Remember The Old Bulls Head Little Hucklow in the 1970s?

Good news,or so it seems.Crosthwaites have sold the pub for a £170,000 to a local person who intends to open it back up as a pub later on this year.If this was to happen it would be brilliant to be able to sample a pint or two in the lovely 'Bulls Head'.

That would be great if that happened but I think the planning authorities relaxed planning so that it could be converted to a house. We'll have to wait and see.....unless you know more!

I'm just going on what it says on Crosthwaites site.You are probably right as I think it would cost too much to return it to a licensed premises,but we can only hope.

I'm just going on what it says on Crosthwaites site.You are probably right as I think it would cost too much to return it to a licensed premises,but we can only hope.

Aah ! yes ! it would be like turning back the clock..lovely memories....We'd regularly visit 'The bulls head' at Little Hucklow... from Sheffield... back in the 1970s. It was the quintessential English country pub.. tiny..cosy and warm with all the horse brasses... nailed to the oak beams, and an open fire. Sadly, it seems the small pubs have had their day... and need to be larger.. family friendly.. acres of car parking and have an extensive menu. If the 'Bulls head' did ever open as a pub again... I would be one of the first in the queue.. on opening day...

I remember the bulls head we used to go there in the 70s about once a month along with other pubs in that part of Derbyshire. there was and still is a pub just down the road going down from morsel head I just can't remember the name of it. what was interesting about the pup was that it had a small bar with nothing on it no beer pumps, when you ordered a pint the land lord who was an old man had to go through a door into a small cellar, and on a home made rack where barrels of beer stood and he would draw the beer straight from the barrel only problem with that was the beer was always warm as there was no refrigeration in there and it was always flat happy days err not

I think you may be talking about the Three Stags Heads, it's still there and opens at weekends. It's not changed - no lager, irascible landlord, dogs sleeping everywhere, dark, fire in the grate, but absolutely fantastic. If you've never been I recommend you visit soon, I suspect it won't be around for too long!

Does anyone remember this pub in the 70s when there was a fairly old landlord who was quite a character - sang - really friendly and full of fun? An old friend from the USA who visited us in '76 is trying to remember which pub we took him to on that trip and I am wondering if it was this one?

He says:

"What was the pub out in the countryside you all took me to? Where I got a wide bruise on my forehead from not bending low enough to go through the doors? And the publican was a right jolly old fella. They had Shakespearean characters carved in wood as the handles to draw the ales...and I remember that someone told me the handles were actually from the bells that night watchmen used back in the day"

I go to Bulls head in foolow which is just up from Bradwell near Hucklow it is a great old pub and serves great food and beer

---------- Post added 22-01-2016 at 17:22 ----------

I think you may be talking about the Three Stags Heads, it's still there and opens at weekends. It's not changed - no lager, irascible landlord, dogs sleeping everywhere, dark, fire in the grate, but absolutely fantastic. If you've never been I recommend you visit soon, I suspect it won't be around for too long!

Great folk music in the three stags

Drove by there...rather detoured there....yesterday. Unbelievable but it is still in its same sorry state of dilapidation. I thought doer uppers were hard to get in the Peak District. I believe it has PP for residential use.

Its been like that for a couple of years.It was sold for £150,000 on condition it was turned back into a pub but it now seems like the owners are going through the back door to try and change the planning to residential.The Peak council planning department originally refused to allow the Bulls Head to be turned into residential use,lets hope they do so again.

Good news.The builders and the plumbers are in the Bulls Head and it is going to be re-opened as a pub.Was talking to the builder and when he came to the pub to price up the job,all the pumps and various pud paraphernalia was still inside the building but when he arrived to do the work,the pub had been stripped bare,pumps and everything had gone.I asked if anyone had seen the brilliant, old,iconic Bulls Head sign that had hung outside the pub but the answer was no.Wonder who has got that!Anyway the Bulls Head looks like it may well be extended as I saw RSJ,s in the ceiling.It turns out that the lady who has the house next to the Bulls Head actually bought the pub but  has now sold it along with  the house and land at the back.The builder said the pub may be open by Christmas but there were some dubious looks.He also said that the last landlord at the Bull had two artificial legs.I didn't know that.Anyway,I don't suppose the re-vamped Bull will resemble anything like the original but it will still bring back happy memories and it is fantastic news that it is going to re-open as a pub(probably a restaurant as well).Happy days.

That’s really good news. Hope the venture is a success.

Drove past the bottom of the lane today, there is a sign that says Blind Bull opening in spring. Hope they make a success of it

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your interest in  The Old Bulls Head in Little Hucklow – we are delighted to announce that the refurbishment of the pub (now known as The Blind Bull) is almost complete, and we will be opening in July 2020! Please do drop by and say hello - we would love to hear your memories of the pub, and any information you can share about the pub's history.

Please follow us for further updates:

We look forward to welcoming everyone very soon.

Cheers!