Big fat gypsy weddings

its a great show and so much of their lifestyle we could learn from

Really?? Which bit??

I have to disagree. One can judge their culture without being prejudiced against them, and that aspect I found appaling. A girl can be dragged away to a quiet corner and have her arm twisted, literally, until she either gives in or fights him off. You can't find that decent, surely?

It was even a factor when they were talking about the husbands that they would like. "I want someone who doesn't hit me," they said. That'll be a bonus when their courtship is so brutal.

All in all I found their culture fascinating. They use lavish displays of wealth because they are outsiders, I guess. They don't want to be looked down on so they show with brute force that they are "worth" something. The little girl going to her first Holy Communion in a dress weighing twice her own body-weight is odd to our mainstream culture. A little girl can be a Princess without pulling such a burden across a church.

As an aside, Swanlee was a big old lad. If he says it's Tuesday then it's Tuesday. :)

I dont find it decent - but its how they 'work'. Maybe i'm biased, alot of my family are irish travellers. I just think, the thread was originallly posted out of pure ignorance to their culture. I dont like, personally, that 95% of the females bring up the family, cook, clean etc but I dont like families that sprog kid after kid and neither of them work. Atleast, the men work and bring in an income within this community. I've been brought up to never rely on anyone, youre in it for yourself in this world and thats why I juggle a family, a home and 3 part time jobs. But those in this programme have been brought up that they are grabbed, they get married young, they have kids and their husbands work. Its just different cultures.

I dont find it decent - but its how they 'work'. Maybe i'm biased, alot of my family are irish travellers. I just think, the thread was originallly posted out of pure ignorance to their culture. I dont like, personally, that 95% of the females bring up the family, cook, clean etc but I dont like families that sprog kid after kid and neither of them work. Atleast, the men work and bring in an income within this community. I've been brought up to never rely on anyone, youre in it for yourself in this world and thats why I juggle a family, a home and 3 part time jobs. But those in this programme have been brought up that they are grabbed, they get married young, they have kids and their husbands work. Its just different cultures.

If your daughter told you that a lad had forced a kiss on her by twisting her arm up her back, would you be ok with that?

If your daughter told you that a lad had forced a kiss on her by twisting her arm up her back, would you be ok with that?

No, certainly not. But if I had been brought up as a traveller, then I would probably have different views. Simple thing is, i'm not within the traveller community, and have been brought up living (whats normal to me) a life that i'm so far content with. If a lad had done that to me, i'd have probably headbutted him and knocked him one in his manhood because all I know is that 'its wrong' whereas the gypsy girls on the other hand, all they know is thats 'grabbing' and its a sign of affection (apparantly...). As I put, I dont agree with it. But, its just how gypsies live. To them, its about keeping their culture alive and traditions going.

No, certainly not. But if I had been brought up as a traveller, then I would probably have different views. Simple thing is, i'm not within the traveller community, and have been brought up living (whats normal to me) a life that i'm so far content with. If a lad had done that to me, i'd have probably headbutted him and knocked him one in his manhood because all I know is that 'its wrong' whereas the gypsy girls on the other hand, all they know is thats 'grabbing' and its a sign of affection (apparantly...). As I put, I dont agree with it. But, its just how gypsies live. To them, its about keeping their culture alive and traditions going.

And 'female circumcision' is traditional in some communities but it does not mean we should allow it on our doorstep.

Does a young girl from a gypsy community, not deserve the same protection as your daughter?

And 'female circumcision' is traditional in some communities but it does not mean we should allow it on our doorstep.

Does a young girl from a gypsy community, not deserve the same protection as your daughter?

Obviously, everyone deserves the right to the same protection in this country. Which means that once that girl is 16, she can make a break. She can go and not follow the tradition. Just as say any religious family, once their child hits a certain age they can 'run away' and make their break. There are plenty of support services available to young people regardless of how they were brought up. Its widely known that there are, and yes, including in the travelling world its known. So, theyre not as such held against their will or anything, there are means and ways for everyone to live a happier life (if they feel their life is pretty much anything other than happy).

What saddens me is the amount of time and money wasted in local councils finding places for traveller children in secondary schools, only to see them not turn up. And the costs of the social workers who have to chase up the cases.

Didnt the girl who was getting wed look elegant in that dress with the piece cut out at the front, she couldnt walk for tripping over the material as she was coming out of the church and when she was trying to sit at the table for the reception her gusset was on display.. classy

well, jordan, there's nothing like showing a bit of gusset, to show how classy you are!

(did anyone else think the little girl's pink communion dress looked more like Katie Price's wedding dress, than "Coming to America"?)

I missed this. I'm just off to watch it now.

I went to Stow Horse Fair five years ago which is second only to Appleby in the gypsy calendar and it was a revelation. I never realised gypsy culture was so different until that day. I'd recommend a trip to a gypsy fair to anyone.

well, jordan, there's nothing like showing a bit of gusset, to show how classy you are!

(did anyone else think the little girl's pink communion dress looked more like Katie Price's wedding dress, than "Coming to America"?)

Did you notice how difficult she found to walk in that communian dress, I kept thinking she was going to fall over.

Did you notice how difficult she found to walk in that communian dress, I kept thinking she was going to fall over.

Oh I certainly did. I also saw how her princess crown kept dropping over her poor little eyes, and half-blinding her... :(

What is it they say about "Money can't buy taste?"