Motion Blur Photo Location

Hi,

I'm hoping some experienced photographers can suggest a good location for me.

I've just got my first DSLR (Canon EOS 1000D) and I'm looking to try my hand at Motion Blur Photography. I'm thinking of getting a photo overlooking traffic so as to get a solid line of brake/head lights.

However, I'm struggling to think of a location where I can overlook traffic but is quiet enough to set up my tripod (as well as park my car).

If you have any suggestions, please reply.

Also, how do experienced photographers cope with setting up a tripod with camera, say on a busy high street? I only ask because I have a fear of setting my camera up only for it to get stolen whilst amongst the general public. Naturally, it's not insured having just got it.

Thanks for your advice,

Hi Delayed,

i,ve used the bridges over Park Square roundabout in the centre of Sheffield for these type of shots in the past.It,s a pretty good location for blurring headlights and tail lights.I was with a few other people which sort of gives you reasurance about the problem of having youre camera stolen so my advice on that would be to take someone with you.I genarally use the bridge just below the entrance to ponds forge on Commercial St. as there tends to be quite a few people aeound that area,also at this time of year probebly around 6.30-7.30 is about the best time just as rush hour is dying down and the traffic is less stop start (apart from the traffic lights).One last thing i added my kit onto my home insurance which still gives me cover when away from the house and it worked out cheaper than dedicated camera insurance for the same cover.Hope this usefull to you.

Paul.

Cheers.

I was thinking Park Square or a bridge over the Parkway.

You say around 6.30-7, did you use your flash at that time? I'm not sure if using the flash would spoil the photo say if I were to take the photo at around dusk as the sun is going down.

If you use flash on a night time photo shoot you will only counter the light from your subject and spoil the shot. Not only that but you will distract some motorists and may cause an accident. The best thing to do is set a medium aperture, say f8 and alter the shutter speed accordingly until you get a decent exposure. Then alter the aperture without altering the shutter speed, open up one stop (f5.6) and then close down one stop (f11) to give some variety to the scene, and to give you a choice of exposure.

As for security, a bridge over the Parkway is a very isolated spot and you can be approached from both sides and trapped in the middle with no means of escape. Never put yourself in this situation, always take someone with you. When photographing on bridges remember that as people pass by the bridge will shake. The more people the more the bridge will shake, so timing is everything here. When you put your camera on the tripod remember to turn it on its side and take some portrait shots as well as landscape shots. you do not need to stand in the middle of the bridge either, try to stand to one end and get the light trails moving from the top corner of the scene to the opposite bottom corner, this will fill some of the dead space that is inevitable in this type of photography.

I hope this helps, if you would like to ask any questions please ring me.

Barry

ps. Post some images on here when you have done them.

If you use flash on a night time photo shoot you will only counter the light from your subject and spoil the shot. Not only that but you will distract some motorists and may cause an accident.
Flash can be used quite creatively when carefully blended with night photography and need not be a problem for motorists if used sensibly - speed cameras wouldn't exist if flashes were that distracting! :P

The best thing to do is set a medium aperture, say f8 and alter the shutter speed accordingly until you get a decent exposure.

If the idea is motion blur, you need to set the appropriate shutter speed for the effect you want first and then set aperture to achieve the exposure you want.

What shutter speed do you recommend starting with?

As I understand the situation Jezzy, the op wants to shoot moving vehicles. The use of flash would be no good whatsoever, and would just act as a distraction to drivers.

As to the shutter speed, try 1/8th of a second then try 1/15th of a second and so on. The thing to do is to experiment with the exposure until you get one that pleases you.

As I understand the situation Jezzy, the op wants to shoot moving vehicles. The use of flash would be no good whatsoever, and would just act as a distraction to drivers.

As to the shutter speed, try 1/8th of a second then try 1/15th of a second and so on. The thing to do is to experiment with the exposure until you get one that pleases you.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Having upgraded from a basic compact camera the use of Aperture and Shutter Speed can be a little confusing. Which I suppose is one of those things you begin to understand more when experimenting.

The bridge nr victoria station ( the name of the hotel escapes me) looking towards the wicker should be a good spot. you can walk up from blonk st towards the hotel i shouldnt think anybody would be there only residents of the hotel, in fact i intend to shoot from there, resting my camera on the bridge.

The bridge nr victoria station ( the name of the hotel escapes me) looking towards the wicker should be a good spot. you can walk up from blonk st towards the hotel i shouldnt think anybody would be there only residents of the hotel, in fact i intend to shoot from there, resting my camera on the bridge.

I didn't think of that spot. That's an excellent place.

Thanks. Not sure if I'd be able to park up in there but I'm sure I could leave the car nearby.

If at night park nr alexandra pub its free after 6.30 then a 2 min walk around the corner.

To the OP, is this the sort of photo you want to take Traffic Trails

If so, set the camera to manual keep the ISO at 100 then you need to be setting a shutter speed of say 8 seconds to start with then adjust the aperture to get the exposure you want. You can then just play around with the shutter speed and aperture untill you get the photo you want.

Also set the camera to mirror lock up and use the 2 second timer or use a remote cable to take the photo, this will help cut down on camera shake when pressing the shutter button.