Wedding Insurance / Liability

Ive read bits about this online and on these forums but I want basic clarification!

1. Im photographing a wedding for someone i know at Waterton Park in Wakey! Would you suggest I get insurance/liability insurance or is up to the B&G to liase with the venue holder?

2. How much will it cost and what does it cover?

3. Do i really need it - is it worth the risk??

4. Do i need to just run up an agreement with them if anything was to go wrong, just so they dont sue or anything daft or if my camera breaks or malfunctions!

clear answer please

You must get public liability insurance and it would be good to also get all your gear covered.

Mine is through AXA and it costs me about £250 per year. It covers up to £10,000 of equipment and 2 Million pounds public liability.

As far as I know this is fairly standard. You really should investigate this sort of thing before you agree to shoot a wedding. It isn't just the bride and groom who may sue you if something went wrong, it could be guests, venues, etc etc.

ok wel like i say im doing this not as a business!

I would look to get the insurance for the one off day and to cover myself! We have written up an agreement about stuff like this and both parties are happy to proceed!

most people i know who do this as small favours, dont have insurance but i was just asking for suggestion more than advice!

ok wel like i say im doing this not as a business!
Obviously!

I would look to get the insurance for the one off day and to cover myself! We have written up an agreement about stuff like this and both parties are happy to proceed!

most people i know who do this as small favours, dont have insurance but i was just asking for suggestion more than advice!

And the difference beyween suggestions and advice..?

One of the reasons professionals charge more money than a mate doing someone a favour is that they are properly covered by things like insurance. Not having insurance can cost you a fortune if things go wrong. And anyone using someone without correct insurance is taking a big chance.

Also I'd imagine it'd be more expensive for you to get cover than an experienced professional photographer.

but like i say, im an amateur photographer not doing this for a living, meerly shooting to document a wedding! im not doing the full monty style!

Uh and what, you expect to get cheaper insurance despite being a much higher risk?

And seeing by other posts you've made, you don't actually know much about photography, so the chances are you are going to struggle to do a good job.

Unless the bride and groom sign a waiver saying they do not mind if you mess things up, you need to get covered properly or let someone who actually knows what they are doing. Unless you don't mind risking your messing up the big day and also being sued for lots of money by the B+G>

To go back to original post

Ive read bits about this online and on these forums but I want basic clarification!

1. Im photographing a wedding for someone i know at Waterton Park in Wakey! Would you suggest I get insurance/liability insurance or is up to the B&G to liase with the venue holder?

Without doubt.

Speak to an insurance broker.

Yes you do need it.

Yes you do need it.

Yes you do need it.

Yes you do need it.Yes you do need it.Yes you do need it!

4. Do i need to just run up an agreement with them if anything was to go wrong, just so they dont sue or anything daft or if my camera breaks or malfunctions!
Only a complete idiot would hire an inexperienced photographer who doesn't want to pay for proper insurance and thenasks the B+G to sign an agreement so if he kills the parents and ruins the photos he won't be liable.

Are the couple braindead? If so they may sign the waiver.

clear answer please
Clear enough?

clear answer please

1. Yes. It's a requirement at many venues - for a good reason. If you're charging your batteries and someone trips on a lead, or you put your bag down and it causes someone to fall then you'll find yourself receiving a solicitors letter. Who's going to pay the costly legal fees and settlement?

You could also drop your sole camera the day before the wedding and need to rent a new one afterwards. Your insurance will cover the cost.

If you screw-up (and being your first ever wedding, it very well could!) then the B&G can sue you. Who's going to cover the legal fees and damages? Happened recently to a photographer and the B&G won a large settlement.

2. All insurance varies. Aduki do photographer's insurance as well as the ones already mentioned.

3. It's £250-400 a year that will cover your public liability, cameras, PC/Mac, accessories, etc... Yes, it's worth it.

4. Have you had them sign a contract? Most contracts that a B&G will normally sign contain a section that says "I'm not at fault, blah blah blah, for camera failure, crap photos, etc... or if someone falls over my light-stand or tripod" but strictly speaking (legally) they can still sue if you screw up.

4. Have you had them sign a contract? Most contracts that a B&G will normally sign contain a section that says "I'm not at fault, blah blah blah, for camera failure, crap photos, etc... or if someone falls over my light-stand or tripod" but strictly speaking (legally) they can still sue if you screw up.

Birkdale - very importantly, you cannot disclaim responsibility. If you do something wrong, it is still your fault, otherwise everyone would simply discliam liability and no-one would ever have any comeback. As that obviously is not the case, you need insurance.

jezzyjj i dont like your attitude towards me! say what you want about me but at end of the day patronising people when asking questions is dam right rude!!

i refuse to ask on here anymore with people like yourself! others have answered fully to their knowledge! idiot!!!

I was not being patronising. But if you take it that way and also think others giving useful advice are being aggressive, so be it - that's your problem not ours.

BTW a quick tip - way people skills are a very important part of photography - particularly weddings.