Staffies in Sheffield

we've got a rescued australian staffie, she's brilliant.

She's the softest, dopiest dog you could meet, but like someone said earlier, so so clever.

We took her to the park the other day and a gorgeous, massive alsation that had just been bred so as the owner put it, he thought he owned every bitch, ran up to her and she just carried on walking, ignoring him lol.

I totally agree with what some people have said about staffies being a trophy dog to people, but it's just certain people.

A lot of lads walk around with staffies that happen to be the family pet, doesn't mean he's taking it down to the local primary school to eat the kids.

My cats are scarier than the dog!

Lemongrass, not sure if you meant it like this but i do find it funny when a little dog starts yapping at a doberman or something that would rip it apart and the other dog just looks at it, as long as you don't actually let him off the lead, there's not really a problem, I'm sure the dog wasn't brought up to act like that.

Never had any other dogs other than Russells, Fine animals with hearts larger than a lion. Ok, so they don't like "other" dogs, so what. Hundred years of breeding to be Working dogs, you can't expect any thing else. We have a Patterdale now for the first time, simple reason I could not find a proper Russell in time for my wifes birthday, but came across this Patty. A little heavier built than our previous Russells, soft as tripe with the both of us (as it should be) but hates most other dogs with a vengance. Comes with the breed and is part of his genes. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Regards

Angel.

My bold

Is it buggery! My friends got a Patterdale/Lakeland cross and she loves other dogs - she torments my Staffy to death when they're playing "chase", because she's so much more agile than him.

Somebody else in my local park has a full-bred Patterdale and she has a general run round and game with several other dogs every morning.

As for Jack Russells, there's plenty of them around locally and I can only think of one which is dog-aggressive, the others are perfectly fine with other dogs.

If all your dogs have been dog-aggressive, I can't help but think it's because of the way you brought them up, rather than it being part of their breed characteristics. And I don't think that's a very good idea at all - one of these days, your dog is going to pick on the wrong one and end up mauled - and it will be your fault.

ive ad staffies all my life and never ad a bad one. whats wrong with people. fantastic dogs.

We own a 6 month old Staffordshire Bull terrier, our 2nd staffy (sadly our first had to be put to sleep). Both loving, loyal, soft and very gentle with our son and whoever they meet. Also what a very smelly breed they are!!

I am not a chav! But i see where most are coming from with these comments. Its sad that the Staffy has been branded the 'idiots dog'. Its generally the owner not the dog!!

love the dog tainted glasses people.

what kind of glasses do you have deathaxe? cat?? i wear my stafford tinted glasses with pride!

we had our first stafford schan for 10 years - in that time she was never once aggressive to anyone. We had to put her to sleep as she had a terminal cancer - it honestly ripped my heart out as she wasnt just a pet, she was a member of our family with her own personality, quirks, likes and dislikes.

a few years on and we now have oliver and keira, a pair of rescue dogs that when you come back from the shops they act like you have been away for a year, love cuddles and scratches behind the ears, tremble at the sight of a puddle but are the first in the sea when we go to the coast. they are the best breed in my eyes and i wouldnt change a thing about them

I have 6 staffies plus 8 other mixed breeds and i have not had any problems apart from the scratched knees from them jumping up for a cuddle .Yes they all live indoors. A dog is what you make make it (or what you make of it )

I think it's the bad owners that should be PTS and the staffies getting the council flats and benefits..

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Just to clear up what I said about Jack Russells etc..when I walk my ultra friendly Staffie boy he's on his lead, the last thing I need is for somebody's smaller dog to come up to us snarling. My dog has the 'terrier bit' in him and would not not back down from a challenge. I would be devastated if my dog hurt another dog. All about being in control of your pet IMO..

Stop giving those ugly mongrels cutsie names. They are called pit bulls. And all should be put down.

And yes there are allot of them around, usually with some capped moron.

My job day time job brings me into contact with a lot of families who have staffies. Yes they do fit the SWFC bottoms and peeked cap look, but not all a morons. All the staffies I've come into contact with, even the ones owned by morons have been lovely dogs.

Personally I wouldn't trust any dog near children un supervised. Any dog having a bad day being teased by children could potentially turn. If a person is unwell and being bother by others, we can speak out. A dog can only snarl and bite, children might not understand this and persist in teasing a dog.

Is it my eyesight or is every other dog I see being walked in Sheffield a Staffy? For example, I drove down City Road today and counted 9 people walking dogs. 8 of them were

They are a great dog providing they are bred and handled correctly.

i totally agree with you on that one!

Stop giving those ugly mongrels cutsie names. They are called pit bulls. And all should be put down.

And yes there are allot of them around, usually with some capped moron.

staffies are staffies or to be correct staffordshire bull terriers..even pitbulls make good pets in the right hands,it is just so typical that a vast majority of people think like you.talk about giving a dog a bad name.i have handled staffies myself and they are a very loving and affectionate..

Edited by teenyweeny

Staffies are awesome, I play with my neighbours' constantly, and it's one of the friendliest dogs I've ever met in my life.

They're only aggressive if the owner trains them to be so, and brought up right, they're lovely and docile and aren't the sorta dog to arbitrarily pick fights as they don't easily get scared - it's usually little weedy dogs that're more likely to attack because they feel threatened a lot easier.