Which car do you recommend?

I'm going to look for a car today... finally... after being driving my mum's for a year! I'm going to Dixons at the bottom of Granville Road (please no one say anything bad about it as I'll cry!) Just wondered if anyone has any ideas as to what I should get? I don't want anything that's too big, I learnt to drive in a new shaped Fiesta and my mum's is an astra 1.6. Maybe a Saxo, Fiesta, Peugot 206 etc would be ideal? I think I'd rather have 5 doors as I'll be doing Steelers away games with friends so they need to fit in, and not break their backs on the way out. It also needs to have enough room for 2 kids under 3 so needs room for a buggy. I want it to lock when I press a button too! LOL.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Chloé

Toyota Yaris is a nice car.

Good luck, and forwarn me when your about to venture out.:D

How rude! :P

I'm a good driver! Been driving a year now. Passed first time too!

Chloé

Is it going to be new or used?

If its going to be used, I'd avoid anything French such as Citroen's and Peugeots as they aren't known for there longevity, your best bet as a used car would probably be a Toyota Yaris, as its quite a good size, reliable and well equipped.

New cars on the otherhand come with long warranties, so a 206 (especially the deals regarding free insurance and 0% finance) is good, the Fiesta is also an option although higher up the range they can get a little pricey. I would avoid the Saxo with a passion, it has been replaced by the C2 which is a nice car and you can get its bigger brother (the C3) on a good deal. Depending on how much cash you've got, I would look at anything Japanese such as the Honda Jazz, the Yaris, the Mazda 2 and the Micra, as they are all excellent cars, which go for ever and are well built and well equipped, plus you can get good deals on a lot of them at the moment.

If Dixon can't help try Autoworld and GK on Saville Street aswell as the Vauxhall garage, beyond that try Direct Cars as they are good value (out near Crystal Peaks).

Good luck

I am buying a new car too. I have just been to look at my lovely yummy black shiny beetle. Robbie does not want me to buy it but I am. I think you should buy a car that makes you happy Chloe. I bought a corsa for some of the reasons you mentioned and I have never been 100% happy about it. Buy one that makes you smile :D

Originally posted by jayjay03

If its going to be used, I'd avoid anything French such as Citroen's and Peugeots as they aren't known for there longevity ...

Good luck

Peugots aren't known for their longevity - in my forty-eight years of driving experience, I've found quite the opposite. I have a K reg 106, still as good as new - and very 'drivable' and economical. The 404 was known as the 'Africa' car FOR it's reliabilty and comparatively high wheel-base.

Originally posted by jayjay03

If its going to be used, I'd avoid anything French such as Citroen's and Peugeots as they aren't known for there longevity, your best bet as a used car would probably be a Toyota Yaris, as its quite a good size, reliable and well equipped.

I had a Citroen through work. It did 102,000 miles before we sold it to a neighbouring company, it's still going strong. All it ever needed were two sets of tyres, and it's regular servicing.

We went to Dixons, saw some lovely cars, with some lovely prices... lol! I did see 2 fiestas that caught my eye. Both S reg, one had 5 doors, the other 3. I like the 3 door one better. Also saw a nice T reg Daewoo Laton (?) that was really cheap but the milage was 85,000!!

I could have bought a car a long time ago really, it's just the insurance. After phoning round, the dearest one for me (being under 21) was £3000 and the cheapest being £1100. While we're here, anyone recommend any good insurance places?? The cheapest one for me up to now has been Tesco.

Chloé

Hi Chloe, I bought a Skoda diesel saloon and its turned out to be a fantastic car, loads of mpg and a roomy car. My daughter was so impressed she bought the petrol version and thinks its terrific......Toms

Originally posted by Chloe

We went to Dixons, saw some lovely cars, with some lovely prices... lol! I did see 2 fiestas that caught my eye. Both S reg, one had 5 doors, the other 3. I like the 3 door one better. Also saw a nice T reg Daewoo Laton (?) that was really cheap but the milage was 85,000!!

I could have bought a car a long time ago really, it's just the insurance. After phoning round, the dearest one for me (being under 21) was £3000 and the cheapest being £1100. While we're here, anyone recommend any good insurance places?? The cheapest one for me up to now has been Tesco.

Chloé

There us a company that deal with women only its called Diamond their number is 0800 36 24 36 they are open from Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm and Saturday/Sunday 10am to 4pm and their website is http://www.diamond.uk.com/

Insurance is the frightening bit as you are so young.

Whatever car you get it will cost you an arm and leg in insurance costs so you might consider running it through your fathers insurance, if he will let you that is.

I would be interested in quotions you have if its not personal so i could get an idea for my own son who is thinking of driving.

I,m sure when he see's your quote he might think again.

Good luck with your car Chloe whatever you may get.