is in his boxing attire 

I think it would be around 1948/1950 time but not sure after many years have passed

Victor - Malaysia - (UK plus 7 hours)