Letsby Avenue in Sheffield; is it a joke?

I was looking at a map of the area where I used to work, and noticed that one of the nearby roads is called Letsby Avenue! As tis is the road where the Police have one of their operations centres, I was wondering which came first; the road name or the police presence?

I'm referring to the old joke:

Q. Where do the police live?

A. 999 Letsby Avenue (try saying it outloud if you don't get it!)

haha

they're new roads built for the airport

methinks "in joke"

Nope, its for real! From my experience, where a new road is created, the local authority (usually in the building control dept.) will have a person who, as part of their job, has to name / rename roads.

It was probably put forward by SYP, based on the fact that the operations HQ is there. Bit like Gillette Corner in London, where the Gillette building is.

Only slightly less odd than Butt Hole Road in Conisbrough- yes, I had to drive past it a few times to check.

Originally posted by medusa666

Only slightly less odd than Butt Hole Road in Conisbrough- yes, I had to drive past it a few times to check.

My friend lived on that road; apparrently the roadsign was stolen several times! :hihi: I think there's a thread about it on here somewhere.

I grew up very close to Pratt's Bottom in Kent. Sad but true.

Originally posted by Kristian

My friend lived on that road; apparrently the roadsign was stolen several times! :hihi: I think there's a thread about it on here somewhere.

If Letsby Avenue's sign got stolen, would that mean a load of coppers had been out tanked up and on the rob??????????

It was in the Star a few years ago. Yes, the police came up with the name... isn't it where the helicopter is?

Ha ha I just noticed this road on the map and thought it was a joke I was falling about laughing at it, hilarious, was going to start a thread but decided to be good and do a search and hey presto already one here!

There is a ****terton and a Piddletown in Dorset,Brown Willy in Cornwall,and a Penistone in South Yorks.

Some roads on an A to Z don't actually exist but they are included as a sort of copyright check to make sure other map makers aren't just replicating the A to Z and passing it off as their own.

Boring but true.

I was looking at a map of the area where I used to work, and noticed that one of the nearby roads is called Letsby Avenue! As tis is the road where the Police have one of their operations centres, I was wondering which came first; the road name or the police presence?

I'm referring to the old joke:

Q. Where do the police live?

A. 999 Letsby Avenue (try saying it outloud if you don't get it!)

From memory the whole area was an open cast mine when this was filled in the airport and buildings was built. It also an access rd layed at the rear. At the time the road had no official name and an officer from the traffic department named it (unofficially).