Castle Market - It's ours, leave it alone!

Ok Einstein .here goes before the Barristers building and the posh hotels The Canal Basin [at least you give it its proper name]was a thriving area of Sheffield although mucky and rough and ready.

The basin was headquarters to numerous small to medium businesses and also a thriving boat yard [strange that int it for a canal basin] on top of these interesting workshops the basin was full to the brim with a mishmash of small to large canal going craft in various states of repair or disrepair.

Some of these owners were characters to say the least but they all had one thing in common a love of the Basin and its surrounding pubs and Markets.

Then the suits arrived cast there greedy eyes on this gem of a backdrop and bingo! Another Sheffield traditional scene was swept away in a fanfare of back slapping among the good and the great of our fair city .

And then the big time rip of merchants moved in and created the soulless aesthetic underused area we have today ,still this situation will all be solved when the last bastion of working class Sheffield has been demolished and the grand Castle has risen from the ruins and so linking up to the modern utopia of Victoria Quays!

Cheers .

Are you blind as well as terminally stupid? :roll: There are many narrow-boats/barges (whatever you call them) on the canal and believe it or not, there is a thriving boat community going on down there. Furthermore, if you opened your eyes, you would see there is still a boat yard there as well as a boat hotel and pleasure boat trips. Not only that, the canal towpath is frequented by 100s of walkers, cyclists and anglers.

If it wasn't for all of the above, the canal wouldn't exist. Simple! The great decline of the nation's canals started many years ago so you should be grateful the canal has a second life.

Edited by Agent Orange

Are you blind as well as terminally stupid? :roll: There are many narrow-boats/barges (whatever you call them) and believe it or not, there is a thriving boat community down there. Furthermore, if you opened your eyes, you would see there is still a boat yard down there as well as a boat hotel and pleasure boat trips. Not only that, the canal towpath is frequented by 100s of walkers, cyclists and anglers.

If it wasn't for all of the above, the canal wouldn't exist. Simple! The great decline of the nation's canals started many years ago and you should be grateful the canal has a second life.

Having spent a lot of time down there of late, attempting to buy a boat, there is quite a lot going on. You are correct about the boat yard, but there is a guy who lives on a boat there who is a master boat painter. There are businesses that appear to be doing well, hotel boats, a restaurant boat and last but not least Joe Scarborough who lives on a boat.

I work at the markets and the best thing for it is definitely to knock it down and start again.

Clearly this will be unpopular for a minority but there's no point in standing in the way of progress for the sake of nostalgia for what is now a poohole from 1960.

I find it ironic that people can oppose the regeneration of the markets but have no interest in the genuinely historic old town hall directly accross the road.

If it was knocked down it would also give less ammo to the likes of the cretin that wrote this

http://www.people.co.uk/news/politics/2011/07/03/sheffield-unemployment-takes-the-city-back-to-the-full-monty-102039-23243036/

I work at the markets and the best thing for it is definitely to knock it down and start again.

Clearly this will be unpopular for a minority but there's no point in standing in the way of progress for the sake of nostalgia for what is now a poohole from 1960.

I find it ironic that people can oppose the regeneration of the markets but have no interest in the genuinely historic old town hall directly accross the road.

If it was knocked down it would also give less ammo to the likes of the cretin that wrote this

http://www.people.co.uk/news/politics/2011/07/03/sheffield-unemployment-takes-the-city-back-to-the-full-monty-102039-23243036/

I agree with you, perhaps an empty store such as the Co-op or TJ Hughes (if it does close) could be used to house the stall holders until the market was re-built. I don't like the idea of it being on The Moor, it's currently in a cracking spot being so close to the Parkway.

As for the old town hall, just list it with tho old post office, god only knows what will happen to them.

Its the area that is the historical trading centre of Sheffield [eleventh century]

Exactly. When the present market is demolished.Perhaps the historic remains will

be available for us all to view rather than a part view that is only available to

private parties at the moment.

The basin was headquarters to numerous small to medium businesses and also a thriving boat yard [strange that int it for a canal basin] on top of these interesting workshops the basin was full to the brim with a mishmash of small to large canal going craft in various states of repair or disrepair.

Some of these owners were characters to say the least but they all had one thing in common a love of the Basin and its surrounding pubs and Markets.

Then the suits arrived cast there greedy eyes on this gem of a backdrop and bingo! .

A bit off the thread this, but there's a bit in between these two era's you left out. When it was deserted and derelict for a long time because the canal traffic shifted to the road. Others may say the 'suits' had the vision to save it and resurrect it.

Where do you get your figures from in your post saying that 90% of people who'd like to see a change in the area are not from Sheffield? Or if they are, are from 3 or 4 random areas you mention?

How can we analyse accuratley stuff you've entirely made up? If your figures are not some random, entirely guessed numbers, where did you get them from?

If you take time to re-read the post you question you will see that I quipped ' I bet' - 'I BET' is not fact it's a proposed wager, so therefore people do not need to 'acurately anaylyse' stuff that I haven't even made up :roll:

Hmm I remember rag and tag too, but I actually quite like Castle Market as it is.

A bit off the thread this, but there's a bit in between these two era's you left out. When it was deserted and derelict for a long time because the canal traffic shifted to the road. Others may say the 'suits' had the vision to save it and resurrect it.

The canal traffic did not shift to the roads it moved to the railways and then years later to the roads [this policy was rather for sited due to the fuel and environmental situation today maybe they will have to be brought back into service again].

The Canal Basin was never deserted after the canal traffic to Sheffield ceased in fact the place was packed as i have explained in the previous post .

The fact is the traditional scene that existed down there was destroyed so as the big time Charley,s could move in and enjoy a nice view from there office windows .

Hmm I remember rag and tag too, but I actually quite like Castle Market as it is.

A proper Sheffielder i presume.

The canal traffic did not shift to the roads it moved to the railways and then years later to the roads [this policy was rather for sited due to the fuel and environmental situation today maybe they will have to be brought back into service again].

The Canal Basin was never deserted after the canal traffic to Sheffield ceased in fact the place was packed as i have explained in the previous post .

The fact is the traditional scene that existed down there was destroyed so as the big time Charley,s could move in and enjoy a nice view from there office windows .

ah so you want it back like this

http://www.nichefoto.com/preview/2009/05/16/sheffield_canal_basin_before_renovation_park_hill_flats_avidimages_3841_prev.jpg

that makes perfect sense I mean look at it the place is bustling!

Edited by damo