Camera advice please

right im looking for my next purchase in camera! curently i have a nikon d40x which in turn is a good camera for beginners but im looking to step up to another level with somethin bit more advanced but not (toward the top end) if u get me lol!

i was thinkin of stickin with nikon but wud consider a canon!?

i got £1,000 t spend so please fire away with suggestions

ta

Some thoughts.

If you have lenses etc for Nikon, changing to Canon will mean new lenses so you will get less for your grand.

What is it about the D40x that you are now dissatisfied with? If it is, say, that indoor action shots are too grainy, then go for a model that has a sensor that will cope (e.g. D700). Work out what you want then save up for the model you need if it's more than your budget - you don't want to spend that much and still not be totally satisfied.

I have the D90 and the D700 and love them, If you want a play on the D700 you are more then welcome to try mine.

ive been looking at the d700!! the spec looks great and would defo like to try it out sometime in the near future! i would only be intrested in the body as i have 2 lenses for my d40x already!

what lenses do you have? they might not be very good at all on a camera with the sensor resolution of the D700.

most lenses could out resolve a d40 sensor. meaning you get the best out of that sensor.

you may find the D700 shows up alot of defects with lenses that are made to a price point rather than optical performance.

I noticed this moving from a 400D (d40 equiv) to a 50D a few years ago.

As stated what are you not able to get from the D40?

Edited by ndegwa

for me it feels really amateur-ish if that means anything! i know they define some cameras as pro-sumer so im going on that. I found the d40x faultless but to me it fees like a small amateur DSLR! i want something that looks the part, i no tht a bad excuse and shouldn't do that! The light meter is somewhat confusing at times and the LCD display isnt the best!

you are right, its not the best way to look at things. If you can acheive the results you want from that camera, you might find a lens purchase may broaden your photographic capability.

If i owned a race car, it doesnt mean i can drive well. same with a more professional camera. I only upgraded from the 400D to the 50D when i reached the shortcomings of that camera, specifically , faster shutter speeds, spot metering, lens micro adjustment are a few.

I have what i think are great shots with my 400D that i have hung on my wall and proud of! most of my money has been spent on lenses to get the best out of the camera.

you may spend £1000 on a new camera, are you prepared to spend that just for the sake of what other people think of your existing camera. The proof is in the images and not the tool used to create those images.

the light meter is confusing? hmm maybe an understanding of how it works is a cheaper and better option. The LCD dispaly - well the only one you should rely on is your pc monitor, as long as the histogram shows a good exposure and you know you have got the correct focus in place i wouldnt worry about it. Its bad form to rely on the back of the camera.

Even with my 3 inch LCD's on both thte 50D and my 5DII i miss things that i see later on when i get the pictures on the computer. Use the viewfinder to get your focus and framing, use the histogram to check exposure.

thanks for the advice! I been contemplating the d700 camera! what is the 50d like? Would you suggest i stick with the d40x or build up work with a new lens? I considered a new Nikkon 50mm f1.8D to add to my collection! can you recommend a lens to use that would be good for wedding and possibly fashion photography!

with the D40 i dont know as it has the screw motor if i remember correctly. You need to find a lens with a constant aperture of f/2.8.

For weddings probably a lens in the range of 17-55mm with the above aperture, it will set you back a lot, however if you do feel the need to change the camera, as long as it has the crop sensor you will not need to ever change the lens.

a lens with a similar field of view on the D700 would be the 24-70mm f/2.8 which is a beast in size but a very good lens optically.

so i shud stay away from any real big zoom lenses (say 70-200m) - i think the aperture is f4 so it limits the depth of field i would get say doing some portrait work as such! I have 2 lenses already, the standard 18-55 which provides good clarity in colour and contrast but feels again really amateur-ish and im looking to invest in a decent lens if i stayin with the nikon that has a either the f1.8 or 2.8 giving different amounts of depth of field!

I have a D40 and I love it. If you look on the camera groups on Flickr you will see stunning photographs taken with the camera that rival those taken with the top end Nikon models.

You would maybe be better investing in some lenses such as a good quality prime. I have the Nikon 1.8 50mm, which on a D40 is manual focus, but after a while focusing becomes second nature. You could also get a flash gun that would allow you to bounce light from a surface perpendicular to your target, resulting in a more natural shot.

If I were you I would stick with the D40 for a while longer. If it is simply the feel of the camera, have you thought about getting a battery grip, as these "bulk it up".

The only time you'll need the better camera is if you are shooting indoors with no control over the lighting (indoor sports etc) for those conditions you need the pro camera and the very expensive lens to go with it.

I'd stick with the D40 if I were you, i'm not sure what lens you have at the moment but you will see a massive difference between the sharpness of the kit lens and something like the 50mm f1.8.

If you want a new camera have a look at the D7000 that's just come out, that's what I'll hopefully be getting once the price drops a little.