Rollerskating at Ponds Forge this evening Wed 19-1-2011

Just wondered if anyone could tell me what sport/activity about 20 girls were undertaking at Ponds Forge this evening.

Between about 7pm and 9pm a group of 20 girls on rollerskates were in one section of the sports hall. They were dressed in what appeared to be a team kit/uniform. After their warm up, they appeared to split into two teams, one wearing bibs, and started skating round in a huge circle.

Then, they started barging into each other, knocking each other onto the fall, a lot of shouting, handing hands to make a human chain, trying to get past each other etc etc. It reminded me of the film Rollerball, looked quite rough but there was no ball or similar being used?

Really intrigued what sport this is called? Never seen anything like it before?

If you were one of the girls or now about this id really like to find out what it was? Thanks

I think they were probably training for roller derby, not commonly known but there are quite a few competitions that go on but most people do it just as a hobby.

Just wondered if anyone could tell me what sport/activity about 20 girls were undertaking at Ponds Forge this evening.

Between about 7pm and 9pm a group of 20 girls on rollerskates were in one section of the sports hall. They were dressed in what appeared to be a team kit/uniform. After their warm up, they appeared to split into two teams, one wearing bibs, and started skating round in a huge circle.

Then, they started barging into each other, knocking each other onto the fall, a lot of shouting, handing hands to make a human chain, trying to get past each other etc etc. It reminded me of the film Rollerball, looked quite rough but there was no ball or similar being used?

Really intrigued what sport this is called? Never seen anything like it before?

If you were one of the girls or now about this id really like to find out what it was? Thanks

http://www.facebook.com/SheffieldSteelRollergirls

Check out the link, a couple of my friends are in the team, assume this is what you're on about

souds like the roller derby team to me.

So are we talking the real sport as it once was or the horrid thing it has now become where it is as real as WWF?

They've got a bout on Jan 29th at Ponds Forge. I think there's a men's bout as well.

So are we talking the real sport as it once was or the horrid thing it has now become where it is as real as WWF?

They definitely play for real! The fake spectacle style roller derby on a banked track pretty much died out in the 1980s, and the modern flat track style is a proper competitive sport (although great fun to watch, too :))

They definitely play for real! The fake spectacle style roller derby on a banked track pretty much died out in the 1980s, and the modern flat track style is a proper competitive sport (although great fun to watch, too :))

Jolly good! I caught what seems to pass for Roller Derby on Bravo or such a while back and it made me cringe how it had become :(

yep its the sheffield steel roller girls, they practice there every week, the second home match is on the 29th which does feature a mens bout too, great game to watch and is slowly getting the notice it deserves.

get yourselves down, its not as violent as it used to be, my 9yr old girl loves it.

yep its the sheffield steel roller girls, they practice there every week, the second home match is on the 29th which does feature a mens bout too, great game to watch and is slowly getting the notice it deserves.

get yourselves down, its not as violent as it used to be, my 9yr old girl loves it.

Some really hot girls playing it too. Might start coming to watch! Loads of ye girls had awesome tattoo's aswell

Im one of the skaters, we have 3 training sessions a week at various locations and gave 8 games lined up this year, 4 of them home games. Our first one this year is next saturday (29th) at ponds forge doors open at 12.30. Tickets are available at http://www.sheffieldsteelrollergirls.co.uk. Its gonna be a lot of fun! bring your cheering heads! there is also a free after party at penelopies too.

Miss D x