Castle Market - It's ours, leave it alone!

Sheffield doesn't do farmers markets, unless it's a £5.00 anyone's guess burger from some fat Estonian guy in Fargate. Try Bakewell's farmer's market, on the last Saturday of the month. ;)

Castle Market does sell local produce just sit on the side of the spiral ramp that leads up to the loading bay and you will see lorry's and vans arriving every day from Lincolnshire , Derbyshire, and Yorkshire.

Some have the farm or stock breeder written on the side of the vehicles.

The butchers also use local abattoirs for there produce so unlike the supermarkets , Castle Market gets local farm goods.

Sheffield doesn't do farmers markets, unless it's a £5.00 anyone's guess burger from some fat Estonian guy in Fargate. Try Bakewell's farmer's market, on the last Saturday of the month. ;)

Fair point - there seems to be no middle ground between the posh Farmers Markets and the downmarket Castle Market crowd.

London shows that permanent "Markets" don't need to be 100% "downmarket" but things don't work that way in Sheffield

Castle Market does sell local produce just sit on the side of the spiral ramp that leads up to the loading bay and you will see lorry's and vans arriving every day from Lincolnshire , Derbyshire, and Yorkshire.

Some have the farm or stock breeder written on the side of the vehicles.

The butchers also use local abattoirs for there produce so unlike the supermarkets , Castle Market gets local farm goods.

You see, how come I do not know about this? They should really market and sell the brands. Cos really, everyone is so conscious of more sustainable local produces, and if anything is missing. Is really, how to get these kind of goods to those working professionals, or local independent restaurants to really connect the dots together.

I think to sustain the markets, the owners should consider some kind of after 6pm delivery slots or other. With the internet and so forth, it is pretty easy to put together the delivery plans per day.

THIS gets my goat. Who are those outrageous owners who tries to make a quick darn buck? Step aside! I have been to so many "Farmers' Market" everywhere in the country where I worked, and I see the farmer's really cooking their produce and taking pride in serving their stocks direct to the customers for decent feel good factor if anything. Really marketing their stuff ? At reasonable prices. It is only Sheffield that I see ridiculously expensive burgers which are not even great tasting. How ridiculous! How can you charge 5 pounds for a burger? Have you gone mad ? I do not mind if it is continental and you claim that you exported it here.

Meat is just meat. It is not even rare or award-winning meats either. How can people keep on marking up the original cost of the goods continuously such that it tops the local shop price? I rather grab a bunch of grass from Peace Garden and choke on that if I am desperate.

I thought that the whole point of these kind of markets are making contact with the customers directly, marketing your own brand. Selling at a reasonable, but good decent prices, probably lower than your shop prices for one-off trades or whatever. It draws the crowds in. Enjoy the atmospheres. Doing this again next time round to keep the reputation of these markets going. Boosts economies etc. Win win everywhere.

The council has provided a vehicle, but the right local producers are not stepping up, but conmen are everywhere!

its filthy dated and full of cheap tacky shops and attracts undesirables!![/quote.

it wouldn't be the same without cheap, tacky shops and undesirables. i wunt av it any other way

I am surprised to see this thread is still open.

Im surprised to see the Castle Market still open. Last time I went in there, KD Records was in the doorway:confused:

Much too young to remember it and the old Rag and Tag when they were in their prime.

No offence to you, but this is Sheffields problem, it's trapped in a rose-tinted past

What happened to the 1996 plans to re-develop the Sheaf market? :suspect:

Sheaf had construction quality problems from the day it opened. The main issue was the roof - it leaked continually, despite many attempts to rectify the problem, and money wasn't available for a full replacement. Pity, as I found it a much more pleasant place than Castle.

Sheaf had construction quality problems from the day it opened. The main issue was the roof - it leaked continually, despite many attempts to rectify the problem, and money wasn't available for a full replacement. Pity, as I found it a much more pleasant place than Castle.

I preferred it to Castle market as well. We would be in there all time visiting my uncle who worked for Pyramid Carpets. It had a much better market feel to it with a lot more range. The only downside to it was that it would take us 2 hours to walk through it due to my mother stopping at every bloody stall!

I got my ear pierced in Sheaf market (everyone did) when I was 14.

My mum went mad.

I got my ear pierced in Sheaf market (everyone did) when I was 14.

My mum went mad.

Haha! Me too. They made a right mess of it :hihi: I also bought a 50p chain and thought i was really cool.