ADHD or Just Naughty kids "the Star"

in tonights star is an article about ADHD & PDA, is this just a convenient label for naughty and badly brought up kids? prehaps a trial period of good old fashioned discipline for say 6 months would sort them out?

It certainly can be. Some kids genuinely do have ADHD but the sheer amount of kids labelled with it is ridiculous. Autism and other related conditions are the new cool thing to have but it doesn't necessarily mean that every kid has them. That said its not the kids fault its the parents

It certainly can be. Some kids genuinely do have ADHD but the sheer amount of kids labelled with it is ridiculous. Autism and other related conditions are the new cool thing to have but it doesn't necessarily mean that every kid has them. That said its not the kids fault its the parents

Well, do we actually have any figures?

you give something a name and every one gets it, most of them are just naughty kids whos parents think sticking a label on them absolves them of parenting responsability. Its rediculous now half the worlds got an ism

They are very reluctant to test for it because if it is diagnosed families are entitled to extra allowances. There may well be more than we know.

Guest sibon

I don't have any figures, but I do have a bit of experience dealing with young people.

I've met quite a few kids labelled with ADHD who are nothing but badly behaved. They are usually over indulged by their parents.

I've met others who have quite obvious and disturbing problems. They need very special care and attention and no little amount of patience.

I've absolutely no doubt that ADHD does exist. I've equally no doubt that many parents use it as a convenient label to camouflage badly behaved offspring.

I don't have any figures, but I do have a bit of experience dealing with young people.

I've met quite a few kids labelled with ADHD who are nothing but badly behaved. They are usually over indulged by their parents.

I've met others who have quite obvious and disturbing problems. They need very special care and attention and no little amount of patience.

I've absolutely no doubt that ADHD does exist. I've equally no doubt that many parents use it as a convenient label to camouflage badly behaved offspring.

Precisely so

I completely agree. I think that some young people will inevitably display all or some of the characteristics that define ADHD, but I think that the personality disorder check lists that psychiatrists now use ought to be used with much more care and thought than seems to have been applied in the past.

As far as I'm aware these check lists were created in the '70's after the 'Rosenhan experiment' (and others) showed that psychiatrists were not capable of distinguishing those people who did not have a personality disorder from those who did:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosenhan_experiment

The outcome was to create a whole system of different personality disorders with systematic lists defining the symptoms and to try to fit people into a category based upon the symptoms they described having.

The problems I see with this are:

1) children might be very poor at describing their own symptoms and might not understand the line of questioning,

2) parents could be poor at describing their child's behaviour because children often behave differently when they are away from their parents,

3) behaviour is too complex to fit easily into simple check lists and

4) the system is open to abuse from large pharmaceutical companies that sell their drugs to doctors.

People are too quick these days I think to define either themselves or others as having a specific disorder. Young people who are labelled with ADHD are affected by this for life both in terms of how they perceive themselves and also with regard to how others treat them. In some cases, what may have been simply a phase of behaviour could have resulted in a child being labelled for life as having a personality disorder. On the other hand, a system of diagnosis with no controls or checks can be highly subjective, unreliable and open to abuse.

There's a lot because it's useful for some families to get their kids labelled with some condition or other, they get extra money for it. I can see why some people are glad to get their kids labelled no matter what the later consequences for the kids could be. It can be worth a ton a week extra to them. If you can get two or three of them labelled, that's a wage ...

Why dn't you come and spend a day with my autistic son before you start saying its cool. He struggles with what "normal":loopy: people would call minor on a daily basis.

I am also deeply offended by you thinking autism is the parents fault.

You seriously need some educating :rant:

There's a lot because it's useful for some families to get their kids labelled with some condition or other, they get extra money for it. I can see why some people are glad to get their kids labelled no matter what the later consequences for the kids could be. It can be worth a ton a week extra to them. If you can get two or three of them labelled, that's a wage ...

There are also a lot of parents out there who could claim every benefit going and choose not too. Me being one of them!

^^^What he says.

It is disrespectful to every child with genuine problems to have the term hijacked and devalued by everybody who has trouble controlling their child.

EDIT- and the same applies to autism and Aspergers. Anybody who really does have a condition on the autistic spectrum is being done a disservice by everybody who decides that their child has autism because they're being naughty.

Edited by medusa