Does anyone remember anything about Attercliffe Baths?

Threads merged. Please use the search facility before starting new threads

I learn to swim there and my mum was a cleaner at attercliffe swimming baths I also knew the caretaker steward his ex wife Jean and his Daughter Margaret used go at there home when I was a kid steward knew my mum and dad also had a kitten from them as well

Hi 11 plus did u go to newhall school i lived just off don rd on don place good days

Hi Jamestee, I also went to Att.Baths but got a veruca so was stopped,disease prevention!! By the time it had healed swimming lessons were no longer provided by Newhall Junior School.I recall slipper baths but I lived in one of only 8 houses in the whole of Attercliffe that had indoor bathroom and toilet - LUXURY. (On Don Rd.)

Any one remember buying 'penny loaves' from a shop on Attercliffe Common just to the right of Newhall Rd.top as you look from the baths?

My fear of swimming lasted till I was 29 but I did learn then. Still petrified of water though!

remember miniature brown hovis

I used to go for swimming lessons there with school (Athelstan primary - mid to late 70's) and with my Mum. Went for ages, swimming teacher (Mr Lyons?) failed to teach me to swim but my mum learned by watching me. Ace crisp machine in the entrance, used to sell these:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3075/2831978790_2c69e3dd71.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.flickriver.com/photos/rollthedice/2831978790/&h=351&w=500&sz=217&tbnid=U53co8BS62WlCM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=128&zoom=1&usg=__tYCaQnQNYax-ffJMWCn_Jot9r_4=&docid=TiaS69OXBBMKSM&sa=X&ei=X0BwUqWXFa3b7Ab56YDADA&ved=0CDQQ9QEwAg

Can taste the crisps and smell the chlorine.

bx

This is where I first had swimming lessons.

I am trying to remember more about the building as I can barely remember anything about it. I vision cubicals on the left hand side as you walk into the pool area and the shallow end been at the far end. Was there anything else distinguishable about the building.

I used to go every week in the evening on Hamptons swim night run by Alf Downing.The baths were run by Mr.Parker and then by a bloke called Drinkwater.After swimming we would either have hot Horlicks or hot orange juice.Then chips and a fishcake from the Bridge chip shop.Happy days.

there is a group on Facebook

Darnall & Attercliffe, back in the good old days, a trip down memory lane .....

They have an album of (12) pics of the inside of Attercliffe baths ......

Hi Jamestee, I also went to Att.Baths but got a veruca so was stopped,disease prevention!! By the time it had healed swimming lessons were no longer provided by Newhall Junior School.I recall slipper baths but I lived in one of only 8 houses in the whole of Attercliffe that had indoor bathroom and toilet - LUXURY. (On Don Rd.)

Any one remember buying 'penny loaves' from a shop on Attercliffe Common just to the right of Newhall Rd.top as you look from the baths?

My fear of swimming lasted till I was 29 but I did learn then. Still petrified of water though!

Hi 11plus. My dad taught me to swim at Attercliffe Baths. He worked at Metro Vicks and their sports club rented the baths every Wednesday night for a couple of hours. That was around 1953 and once I could swim I spent many happy hours in that pool and diving from the boards. From memory I think there were changing cubicles along both sides of the pool, one side for girls and the other for boys. There was also a slipper bath and shower to use before going into the pool. I remember finding a piece of broken glass, from the roof, on the bottom of the pool one day. I placed it on the side of the pool and as I raised myself out the glass sliced into my thigh. Mr Parker treated my wound at the time and I now have a 3inch scar to remind me of the event. Never the less I have always enjoyed swimming and love anything involving the water, except maybe fishing. I much prefer to observe fish in their own environment. I also went to Newhall Road school from 1952 to 1957 then on to Hatfield House Lane. I lived in Pelham Street opposite the bottom of Paget Steet until 1964.

Cheers wombatc

Saw somebody mention St Charles on here. I was at that school and we also went to Attercliffe baths in the late 60s to early 70s. I had private lessons there with Mr Mettam.

Also went Saturday mornings and if you got picked to clean the pool at the end of a session you got to stay in. Great job using a bowl of soapy looking stuff and what looked like a brillo pad to scrape the scum from round the edges. Make me wonder why I'd ever go back in the water.

had to learn to swim ,as my brother found out the hard way you cant walk under water,burried in tinsley 1951, RIP ERIC

Attercliffe bath building still there but I believe it's now offices