Annoying sales phone calls

Is it just me or have there been loads more unsolicited sales calls this last week? I'm getting about eight a day now. Have just applied to BT for their blocking service.

Leaving the phone in front of the radio now untill they hang up.

I sometimes stay on the phone and pretend to sell them something haha.

Originally posted by GazB

I sometimes stay on the phone and pretend to sell them something haha.

haha yeah, either that method or tell them to Fock off! they cant complain against us can they!?

Yep...loads. And they always pick such daft telephone names...My recent favourite was a guy in India claiming to be called Bob Wilson....I laughed out loud.

Just start talking jibberish for a few seconds then hang up..And then sit back and imagine the puzzeled look on their face:loopy: :heyhey: I know it wont stop them but it brightens the day up:thumbsup:

I'm on the phone preference service, I ALWAYS tick the 'please don't contact me' box, I don't give my number out to people and I have a protected ex-directory number, so I don't leave a 1471 trace (this was originally because I was with someone who ex-special forces, and they prefer discretion so various nasty people don't find out where they are).

I have to say that the last time I received an unsolicited sales call was about 5 years ago. I told them that I'm on the phone preference service and they apologised and hung up.

Highly recommended.

Originally posted by medusa666

I'm on the phone preference service, I ALWAYS tick the 'please don't contact me' box, I don't give my number out to people and I have a protected ex-directory number, so I don't leave a 1471 trace (this was originally because I was with someone who ex-special forces, and they prefer discretion so various nasty people don't find out where they are).

I have to say that the last time I received an unsolicited sales call was about 5 years ago. I told them that I'm on the phone preference service and they apologised and hung up.

Highly recommended.

This is what I have just requested. I'm very careful about ticking the right box and am ex directory too. In fact, not ex directory, never been in it!

Never get any spam email. So where did these folk get my telephone number?

Also, most of them don't know my name. Are they just using a computer a dial random numbers untill they find ones that work?

Originally posted by GabbleRatcht

This is what I have just requested. I'm very careful about ticking the right box and am ex directory too. In fact, not ex directory, never been in it!

Never get any spam email. So where did these folk get my telephone number?

Also, most of them don't know my name. Are they just using a computer a dial random numbers untill they find ones that work?

Yes, it's the automatic diallers that did it, yer honour!

It will take a few months for everybody's lists to be updated and for your number to be added to the diallers' databases of prohibited numbers, but then you too can look forward to a bit of piece and quiet.

The one step I've not taken yet is having a number that doesn't take calls from anonymous numbers (although I know people who have) as what I have now seems to work.

BTW, talking of promotion, a mailshot came through my letterbox today addressed to the occupant before last of my house. Not too bad? I've been here for 14 years, and the previous residents were here for 9. That's a mailing list that's 23 years out of date!

Ive been called about a Dozen times by One tel and have complained to the manager and will be blocking calls in future.

Hear the silent gap...hang up the phone.

Sorry to all those folk out there that talk slowly ;)

We use this, we get about one sales call a month now. oh and its free.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) helps you to make sure your telephone number is no longer available to organisations, including charities and voluntary organisations who may telephone you with offers and information you do not wish to receive

Under Government legislation introduced on 1st May 1999 and replaced on 11th December 2003 by the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003, it is unlawful to make unsolicited direct marketing calls to individuals who have indicated that they do not want to receive such calls.

You can either do this by contacting companies directly and asking them not to call you or you can register with a central register - the TPS.

Before you register however...

You should reflect on the fact that registering may well prevent you from receiving information which you would really like to have - thereby cutting you off from relevant and worthwhile opportunities. For charities, telemarketing is an economical way to raise awareness and much needed support.

If you are happy to receive telemarketing calls from some companies but not others, contact the companies who you do not wish to hear from and ask them to remove your details from their call lists. Registering your telephone number on TPS will stop telemarketing calls from all companies, charities and voluntary organisations not just some!

Registration will also prevent organisations who regard you as a customer, or in the case of charities, donors from calling you again, unless you have previously told them that you have no objection to them calling you.

Do you know you can register mobile telephone numbers?

The Telephone Preference Service can accept the registration of mobile telephone numbers, however it is important to note that this will prevent the receipt of live marketing voice calls but not SMS (text) messages. This is because under the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2004 it is unlawful to send an unsolicited sales and marketing text message. Telemarketing companies who send SMS messages need your prior permission. There is no obligation therefore for companies sending SMS messages to people who have agreed to receive them, to screen against the TPS file. If you wish to stop receiving SMS marketing messages, please send an 'opt-out' request to the company involved. The Information Commissioners Office (ICO) is responsible for the enforcement of these regulations. Please click on the useful links page for their details.

Im on TPS (telephone pref services) but they still bloody call.

When you ask for their details after telling them your on TPS they hang up.

I had staybrite windows call this morning telling me there was a special offer in my area.

I said is it as cheap as running your own business that does complete property maintenance and getting it done at cost or better. There was a pause then a voice no probably not and he hung up.

:thumbsup:

i love tormenting them if its international i put it on hands free and let them blurb away eventually they say something like hello hello hello and then hang up.

:) :) :) :) :) thats about the smile i have - if i want what they are selling when im ready i will find them.