Badgers and dogs

I saw my first Badger early this morning, less than 2 metres from me :) D shot off into the woods so I called him to stop which he did. As he was sniffing around in the distance a Badger ran right past me! Thought it was a old staffy in the dark to start with but thought it ran too slow :hihi: They are stocky lttle things and run pretty slowly even though you could see it was really trying to run fast to keep hidden away from D.

I was very thankful that D slowed and stopped when I called him as I don't fancy his chances against a badger (and he wears a muzzle) and glad no harm came to the badger :) D's doggy friends had just shown up too as they had also caught wind of badger smell so that also distracted him. It is quite scary how slow they actually move as they would be a bad combination with a dog :(

I was really pleased to see one though, after 3 years of walking in the dark mornings it was great to see a badger and one so close it was almost touching distance!

was it around woodhouse i know theres a sett around herre but have yet to see one of them would love to as theyre beautiful animals

Not woodhouse, but I bet there is quite a few up that way as you have some nice countryside up there.

I'm not going to state where they are just incase there is some people who wish them ill. I was surprised they live somewhere so built up :) I see foxes most mornings but it was a treat to see a badger.

Edited by Evei
spelling

badgers wouldn't cause problems for most dogs.

No I was more worried what damage the dog would do to the badger!

where abouts was it? and what dog you got?

where abouts was it? and what dog you got?

It was within 3 miles of the city centre. I have a labrador sized cross breed (some sort of bull breed/ labrador/ complete heinz57) He has quite a keen nose for larger animals :rolleyes: So has to be controlled carefully around them. I think he will be on high alert for the next few days.....hoping he will forget that he ever saw one :)

I did a home check recently for a family who have a badger sett in their garden. They are less than a mile from Malin Bridge, so it just goes to show how close in towards humans they choose to be sometimes.

I thought I'd had my strangest form to fill in when I assessed the dog that is fine with dogs, cats, horses, livestock and postmen but terrified of alpacas (!), but then I had a home check which included finding a dog which isn't going to have a problem with the badgers!

A badger would be a problem to a dog if the dog attacked it. A badger can do some serious damage if hes fighting to defend himself.. you are so lucky to have seem one, they are beautiful animals.

Actually they have very strong claws for digging that can do damage if they feel cornered and threatened by a dog. That's why dogs get horrific injuries from badger baiting.

I thought I'd had my strangest form to fill in when I assessed the dog that is fine with dogs, cats, horses, livestock and postmen but terrified of alpacas (!),

Love it :hihi: I bet you thought you were seeing things!

We live in quite a built up area and my brother took the dog into the garden about 2am the other day to have a wee before bed, and a badger almost knocked my brother over trying to run past him and away from the dog so quickly! (Benji wasn't chasing him, but I guess it must have been a shock at that time in the morning having your peace interupted by a giant black mutt)