Park Drive Cigs Football Books

The current news of George Best being in hospital sparked memories of me as a lad in the 60'searching the streets of Hillsborough for empty Park Drive cigarette packets because when you collected a certain number you sent them off and got a football book in return. I think I remember that 1967 had George Best on the front cover. Any body remember the book or even still got it?

Hi there feelinolder/ I have a copy of that book. My wife's dad was a Park Drive smoker and she saved all his packages to get it.

I have a copy of it and the one that was produced the year after it.

And yes, I remember scouring the streets for empty Park Drive packets!

George was on the front of the first one.

Red shirt, mid-60s haircut, brown-ish ball at feet, launching an attack for Man U.

Can't remember who is on the front of the second one. Could it be Billy Bremner? I don't have it to hand.

Both copies are at my parents.

My Grandfather [God rest his soul] used to give me these Park Drive football books. I seem to recall an interesting article on Sheffield football in one of them too [1968 issue?]. Does anyone have the issue containing the article? I would be interested in reading it again.

In 1968 / 9 I worked as a tobacco salesman (fag rep) for Gallaher Tobacco Ltd Herries road. One of our projects was to get pubs, WMC and the like to take some extra or new stock and as a gift we'd give them a copy, maybe more of the Famous book. Went down well.

I've still got three of these books that my grandfather saved the pack fronts for. The first has George Best on the front, second has Best and Denis Law and the third Derek Dougan of Wolves.

In the 60's there was nothing I liked worse than an EMPTY Park Drive packet.:help:

This is the first book – printed in 1968. From my extensive collection.

Page 4 may be of interest for Ontarian to peruse. LOL.

It was quite common for footballers to smoke up to and including the 1960s. According to this web site, some players still do. Beats me how they can do it.

http://sportslens.com/smoking-in-football/86928/

That reminds me of a game against Everton at Hillsborough in the 60's, I was near the front on the terraces when Roy Vernon(Everton's skipper), a notorious chain smoker, came right over to take a throw in. As he was running over to retrieve the ball, he was almost close enough to touch, when I shouted " Do you want a drag Roy"( I was chugging on a Park Drive). He stared right at me and said "****off" :hihi:

---------- Post added 02-04-2018 at 19:08 ----------

This is the first book – printed in 1968. From my extensive collection.

Page 4 may be of interest for Ontarian to peruse. LOL.

Good one Z. :thumbsup:

Edited by Ontarian1981