I cant sleep! Help..

:help: Im at the end of my tether... for a few weeks now my sleep pattern has been really bad. Take last night for example... I went upstairs at 4pm (changing the bedding), and I ended up sitting down as I felt abit lightheaded, the next minute, my OH was waking me up with some food - it was 8.45pm! After apologising like an idiot for 'leaving him to it' with the house - he told me I need to see a doctor, because hes picked up how bad its getting and I need some help. So, after he made his way to bed around 11pm, I was cleaning the kitchen and went and sat on the sofa, with a cup of fruit tea to wind down with, I finally dropped off at 5.15am (ish). I had turned the TV off, got my paper and pen 'to write my thoughts on' and hadnt got anything keeping me awake as such. But I just couldnt nod off! My doctor had me writing down my thoughts at night to clear myself (this was due to depression, and not sleeping at all for a week but not having energy, then sleeping for 2.5days solid) and it did help, I filled about 3 notepads up with some pretty strange thoughts (ie.. decorating the bathroom) and he also said to try some herbal type of help before opting for a prescribed one which I did, and it still doesnt help. I am going to make an appointment as soon as the phone lines clear up. But thought id head here for some advice?

Im stood here now, after dropping off at 5.15am - I got up at 6.30am (later than usual) to take the dog walkies, (once i'm back, its time to get the house up for breakfast and start the day) but im here now, and my head is banging, it feels like someones hitting me so hard over my noggin. Everytime someone pipes up (usually a screeching pitch from an under 5 :suspect: ) my head is throbbing :( It doesnt help that now, OH is at work, and im snapping at everyone/thing. Anyone have something similar? I've lived with this for around the past 18 months or so, and although herbal products help sometimes its not all the time and I so dont want to have prescribed meds. It gives me a sickly feeling just thinking about daily tablets again! :help: Please x

Aww I feel for you, it's not nice being sleep deprived. I go to bed at 12ish then stay awake for 2 hours cos I can't sleep, then wake several times during the night freaking myself out that someone must be breaking in.

My Mother in law has a herbal sleeping aid from boots that she says helps her sleep, whether it's all psychological or not I dunno.

Have you tried having a relaxing bath before bed, as in having a bath then straight to bed.

I find going on the computer at night makes me alert too

Good luck xx

has this herbal help included evening primrose or vit B (can't remember if it's 6 or 12)

google copper toxicity.... or copper imbalance. also adrenal fatigue, usually linked. persevere with the articles, they make sense. this one particularly good:

http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/copper_toxicity_syndrome.htm

i'm not trying to diagnose you or anything, is just a suggestion to read about it as some of your symptoms fit.

Also try Melatonin, I find it good. Biovea.com sell it.

Might be worth asking for some sleeping tablets, just for a three days or a week so you can try get your sleeping pattern back in sync. Zopiclone is great but it's not available over the counter.

Holland & Barretts sell something called The Shatki Mat . Its like the Indian Bed of nails but its plastic circles instead on a mat. Lay on that for ten mins and youll have the best nights sleep ever.:)

Is this post natal depression Gina?

Might be worth asking for some sleeping tablets, just for a three days or a week so you can try get your sleeping pattern back in sync. Zopiclone is great but it's not available over the counter.

Zopiclone can give you a very bad hangover effect and if took often will loose it's effect on you. try and goole "sleep hygiene" and you may get some tips. I am like this when on nights and it's horrible. Try a warm milk with a little sugar and a glug of brandy..works a treat for me!

Zopiclone can give you a very bad hangover effect and if took often will loose it's effect on you. try and goole "sleep hygiene" and you may get some tips. I am like this when on nights and it's horrible. Try a warm milk with a little sugar and a glug of brandy..works a treat for me!

Valium give you a hangover, Zopiclone gives me a great nights sleep with none of the morning drowsyness or irritability I get from anything else.

has this herbal help included evening primrose or vit B (can't remember if it's 6 or 12)

All I have 'taken', is a tea. Its this: http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=1731&prodid=1854 The GP recommended it, but its no good. I dont want over the counter or prescribed pills though. Havent a clue what it contains!

google copper toxicity.... or copper imbalance. also adrenal fatigue, usually linked. persevere with the articles, they make sense. this one particularly good:

http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/copper_toxicity_syndrome.htm

i'm not trying to diagnose you or anything, is just a suggestion to read about it as some of your symptoms fit.

Thank you for that, will have a gander now.

I'll have a look, thanks.

Holland & Barretts sell something called The Shatki Mat . Its like the Indian Bed of nails but its plastic circles instead on a mat. Lay on that for ten mins and youll have the best nights sleep ever.:)

Has this worked for you?

Is this post natal depression Gina?

Thats where the situation is abit sketchy. I've felt like this since my FIRST pregnancy (4 years ago, in May). Throughout I had the same feelings, and afterwards. It wasnt until I had a break down last year that the doctor prescribed me tablets and labelled my feelings as depression. Either I dont want to accept it (in my mind) or its not the correct diagnosis because it never felt right to call it depression. I was on tablets, when the sleep problems kicked up a fuss again, and was told to double my dosage. Then told to come off them. Its 'ongoing' and they havent said its PND or just depression or anything other... fingers crossed i'll see the practice counsellor at some point soon (on the list since March 2010)

well as evening primrose and vit Bwhatever is safe to take whilst breast feeding, I think it's safe to say neither fall into the category of 'pill popping', just view them as 'hormone rebalancing'. You can take both together apparently, but I'd suggest one or the other to start, just so you know which is achieving what for you

You'd be surprised how much difference the evening primrose can make within days if it is hormonal (and it'll quickly help you establish if it's more pnd than other junk). Give it a go. Youve nothing to lose, and it could set you in the right direction very quickly. Talk to the pharmacist about dosage, as I think I'd bbe swapping docs having heard that story :suspect:

Edited by Strix

well as evening primrose and vit Bwhatever is safe to take whilst breast feeding, I think it's safe to say neither fall into the category of 'pill popping', just view them as 'hormone rebalancing'. You can take both together apparently, but I'd suggest one or the other to start, just so you know which is achieving what for you

You'd be surprised how much difference the evening primrose can make within days if it is hormonal (and it'll quickly help you establish if it's more pnd than other junk). Give it a go. Youve nothing to lose, and it could set you in the right direction very quickly. Talk to the pharmacist about dosage, as I think I'd bbe swapping docs having heard that story :suspect:

:thumbsup: Thanks Strix!

The doctor, my first one, was the one who said it sounds like depression and started me on the meds. He left as he was a locum doctor? (I think thats what I was told) and I saw another, and lets just say, a few others have said just about the same type of things about her. Manipulative, no sympathy at all etc that sort of thing, it was her who said after i'd told her I usually see Dr C**** 'well Dr C isnt here anymore so he wont come crawling to your rescue' :suspect: this was after i'd doubled my meds/comes off them and I never went back, as i've no desire to come face to face to such a demeaning <insert any word of choice here>! I know I must go back but I just want to get this whole sleep issue out of the way, and soon hopefully :)