Does anyone remember anything about Attercliffe Baths?

This is where I first had swimming lessons.

I am trying to remember more about the building as I can barely remember anything about it. I vision cubicals on the left hand side as you walk into the pool area and the shallow end been at the far end. Was there anything else distinguishable about the building.

yes, I can remember the upstairs where we went as kids for a bath in a "real bath". A white one with lots of hot water. It was a luxery in those days from the old tin tub in the front room....Toms

I remember Attercliffe Baths, but not a happy memory.

That was where Woodhouse Grammar teachers FAILED MISERABLY to teach me to swim. If they are still standing(are they?), you can probably still see my finger marks in the tiles on the edge of the bath, 45 years later!

Oh, I still cannot swim.:mad:

I learnt to swim pretty quick after being thrown in the deep end at Heeley baths....about 1948. One of the lads who threw me in told me swimming was instinctive; "you don't think about it - you do it"

Lucky for me he was right :loopy:

Originally posted by Greybeard

I learnt to swim pretty quick after being thrown in the deep end at Heeley baths....about 1948. One of the lads who threw me in told me swimming was instinctive; "you don't think about it - you do it"

Lucky for me he was right :loopy:

I've heard that is a old fashioned proven method. I remember someone told me that is what they did on your first swimming lesson, I almost worried myself sick at the thought of it.

My office is in the old baths now called the gateway business centre, i used to swim there too along with all the cockroaches...yuck!

It was strange going back there to set up our office, there is still the origianal stair case and the glass middle in the roof.

I used to go attercliffe baths first to have a hot bath there .they called them the slipper baths then. Later tried to learn to swim there. It used to cost us tuppence and a bath ticket. Best part of all this was to get the (pie and peas) we were treat to when we came out.

Regards vera

Has anyone been to the old Glossop road baths since part of it is a health spa, I have it still has the original tiles, its great, well worth treating yourself if you like relaxing.

I remember attercliffe bath's very well Iwas awarded a free pass twice when I was at Coleridge road school and I used to go there every day and " Harry" the bath attendant had me cleaning the bath walls where the scum at water level built up

In return he used to let me stay in the baths as long as I wanted AND he let me have the key for the hot water baths on the left hand side as you went in

When I worked in the steelworks a group of us used to go for a swim early before starting work on a Saturday morning.

We would all race up and down the bath, shower off, then head to the sandwich shop to get a hot breakfast asndwich before we started work.

Happy Days!

Our office was in the old Attercliffe baths, it was so strange being in there, you can still use the actual stairs and the glass roof that went down the middle is still in tact.

I learnt to swim there too, along with some **** roaches, yuk!

I went to Limpsfield school and they used to take us there every week, so lucky............

I remember going to Attercliffe baths, but not a happy memory as I got shoved in and almost drowned. Needless to say I still can't swim. Love to go in the water but afraid to let my feet leave the bottom, thanks to whoever it was that pushed me in!