Castle Market - It's ours, leave it alone!

Why are people so intent on preserving the place?

If it moves, will that move the people that fill it to the Moor too?

Will they go on the tram. The tram was planned for easy access to the main shopping area, as was Park Hill flats now the powers that be have decided that good town planning is no longer relevant.

Will they go on the tram. The tram was planned for easy access to the main shopping area, as was Park Hill flats now the powers that be have decided that good town planning is no longer relevant.

The moor isn't exactly far from the nearest tram stop though is it?

Sheffield Castle dates bk to 1270. There was a longhouse there even before then.

see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Castle

And a charter to sell and exchange goods and beasts at the joining of the Don and Sheaf was granted by the lord of the Manor much earlier than that.

The moor isn't exactly far from the nearest tram stop though is it?

Not for you maybe.

And a charter to sell and exchange goods and beasts at the joining of the Don and Sheaf was granted by the lord of the Manor much earlier than that.

As per what I've posted on another thread, the market areas were outside of the castle walls, so the area was a market area but there was not a market where the castle itself was. To hide ruins of a 13th century castle inside that awful looking 20th century building is ridiculous.

Sheffield Castle dates bk to 1270. There was a longhouse there even before then.

see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Castle

There was an order sent about in 1644 for the castle to be torn down, so according to the OP, we are living in the year 2644, or later??

Is there only me in Sheffield that thinks moving the market from the traditional area around Exchange St, Castlegate ,to the very bottom of the Moor is town planning gone mad. The Castle Market area has been let to go into a dilapidated state deliberately by the council and its leader Paul Sriven.This has then lead to all and sundry among the professional classes clammering for the Markets demolition so as they can have a nice open space and can view a small bit of garden wall that is what is left of Sheffield Castle.In there enthusiasm for this self centred scheme they completely disregard the less well of section of Sheffield folk who use the Market and its immediate area as there main shopping area,The proposed site at the BOTTOM of the moor is not served by the tram or indeed an adequate bus interchange.The actions of these selfish professionals /?who are hellbent on destroying a thousand years of traditional Market area is deplorable.
Edited by Scozzie

OK So as I see it there are two different arguments going off here.

Firstly as I see it no one is objecting to the plans for the castle ruins to be used as some sort of focal point for that area but how big is this focal point going to be ?

Sorry but knowing the council I cannot see there being a large grassed field in an area that can bring in a lot of rent.

Secondly, the other markets that were there have been turned into either eye sores or unused back waters, Looking at some old photos of the Rag and Tag shows a place full of life, it's now a quiet car park.

So as most of the fresh Veg, meat,and fish that is brought into the City could not have a better place to be deliver than where the motor way ends, why build the new market at the Moor foot?

The roads from the motorway end to the new Market have got to be a big problem waiting to happen..

Edited by grinder

As per what I've posted on another thread, the market areas were outside of the castle walls, so the area was a market area but there was not a market where the castle itself was. To hide ruins of a 13th century castle inside that awful looking 20th century building is ridiculous.

I do not know how much of a ruin there is down there and no one else i have spoken to does, I worked on the market when it was built and certainly can not remember any large bits of castle down there. If as you say the Market area was outside the castle walls then you are saying the castle was there before the market which is simply not true. The awful looking building you refer to was when built alongside Park Hill [designed so as to compliment the shopping area by walkways making access easy]. was at the time alongside Gleadless Valley regarded as the finest town planning in Europe.In my opinion that plan still cannot be bettered and certainly moving a main shopping area away from prime public transport is daft. To sum up my feelings on this i would like to say if the Market has to be pulled down and a new one built[At great expence] Then at least keep it in its historical area.

Not for you maybe.

Not for me? I'm fairly sure "the nearest trams stop" is exactly the same distance for everyone!

Not for me? I'm fairly sure "the nearest trams stop" is exactly the same distance for everyone!

It is, My comment was tongue in cheek, I E, Its not the same for the old and infirm,especially with heavy bags of shopping.

The nearest tram stop to Castle Market is Commercial St a mere 5 Min's stroll away.

The nearest tram stop to Moorfoot?.

It is, My comment was tongue in cheek, I E, Its not the same for the old and infirm,especially with heavy bags of shopping.

The nearest tram stop to Castle Market is Commercial St a mere 5 Min's stroll away.

The nearest tram stop to Moorfoot?.

Do many old people shop at Castle Market? I would imagine its a bit too dodgy for the elderly to bother with?

Do many old people shop at Castle Market? I would imagine its a bit too dodgy for the elderly to bother with?

80,000 per week more than Crystal Peaks for example.

Why is it dodgy?