Does anyone remember anything about Attercliffe Baths?

I used to go attercliffe baths first to have a hot bath there .they called them the slipper baths then. Later tried to learn to swim there. It used to cost us tuppence and a bath ticket. Best part of all this was to get the (pie and peas) we were treat to when we came out.

Regards vera

Hi again Vera - Hope you're doing ok. I remember the bath tickets, they were on a card and you you just tore along the perforated edge to remove one. I got mine at Huntsmans Gardens School as I suspect you did. They were a yellowish colour and had the word scholar on each one. Used to go every saturday morning and yes it was tuppence when I used to go in the late 1950's. Did you have to endure school swimming lessons with that creep called Parkin? Used to prod you with what looked like a boat hook to get you in to the deep end. My older brother ended up talking to him with his hands! Don't remember the pie and peas though - we used to go the pikelet shop on Worksop Road, next to the Brittania pub and just down from Tabers paper shop.

i used the baths in the 70s i remember it being a small pool not a full size one

Does anyone remember having to travel to Attercliffe for cookery classes.

Very old lady teacher,had trouble with vert naughty kids,including me.

This is where I first had swimming lessons.

I am trying to remember more about the building as I can barely remember anything about it. I vision cubicals on the left hand side as you walk into the pool area and the shallow end been at the far end. Was there anything else distinguishable about the building.

Yes I remember the baths . I spent many happy hours there as a kid and later when i was working I used to call in to use the (slipper baths) up stairs. It saved me fetching the tin bath from the top of our yard.

Hi lickszz used to go there myself when i was a kid.many happy memories.the attendant was a little guy called Mr Parker,bit of a tyrant.If you go to SHEFFIELD LIBRARIES PICTURES you can find a photo of the pool area and the slipper baths.

Hi lickszz .used to go there myself when i was a kid.the attendant was called Mr Parker,a bit of a tyrant.If you go to Library Services Picture Sheffield.com you will find a photo of the pool area and the slipper baths

glad all the memory's are coming out good and bad. l was forced to swim there. then later married the caretaker of the baths changed my jobs to work there thinking that it was a dream job mind you it was in the late 70's. the life of ATTERCLIFFE was swinging with life in all area's the steel works the gipsy's camps all the back to back housing, all the gone now. cockroach's used to go from the grayhound pub to the baths for the warmth god the thought of them things still cant walk about in the dark now

Edited by magjam15

My Mum took me swimming every Saturday at Attercliffe baths. We used to walk down at 6 in the morning so there was hardly anyone in the water so she could swim with her glasses on safely. She was as blind as a bat without them!

We had a mug of oxo at the baths afterwards and a packet of potato puffs (can't get them now! )

We used to walk back and buy big flat mushrooms from the barrow outside Banners for a bacon and mushroom breadcake when we got home. LOVELY!

we were the last family to move off brightside we didnt have a bathroom just a tin bath so i had to use attercliff slipper baths for a shower or a bath u got one small bar of soap and a satchet of shampoo sixteen years before that i learnt to swim there with newhall school those were the days lol

Hi again Vera - Hope you're doing ok. I remember the bath tickets, they were on a card and you you just tore along the perforated edge to remove one. I got mine at Huntsmans Gardens School as I suspect you did. They were a yellowish colour and had the word scholar on each one. Used to go every saturday morning and yes it was tuppence when I used to go in the late 1950's. Did you have to endure school swimming lessons with that creep called Parkin? Used to prod you with what looked like a boat hook to get you in to the deep end. My older brother ended up talking to him with his hands! Don't remember the pie and peas though - we used to go the pikelet shop on Worksop Road, next to the Brittania pub and just down from Tabers paper shop.

Hi Vera, I remember Parkin and his hook, After swimming we used to go to a shop of atterclif road and buy a stale bread cake and then to a chip shop on Atercl;if road and buy broken crisps costing altogether 2d

Our junior school used to take us there to learn to swim..