Equita Bailiffs (The Sheffield City Council)

There used to be a TV progamme on Bailiffs - hated watching it but they even used to put their foot in the door once you had opened it to stop you closing it, go around the house looking for windows on the latch and climb in etc. Every time they visited a property they would add charges. These were the Bailiffs where the debt is what they have bought so they will do everything to get their money back - best thing is to try to sort out the debt with the company you owed to in the first place before it is passed on - hope all goes ok.

If they don't have to force entry they can

No they can't

Yes they can. If they come across your house and the door is unlocked or open they can enter and remove goods. They probably won't but they can

Yes they can

- SOURCE

As I stated before and will repeat they cannot just walk in to your property if you haven't already let them in apologies that you're all finding that hard to understand.

And before anyone decides to be pedantic how many people leave their doors wide open?

Thanks for misquoting me, read the above, they were posted in that order.

So just to clarify, if they don't have to force entry - THEY CAN enter and remove goods.

Thank You.

Bailiffs can only enter your property 'peacefully'. This means no barging passed you, no foot in the door, no breaking in etc. If however you let the bailiff in then he then can access your property at any time. If he does a walking possession order. He will list your goods, give you a copy then give you a date in which you have to pay or they will enter your property and seize the goods. They can also put a walking possession order on any vehicles parked outside, it is then up to you to prove that the vehicle is not yours. Under no circumstances should you let a bailiff into your house, and they will try and trick you with things like 'can I use your loo' etc.

Contact the council, tell them your situation and they might let you return to paying them. If that fails then just pay the council anyway and don't talk to the bailiffs at all. Ever! They will eventually give up and pass your account back to the council.

Had a visit from the baliffs( named above) in respect of outstanding council tax. They left a letter advising they had come to remove goods to cover the debt of about £400.

As anyone had a simular experience, and what rights do they actually have ?

I am willing to pay the money, but recently made redundent so got a little bit behind.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

dont open the door to them dont have any contact with them at all they have no powers at all apart from pestering you and dont be intimidated all they do is make money of poor people like all dept chases the last government stopt a lot of these shark type firms .ps talk to the council they are usually o/k.

Thanks for misquoting me, read the above, they were posted in that order.

So just to clarify, if they don't have to force entry - THEY CAN enter and remove goods.

Thank You.

I didn't misquote you at all

You responded agreeing with others that bailiffs can enter your property whenever they feel like it.

As I stated before which people seem unable to understand they can only re-enter if you've already invited them in on a previous visit.

Sorry if people are too stupid to understand that.

If they don't have to force entry they can

No they can't

Yes they can

- SOURCE

I didn't misquote you at all

You responded agreeing with others that bailiffs can enter your property whenever they feel like it.

As I stated before which people seem unable to understand they can only re-enter if you've already invited them in on a previous visit.

Sorry if people are too stupid to understand that.

Cool it with the insults already...

You did misquote me, because I agreed with discodown that they can if they don't have to force entry. - please see above quotes from this thread.

I apologise if some people are too stupid to understand that.

Thank you.

That is all.

Cool it with the insults already...

You did misquote me, because I agreed with discodown that they can if they don't have to force entry. - please see above quotes from this thread.

I apologise if some people are too stupid to understand that.

Thank you.

That is all.

I love a good quote.

just had a letter handed to me says they have right tocome in at any time to take things

asked me to phone at 3.30 pm but after 6 phones call only answer phone

never came in the house i informed them going to pay it all on 15th dont have any cash till then

says ring me

letter says

BAILFF REMOVAL

PAYMENT DUE IN FULL 24 HOURS

i have attended today with intention of removing your goods and chattels as are

necessary to discharge the outstanding council tax liability order and any additional

ENFORCEMENT COSTS incurred

PLEASE NOTE - NO FURTHER ARRANGEMENTS ARE ACCEPTABLE and PAYMENT IS NOW required in full by CLEAR FUNDS ONLY

i will re-attend at your address with immediate effect and may REMOVE goods even in your absence . should you wish to avoid this distressing course of action,contact me immediately on the phone number below to arrange promt payment of your debt

NO CONTACT WILL BE TAKEN AS YOUR REFUSAL TO PAY

BAILIFF IN CHARGE ---------------

PHONE ----------------

IF PAYING BY DEBIT CARD THEY WILL BEA CHARGE

Handed to you where, exactly?

Also, when were you summonsed to attend court and why did you not go? (If the answer is "I know nothing about any court case" then the bailiffs have no rights whatsoever because the council isn't allowed to send them yet!)

just had a letter handed to me says they have right tocome in at any time to take things

asked me to phone at 3.30 pm but after 6 phones call only answer phone

never came in the house i informed them going to pay it all on 15th dont have any cash till then

says ring me

letter says

BAILFF REMOVAL

PAYMENT DUE IN FULL 24 HOURS

i have attended today with intention of removing your goods and chattels as are

necessary to discharge the outstanding council tax liability order and any additional

ENFORCEMENT COSTS incurred

PLEASE NOTE - NO FURTHER ARRANGEMENTS ARE ACCEPTABLE and PAYMENT IS NOW required in full by CLEAR FUNDS ONLY

i will re-attend at your address with immediate effect and may REMOVE goods even in your absence . should you wish to avoid this distressing course of action,contact me immediately on the phone number below to arrange promt payment of your debt

NO CONTACT WILL BE TAKEN AS YOUR REFUSAL TO PAY

BAILIFF IN CHARGE ---------------

PHONE ----------------

IF PAYING BY DEBIT CARD THEY WILL BEA CHARGE

I have also received one of these letters, I have phoned "Bailiff in charge" countless times, he is either "busy dealing with something and will call me back", "with a client and can I call him back later on" or his phone just rings until answer phone, I have left various messages with my contact details. I have tried to call the Equita office, but you have a Bailiff ref no and PIN no you need to input into automated call system, this just says "Your case has been passed onto our bailiff.Mr ****** and his number is ********" aaarrgghhh.

headingnorth was handed to me on doorstep we have been paying monthly but got behind on last months payment so was going to pay the amount we owe of on 15th when i get paid

i had the same letter. the baillif came out, we agreed to pay £50 week, payed for 8 weeks. then the bailiff stopped answering the phone, when i called the office they said they could not discuss it and we needed to talk to the bailliff, how can i do that when he won't pick the phone up.aaarrraaaggghhhh. then i recieved a letter that they will come and take goods, called the office again, they said it had been passed to someone else. so called the other guy, who said he was busy and will call back.

second day he was knocking on the door. we said we are prepared to pay the installments and don't know whats happened.

I am so stressed and angry, i'm prepared to pay, but they want the whole lot or remove goods. the company is rude and comunication is crap. all they do is keep added fees on, how the hell can you clear the debt if they keep adding on to it. please someone any advise.